Blind Spot Information System Mod

Texas001

I should have mentioned but thought all would understand that the beeps would only occur when you turn on your turn signal. If I am not changing lanes then I am not worried about a car in my blind spot. Right now the indicator light does nothing

for me unless I check my mirror to change lanes. So I only want the beeps when I use the turn signal to change lanes. Does that make more sense now?

Edited by Texas001

I have been driving with the BLIS system now for about 28 months in my 2013 Edge. I have never found a need, or even thought about, having any type of audio beep along with the light on the outside mirror. Normal driving habits are that you would be checking your mirrors anyhow when you are making a lane change. I have always seen if the light was showing a car in the blind spot and that alone has prevented close calls or even perhaps an accident.

You may not always use your signal when changing lanes for one reason or another (as the majority of Texas drivers don't) and in those circumstances an audio warning would be useless since it would only come on with the use of a turn signal. If you are waiting to turn left from the turn lane with your turn signal on, you would be getting the warning audio alert every time a car passed on the right, or if it was stopped in that lane in your blind spot area.

I have been very pleased with the way the system works and would not want an audio alert at all. I don't believe it is needed, and actually think you would disable it very quickly. Remember, just because cars can be and are equipped with advanced safety features and benefits, it is still up to the driver to use fundamental driving skills to remain a safe driver. That includes checking your mirrors while driving even if you are just driving straight, to be aware of what is happening around you.

I should have mentioned but thought all would understand that the beeps would only occur when you turn on your turn signal. If I am not changing lanes then I am not worried about a car in my blind spot. Right now the indicator light does nothing

for me unless I check my mirror to change lanes. So I only want the beeps when I use the turn signal to change lanes. Does that make more sense now?

It does except you should still be looking at your mirror before changing lanes. What if the BLIS system wasn't working? It's not a substitute for looking - it's an added measure of safety that helps in addition to looking.

What you're asking is completely reasonable, many other auto OEMs use beeps in exactly the same way. I don't know for a fact, but I'd bet that there is a simple toggle in the software that would turn on the beeps, but you'd have to know someone who knows someone who knows the software configurations and passwords, that's not something the dealer would know.

But since the turn signal and the BLIS operate on the network and communicate through various modules, the chance of you getting something to work without writing software is slim.

What you're asking is completely reasonable, many other auto OEMs use beeps in exactly the same way. I don't know for a fact, but I'd bet that there is a simple toggle in the software that would turn on the beeps, but you'd have to know someone who knows someone who knows the software configurations and passwords, that's not something the dealer would know.

But since the turn signal and the BLIS operate on the network and communicate through various modules, the chance of you getting something to work without writing software is slim.

I scanned the owners manual to see if there was a way to turn on an auditible beep, much like the beep you get with the cross traffic when backing up. We all like different things, some guys even like fat girls. If it were possible I would try it and those who comdemned my idea could just leave theirs off. Wonder what the 2015 is going to have in this area?? But right now (less than 300 miles on the Edge) I am still trying to learn all the features in the Sync with MyFord Touch. Thanks guys for your inputs.

.. Right now the indicator light does nothing for me unless I check my mirror to change lanes. ...

Theres your problem right there. You're doing it wrong. This is the main reason they make mirrors reflective. So you can look into them and see in another directions (behind you). Hopefully to avoid running into me or running me off the road.

• Like 2

The Mazda CX-9 has the audible sound, since it shares some parts with the Edge it might be possible. It would really be useful because the Ford's mirror has the a small yellow dot that is sometimes hard to see. In some cases I'd have to concentrate to see it if its blinking or not, especially when sunlight is shining on the mirror. Perhaps the LED can be made to shine brighter.

Our other car is A 2014 Mazda CX5, with blind spot monitoring. This car does produce a beep when there is a car sensed with your turn signal on. Something to note it's that if you are in a dual lane turn situation, that beep will go off as you are turning. It is very annoying, and we wish we could turn the beep of.

On a reconsideration of your purposed idea .. a single ping tone would be useful if triggered a the point the turn signal is engaged AND the sensor was positive.

The cheater way would be as akirby I think said would be to tie a relay in on the LED illumination path and trigger a tone. ( :) Or custom speech ! - in a woman's voice .. LOOK OUT NUMB NUT !) bahahaha.

One last post by me on this subject. This is what I was trying to say that I wanted. Maybe I didn't say it exactly correct and some responded with less than sensible critisism. Seems that the technology is there, just wondering why the Edge BLIS doesn't have a "switch" to turn on/off an auditible beep or chime or "woman's voice saying look out numb nut" as one member suggested.

The mid-size 2012 Mazda6 five-passenger sedan has blind-spot monitors as standard equipment on the i Touring Plus, i Grand Touring, s Touring Plus and s Grand Touring. An icon on the side-view mirrors lights up when vehicles enter the detection area. If a turn signal is activated while vehicles are in the detection area, the system alerts the driver with the sound of a chime. Sensors track approximately 12.5 feet from left to right and about 26 feet behind the side of the vehicle.

I think some guys here got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. ;)

I definitely think, I know for a fact it's a tremendously great idea to have an audible signal on Bliss. ;)

Seriously, without generalizing my own preferences, I would appreciate that one beep when I flip the turn signal. I would find that most useful, not waiting on a 2 left turn lane where I hope everyone is turning left, but more so at 65mph changing highway lanes. But it would have to be on|off selectable. I too find the yellow spot hard to see with the sun behind me.

And for those who got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, before engaging in a turn, I look at my rear mirror, check the side mirror and, if I can see it, take note of the Bliss signal.

Guys, the OP is not saying a Bliss beep would replace everything else. It's just an additional security measure, valid only if you don't rely solely on it.

I think some guys here got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. ;)

I definitely think, I know for a fact it's a tremendously great idea to have an audible signal on Bliss. ;)

Seriously, without generalizing my own preferences, I would appreciate that one beep when I flip the turn signal. I would find that most useful, not waiting on a 2 left turn lane where I hope everyone is turning left, but more so at 65mph changing highway lanes. But it would have to be on|off selectable. I too find the yellow spot hard to see with the sun behind me.

And for those who got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, before engaging in a turn, I look at my rear mirror, check the side mirror and, if I can see it, take note of the Bliss signal.

Guys, the OP is not saying a Bliss beep would replace everything else. It's just an additional security measure, valid only if you don't rely solely on it.

Thank you cv27.

To be fair the original post didn't mention that it only activated with the turn signal and I think we all agree having it beep every time a car was beside you all the time would be most annoying.

As long as you check the mirror - which you should always do anyway - the beep is redundant so while some people would appreciate the added warning others simply find it annoying as evidenced by the comments. Neither is right or wrong - just different personal preferences.

• 2 weeks later...

what he ^ said and to kick the dead horse one more time .. (thunk) while a tone might be useful above 35mph, +turn signal on, +car in the zone, i can not think of any situation where you still would not LOOK first before moving into the next lane.

If you entrust technology too much without human verification, you'll end up being disappointed, big time. Just saying.