anyone tried modifying rear window

RobertP

Probably wouldn't work on the Edge with that rear spoiler, unless that was attached to the glass also. The flip-up glass used to be available on the 2012 and earlier Escapes but no longer available on '13 and newer. It might have been a "nice-to-have" but certainly not a must-have. Otherwise we'd still be seeing the option.

• 2 weeks later...

I know you've just purchased your Edge so you've not experience this yet. But you DO NOT want to have the rear window down in any fashion.

Take a drive down gravel road .. you'll only need about 1/4 miles worth. Then pull over and check out your rear window.

Due to the aerodynamics of the Edge there is a rather large vacuum on the rear. Opening that surface will relieve that vacuum into your car. I know a gravel road is an extreme test but this way wouldn't have to drive for miles and miles to see the results. The rear of the Edge is a dirt, snow, water magnet. If that window opened, all that road dust and exhaust fumes would be inside.

Did you get the vista roof aka BAMR ? B)

Had a '02 Explorer with a split rear gate, was great to lift up 1/2 (glass) to reach in for stuff. The3n got a '06.o split tailgate, missed it. Both were the Limited models, just a change in design, probably a cost saving factor, too. My '12 MKX has a power tailgate, must admit, I luv this feature.

• 1 year later...

Forget about the "quarter mile of gravel road test". We drive 4 miles on gravel roads each way from home to highway. Is there any effective "add on" deflector to minimize the dust build up on the back window and under the roof overhang? This is my only real complaint about this otherwise wonderful vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

lol. I think many of you are misunderstanding my thoughts on the rear window. I have no need or want to have it open while driving. My thought was to be able to access the back cargo area without opening the entire rear latch. Say I have something I want to pull out or put in..

Sorry to comment on an old post.

Did you ever look at the size of your rear window, and the distance from the bottom of the window to the floor of the cargo area. unless you are an NBA player you may have trouble reaching your tool when you want to pull it out!