Heat has a weird smell?

briandye

Driving to work this morning and had the heater set on defrost and floor as usual, and on low. I started smelling an odd smell, the heat was blowing out hot and hard as normal still but has a funky smell to it now. I turned it off and then back on a few miles later and the smell wasn't there, but on my way home it's back.

It's on all settings (defrost, vent, floor) I haven't tried the AC or anything besides heat (it's like 20 degrees outside!)

What could this be? I don't smell anything with it off, and there are no odd smells outside of the car.

• Like 1

Im honestly trying to think of what to describe it as, or compare it to and my mind is blank.

Its not musty, or electrical or exhausty. I recently changed my cabin filter so ill double check that when I go out there, but I dont think its that. It doesnt smell like something that would be smelling from the filter, more of MAYBE like a sweet kind of smell.

I havent posted in a few days - the heat has been fine.

Then I get to the carwash the other day, had the defrost on to keep the windows warm since it was like 10 degrees, and started to smell a burning oil smell. Not outside the car, only inside with the heat on.

Thats when I finally remembered to check all my fluids, everything looks/smells perfect. Nothing low, nothing mixed, etc.

I have only gotten that "funky" smell from the heat once or twice since, but its definitely a musty smell. What could cause that? I haven't emptied out my glovebox to get to check filter.

Did you ever find out the source of the oil leak early this year? It could have returned. I had a PTU seal go bad on me, would only smell in the wintertime on startup.

Condensor and/or heater core may need servicing with BG FrigiClean or similar product, applied through the condensation drain. This should get rid of musty/mildewy odors.

EDIT: Per another recent post, some F150 owners had an evaporator coil leaking, creating an oil smell in the cabin. So this is another item you might have looked at.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W