Help! I'm Confused.

I'm on here researching a 2015 Edge for the wife.

I see that they are not going to even build them until January, 2015. OK.

But then I spot an ad in the paper for the 2015 Lincoln MKX. My Local Lincoln dealer has them in stock.

http://findlaylincolnofhenderson.com/Las-Vegas/For-Sale/New/Lincoln/MKX/2015-FWD-Silver-SUV/34226320/

http://findlaylincolnofhenderson.com/Las-Vegas/For-Sale/New/Lincoln/MKX/2015-AWD-White-SUV/33585791/

Am I completely missing something, like the 2015 MKX is the same as the 2014?

Or did Lincoln jump the gun over Ford in putting the brand new model out?

Hope this is not a dumb question.

New MKX is a 2016 should be out by next summer. 2015 MkX is the same as the 2014.

Thanks for the response.

Yes, that is what I was slow to figure out. So the 2015 Edge will be more advanced than the 2015 MKX.

So much for doing an apples to apples comparison in 2015. We were open to either vehicle.

As a Ford stockholder, I hope they know what they are doing. Ford is certainly making it tough for me to buy a 2015 F-150, and now they are doing the same for the 2015 Edge and 2016 MKX,

Oh well.

Ford's taking their time to get the 2016 MKX right, there are only so many engineers and resources, as a stockholder you wouldn't want them spread thinly resulting in a compromised product, would you?

Ford can't legally build a 2014 MKX after the end of the calendar year 2014, so they have to put out a 2015 until the 2016 is ready.

Not sure what you're point is on the F150, it's tough to buy one because they are not for sale yet, if that's what you mean.

Wow... Am I the only one to see that what he meant is that he wishes he could compare between the new redesigned Edge and MKX and make an informed choice before he buys?! He needs a car in the near future. He doesn't want to wait until the MKX comes out just so that he can compare before he buys and he wishes that Ford would put them out at the same time...

Whether that would be feasible/advantageous/the right thing for Ford is another discussion, find someone else to bother. I have to say this is my first post and it is sad that the reason I am doing it is because the forum seniors cannot stop passive aggressively interrogating and condescending others at every question they ask.

This forum is a wonderful resource for potential buyers and ford lovers. Just be constructive for God's sake. Thank you.

• Like 3

He didn't say he was disappointed that he couldn't see both the new Edge and MKX at the same time prior to next summer. He said he wasn't sure Ford knew what they were doing and he referenced the 2015 F150 which has nothing to do with the Edge/MKX comparison.

To be clear, I am very disappointed that I won't be able to look at and drive a new 2015 Edge when it comes out, and then the equivalent MKX in the same time frame. So is my wife. And I guarantee that I won't be the only one. This is not the way to rebuild the Lincoln brand.

And to the gentleman in Post #8, well, I wonder why you and I are the only posters here that understand my dilemma. Thank you!

Without making this into a Ford fanboy soap opera, the vehicle is for my wife. She said that the 14 Edge looked nice, but we might as well wait for the 15's to come out. And if the top model 15 Edge interior was not exceptional, then we would look at the 15 MKX. Except now we won't.

As for the F150 I am interested in, Ford dealers started taking deposits and putting in orders in the first week of September. As of today, not a single truck has been delivered, and no one who ordered one has been notified of shipment. It seems that it will be quite a while before I get to see one up close. Oh well.

And, yes, we buy the newest and latest. Settling has never been my strong suit. What is wrong with that?

To be clear, I am very disappointed that I won't be able to look at and drive a new 2015 Edge when it comes out, and then the equivalent MKX in the same time frame. So is my wife. And I guarantee that I won't be the only one. This is not the way to rebuild the Lincoln brand.

And to the gentleman in Post #8, well, I wonder why you and I are the only posters here that understand my dilemma. Thank you!

Without making this into a Ford fanboy soap opera, the vehicle is for my wife. She said that the 14 Edge looked nice, but we might as well wait for the 15's to come out. And if the top model 15 Edge interior was not exceptional, then we would look at the 15 MKX. Except now we won't.

As for the F150 I am interested in, Ford dealers started taking deposits and putting in orders in the first week of September. As of today, not a single truck has been delivered, and no one who ordered one has been notified of shipment. It seems that it will be quite a while before I get to see one up close. Oh well.

And, yes, we buy the newest and latest. Settling has never been my strong suit. What is wrong with that?

There is nothing wrong with being personally disappointed but I fail to understand why that's a problem for Lincoln that the new MKX won't be out for a few months after the new Edge? As Waldo pointed out - what would be worse? Releasing a vehicle before it's ready and having a multitude of problems or waiting a few months and getting it right? Having lived through the 2011 Edge fiasco with MFT and the Fusion/MkZ fiasco in late 2012/early 2013 I'm going to say that waiting a few months is far far far better. They haven't really even shown the 2016 MkX here yet, only in China so the vast majority of potential buyers don't even know it's coming.

The 2015 Edge is obviously late and was supposed to be out already this year, otherwise they would have launched it as a 2016 model. But again it's better to launch it when it's ready than to launch it too early and have problems or artificially delay the Edge just because the MKX is delayed. Yes, you might lose a few MKX sales to the 2015 Edge but you'll also get a lot more Edge sales with the new model to offset it.

As for the 2015 orders not shipping yet, there is nothing wrong. Yes, the order banks opened in September because they have to get orders in the pipeline. This happens with EVERY VEHICLE that Ford launches every year. The order date was clearly published. The job 1 date was also clearly published. Ford's shipping process for new vehicles is also well know requiring 5 days of error free builds before they start shipping. Therefore it was unreasonable for anyone ordering a 2015 F150 to expect to have it before January.

If dealers were telling buyers something different then shame on the dealers because they know exactly how the process works and when to expect vehicles.

My point is these schedules are normal operating procedure. If the dates don't meet your requirements then you either have to change your requirements or go somewhere else, but there's not much Ford can do to reasonably change that. Vehicles launch when they're ready.

Again - I understand your personal frustration but that's different than saying Ford is doing something wrong.

I do understand your dilemma, but I think you're missing the point. Ford doesn't want people cross-shopping the Edge and MKX. Rebuilding the Lincoln brand means separating it from the Ford brand, both in the physical differences between the vehicle as well as the mental imagery of the customers. So this is exactly the right way to rebuild the brand - separate the Ford and Lincoln so that people are not thinking about them in the same thought.

Think about it, if Ford knew that a group of say 1000 people were going to buy a mid-size SUV and they just had to decided between the Ford and Lincoln, they would sell 1000 vehicles, but they would have to spend the money to design and build 2 different models This is essentially the situation they had with Mercury, they were just pulling from the same pool of customers but spending more on design and marketing. What Ford wants is to take that 1000 people and put them all in the Edge, then go out and find another 100 people who will buy the Lincoln. Obviously they aren't there yet, but Ford's goal is to get to a point where you and your wife don't need to wait until the 2016 MKX comes out, you either know you want it or you don't. If everyone who was checking out the MKX was also looking at the Edge, Ford would have been better off just adding a few extra features to the Edge and killing Lincoln completely.

As akirby pointsout, the F150 is 100% on schedule. Job 1 was just last week, as per schedule, and Ford always builds and holds for 3-4 weeks before shipping anything. Ford is currently running dozens if not hundreds of new F150s out on roads all over the country looking for any bugs or problems. If they find anything, it's much easier to fix the trucks they've built while they are still in a parking lot around the factory than spread out at dealers all over the world. This is standard operating procedure for Ford and will be the same when the Edge starts production in a month or two.

Edited by Waldo

Akirby, are they just doing a build-out for the Lincoln to clear the parts from the system and keep the line going? Can the 15 Edge and MXK be build simultaneously on that Oakville line? Seems like the 15 Lincoln will only be built until the Edge gets started.

Oakville has been building the Edge/MKX on the same line as the Flex and MKT for 5+ years. They even built the Edge and Windstar on the same line for a short time. Shouldn't be a problem to keep the old MKX and new Edge going together. Besides, the 2015 Edge has already started, just not full speed yet.

After further reflection - maybe I overreacted to the phrase "I hope Ford knows what it's doing."

As Waldo points out Ford knows exactly what it's doing. It's also possible that Ford's plan doesn't match your personal requirements or timeline. Which goes in the category of you can't please everybody all the time.

The 2016 MKX should be shown in Detroit in January so you'll be able to compare it to the 2015 Edge before buying, then you can decide if it's worth waiting for or not.

• Like 1

As Waldo points out Ford knows exactly what it's doing. It's also possible that Ford's plan doesn't match your personal requirements or timeline. Which goes in the category of you can't please everybody all the time.

The 2016 MKX should be shown in Detroit in January so you'll be able to compare it to the 2015 Edge before buying, then you can decide if it's worth waiting for or not.

Your Lincoln Concierge will be with you momentarily.

Please wait, your Lincoln Concierge will be with you shortly.

Brooke says:

Thank you for contacting Lincoln Concierge. My name is Brooke. With whom do I have the pleasure of speaking?

Brooke says:

I have not heard from you. Do you wish to continue the chat?

Concierge Visitor says:

When do you estimate that I can actually look at a 2016 MKX at my dealer in Las Vegas?

Brooke says:

I am happy to hear of your interest in the 2016 Lincoln MKX. At this time, we anticipate the vehicles' arrival in 2015, but we do not have an exact date available yet.

Actually, being a rational person, I think, I understand that you can't please everybody all the time.

But I just had the chat quoted above about 5 minutes ago.

Maybe I am being overly picky, but it seems that Ford is not able to even hazard a guess as to MKX availability.. Obviously, since 2015 runs from Jan. to Dec., it is difficult to make plans to compare the two vehicles.

Ford knows exactly when the MKX is scheduled for production. But they haven't announced it yet so they can't tell you. The current date might change.

I'll see if I can find out the current estimated job 1 date. Dealers will get these dates before ford announces it publicly.

And yes, this is standard operating procedure.

• Like 1

Actually, being a rational person, I think, I understand that you can't please everybody all the time.

But I just had the chat quoted above about 5 minutes ago.

Maybe I am being overly picky, but it seems that Ford is not able to even hazard a guess as to MKX availability.. Obviously, since 2015 runs from Jan. to Dec., it is difficult to make plans to compare the two vehicles.

If Ford made public their timing now, it would cause several problems.

#1, People will be hesitant to buy the 2015 if they know when the 2016 is coming out, this causes Ford to need bigger incentives to get rid of the 2015s.

#2, Stuff happens. Some times Ford starts shipping cars within 3-4 weeks of the J1 date per schedule, sometimes it takes 3 months because they find unexpected problems. If Ford announced a date, then didn't meet it, then all of a sudden everyone knows they are having problems. This scares customers away and taints the brand.

#3, Giving specific dates of availability lets competitors plan out there own marketing and inventory. The more time competitors have to plan, the more effective they can be.

So just because you don't know what Ford's doing, doesn't mean Ford doesn't know what they are doing.

BTW, you should see the 2016 MKX in your dealer sometime in early summer, barring any major disasters. But you didn't hear that from me...

Edited by Waldo
  • Like 2

According to my dealer contact the job last for the 2015 MKX is 12/23/2014. No job 1 date for the 2016 as Waldo stated. However they could extend production into 2015 if necessary if the 2016 isn't ready yet. I think it's safe to say job 1 will be sometime between January and April and we should get a lot more details at the January Detroit auto show.

• Like 1