Drivers vents not as not as passenger vents?

My Edge has dual climate control, though I never use it.

This morning, it was probably 40 outside and foggy, so I started my car and turned the defrost/floor (at 90 deg) on after a few mins. Noticed where the car starts normally getting warm/hot inside it wasn't. Clicked it over to the vents, and noticed the air was lukewarm at best. I feel the passenger side and they're smoking hot like normal. I check both temp settings and they are at 90, not on auto. Stayed like this the whole ride to work, I turned it down to 60 and AC and then back to 90 and it was the same thing.

Come to think of it, I don't recall the air coming out on the drivers side cooling down either when I set it down to 60 and AC.

What could cause this?

Brian,

It may be the driver's side blend door actuator. More here.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/11725-dual-climate-control-repair/

The heater core is also known to clog up due to the failure of a coating that is applied to the interior surface of the tubing. Both driver and passenger sides will usually be without heat if this were the case.

I would start by testing the blend door first.

Good luck.

Thanks autom8r, I posted that while at work, and on my way home I turned the heat on through the vents as I normally would (Not on dual zone), and everything was perfectly fine. Hopefully it was just a one time occurance, but I did notice that the left vent on the radio bezel didnt blow as hard as the right vent on the bezel, is this normal? That right one was blowing out alot more, would be nice to have that from all the vents, dont see why it would be different.

Just had my 2011 in for APIM R&R, BAMR lube, driver side air bag light, and this ... They pulled the sensor put values which tells you what the different devices are being told to do. And IIRC, even what the devices IS doing depending on what it is.

The readings for mine were normal. The mechanic didn't visually see anything amiss with the driver's side blend door actuator. So they called engineering at Ford and were given some pretty specific directions on how to adjust the blend door actuator. Now I have HEAT that is the same on both side .. as well as cold. In the summer when the interior heated up all the ductwork, I could engage the AIRCO and once the compressor was up to (down) tempature, you could really tell a difference between the two sides .. drivers was luke warm. Passengers was COLD.

It wasn't always this way so perhaps there is something that can get tweaked or ??? but they were able to fix mine.

WWWPerfA_ZN0W note: Mine [dealership] said the same thing when I tried to pick it up the first time. I had the service manager come out with me and I demonstrated it quite clearly.

Here is how I did that ... Now that its cool/cold outside .. turn off the climate control. Let the car engine warm up(didn't take much) but leave the passenger compartment cool/cold. I turned on the climate control, fan off to to start with, crank the temp all the up and placed it on vent. Then brought the fan up to high. You could feel a difference between the two sides very clearly. They also tried to pull the "Ford said that a 10` difference between the two sides is within normal variance." (cough, bullshite, cough.) Then I threw in my summer time airco experience and they "tried again" and some how got it right.

Edited by Tacyon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the temperature dropping I turned the heat on but was still not warming up. The left vent on the center dash and the upper vent near the driver side door was not even blowing Luke warm. Checked the vents on the right side/ passenger and they were super hot so hopefully the actuator is the issue. Is this an all day disassemble the dash job?

From the exploded view I saw this area is in the center console toe kick area. There is a "actuator" that moves a damper around one each for each side. In addition there is an adjustment I'm told to the linkage that can be out of sorts .. this was the issue with mine. They can actually read from the ODBII port the position of these actuators .. but if the linkage is out of adjustment, that won't show up on the scanner tool.

** note: I didn't have hands on for this .. so info is via diagram views and what the Ford tech related to me.

• Like 1