Leaking PTU 2007 Ford Edge - Recall???

Yoyoma

I have noticed numerous 2007 ford edge owners with the same issue I had recently, leaking transfer case PTU unit. I also noticed this same issue is happening with Lincoln's and Mazda's of same model type. I believe Mazda has offered owners some sort of compensation/recall/extended warranty for this manufactured defect. My question is what is Ford going to do about this very expensive repair that owners have to pay for that is a manufacturer defect? I did have it replaced for a pretty penny and now I hear a clanking noise when I turn that was not there before the repair. Does anyone know of any class actions on this?

• 2 months later...

I'd like to know as well. Mine just started leaking this past weekend, took it to the dealership to have it looked at and they said that there's metal shavings in the case and it has to be replaced. Quoted me over $1500 for the job. The service manager also said that the part has been on backorder for months and he doesn't know when it will be available. Then, when I go to pickup the vehicle to take it home and condiser the repair there's a metal chain-like rumbling under the car. I took it back to the dealership and they told me that it's the PTU and that my car isn't safe to drive until it's fixed. I love the Edge and it's been a great vehicle but Ford needs to address this issue for all of their customers.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I had my Edge at a transmission shop. He pointed out that the PTU was starting to weep.

The cause is because the exhaust heat cooks the seal on the PTU.

The fluid according to Ford is supposed to be "lifetime".

I think the Transmission fluid was supposed to be "lifetime" as well.

He recommended changing the fluid more often in both. (every 50K)

Because its a bear to get to he was going to charge a pretty penny. Quoted $700 to remove the unit and change the seals and fluid.

Edited by coronan

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 4 year lease on a 2013 Edge and today I was told that the transfer case needs to be replaced by my local transmission shop. They told me the design of the PTU is flawed as it doesn't have a plug but rather a vent. The vent is next to the exhaust so when you travel on the highway and the exhaust heats up it cooks the PTU. I'm not a mechanic but that makes sense to me and the bigger question is why isn't Ford doing anything about this problem. Local tranny shop told me that this is a common problem with the Edge. I still have 2 years left on my lease and I don't want to have to fork out another $1800 to replace it again before the lease is up. I do alot of highway driving so I am over the 100k warranty and must pay out of pocket. When I talked to my Ford dealer they said they have never heard of this being a problem with the Edge. Any input would be appreciated.

The PTU does have a fill plug that can be used for both drain & fill. Not the best way, but it is manageable. Make sure the fill is correct at installation time. Regular fluid service should keep it running well, make sure you get the latest revision (D, I think).

There are 2 speculated reasons for early failure: insufficient fill from factory, and/or fluid evaporation under heavy use. Also, the vent is susceptible under high water conditions (as stated in the manual), so you could have the extender kit specified in TSBs installed to prevent that possibility.

There are upgraded versions of the PTU in the Taurus Police Interceptor, Taurus SHO w Performance Package, Explorer Police Interceptor etc that include cooling, temp monitoring, and separate drain/fill plugs. Still doesn't solve the problem, though: too little fluid.

Yeah, it shoulda been better designed.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Older thread but update for 2014's. Mine was serviced by Ford today (Canada), no seal leaks, just preventative fluid change. Total cost $106 (Cdn), that's like &75 US... Ford fluid, 1,2 hours labor. Fill plug was very easy to find (marked with red paint) just close to exhaust so has to be cool before opening. Fluid was dark but no metal and no sludge. For those of you with a 2014, it's not hard. Best on a lift though. Changed trans fluid at same time, $164 Cdn, Mercon of course...

• Like 2