power lift gate won't close?

neartheedge

I have 2500+ miles on 2008 Limited and today the power lift gate won't close. Neither the interior buttons nor the key fob will make it stay down. It starts to close and then opens again. I'm afraid to manually force it. Any ideas?

Not enought info.. You writing this from home or work? Is the rear door sticking up in your garage or outside?

You just clicked the fob or interior buttons and it jerked a few times and didn't move or?

Frozen , warm? You need to manually force it if you plan on trying to take it in to get fixed. Probably all it needs to get sync'ed back into normal operation.

We are having warm weather. i returned from shopping and hit the close button but it pops right back up as soon as it hits the bottom. I checked for any obstructions. There is a way to disengage power to lift gate but it won't allow me to do it because it is stuck in open position. Yes....I will have to get it to dealer with it open, I guess. Disappointing!

We are having warm weather. i returned from shopping and hit the close button but it pops right back up as soon as it hits the bottom. I checked for any obstructions. There is a way to disengage power to lift gate but it won't allow me to do it because it is stuck in open position. Yes....I will have to get it to dealer with it open, I guess. Disappointing!

Yeah, I agree...pretty disappointing...I have not had a problem with mine....hope that I dont. Keep us informed on what they tell you the issue is...

:)

OK.......here's what I did and it seems to have fixed it. While I was waiting for my husband to get home, I finally got it to select "power lift gate off" on the message display and I shut it manually. Then I reset it to "power lift gate on" and the lift gate shut properly. I'm thinking it reset it somehow.

Hopefully you are correct...there is nothing worse than having issues with a new vehicle, when you really want everything to work properly...

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
OK.......here's what I did and it seems to have fixed it. While I was waiting for my husband to get home, I finally got it to select "power lift gate off" on the message display and I shut it manually. Then I reset it to "power lift gate on" and the lift gate shut properly. I'm thinking it reset it somehow.

so, you are saying that you can disengage the auto open and close feature on the 2008 lift gate and run it manually?

I am wondering this as sometimes I might go to Home Depot and get some wood object that needs to stick out the back until I get home. On my current VW wagon (I hate that car) I can just tie down the tailgate or leave it open just a tad while camping and sleeping in back. can this be done on the 2008 power lift gate because it seems it is all or nothing (100% open or 100% closed), but your post makes it sound like that option can be turned off to make it fully manual?

so, you are saying that you can disengage the auto open and close feature on the 2008 lift gate and run it manually?

I am wondering this as sometimes I might go to Home Depot and get some wood object that needs to stick out the back until I get home. On my current VW wagon (I hate that car) I can just tie down the tailgate or leave it open just a tad while camping and sleeping in back. can this be done on the 2008 power lift gate because it seems it is all or nothing (100% open or 100% closed), but your post makes it sound like that option can be turned off to make it fully manual?

Yes, the (optional) power liftgate can be disabled by changing the setting for it (on/off) in the dash's Info/Message Control Center menu.

GMan

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, I'm glad I found this thread. Not that I am happy other people are having the same problem, but I guess I'm glad I'm not alone.

This past Sunday (8/17) I encountered the exact same problem with my 2008 Edge. Sunday it was only a week and a day old, so I was pretty frustrated to encounter this sort of a problem so early on. Upon arriving at my destination I raised the gate which went up fine, but then when it went down it would go almost all the way down, but fail to latch and just come right back up. I tried this several times, making no progress I decided to just turn off the power lift gate and close it manually.

Several hours later we came back to the car and headed up the street to McDonald's and I decided to try it again real quick since it was stressing me out. So I turned the Power Lift Gate Back On, and opened it up, it went up without a problem, and then I brought it back down, and VIOLA it latched and worked perfectly! It has worked fine ever since, and I've tried it at least once a day since then.

The only thing I am noticing now is that it is chiming 3 times just as the liftgate fully opens, I don't remember it chiming upon opening before? Only prior to its closing. Does anyone else notice if their lift gate chimes just as it reaches the full open position?

Oh and when this problem did occur it was in a parking garage, someone else mentioned this happen in their garage, however clearance was not an issue, so I don't know how that could have had an impact?

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Wow, I'm glad I found this thread. Not that I am happy other people are having the same problem, but I guess I'm glad I'm not alone.

This past Sunday (8/17) I encountered the exact same problem with my 2008 Edge. Sunday it was only a week and a day old, so I was pretty frustrated to encounter this sort of a problem so early on. Upon arriving at my destination I raised the gate which went up fine, but then when it went down it would go almost all the way down, but fail to latch and just come right back up. I tried this several times, making no progress I decided to just turn off the power lift gate and close it manually.

Several hours later we came back to the car and headed up the street to McDonald's and I decided to try it again real quick since it was stressing me out. So I turned the Power Lift Gate Back On, and opened it up, it went up without a problem, and then I brought it back down, and VIOLA it latched and worked perfectly! It has worked fine ever since, and I've tried it at least once a day since then.

The only thing I am noticing now is that it is chiming 3 times just as the liftgate fully opens, I don't remember it chiming upon opening before? Only prior to its closing. Does anyone else notice if their lift gate chimes just as it reaches the full open position?

Oh and when this problem did occur it was in a parking garage, someone else mentioned this happen in their garage, however clearance was not an issue, so I don't know how that could have had an impact?

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Had this same problem on my 2008 limited. After a couple of weeks or a month of owning it, the power gate came up, and would not close, exactly as everyone has explained it.

It was irritating me so much, couldn’t make heads or tails of it. Even with nothing at all in the back it wouldn’t close. I never attempted to turn off the power lift gate since it’s not needed to manually close the gate. But after playing with it for 5-10 min of manually shutting it, it started latching on correctly when I automatically closed it. But only after several attempts at closing it manually would it start working again.

After more than 8 months of working the lift gate both automatically and manually, I have no longer experienced this issue anymore. In regards to the 3 chimes it makes before automatically closing, I have never paid attention to it before opening.

• 11 months later...
I am having the same problem with my Lincoln MKX. The power liftgate closes all the way then reopens sometimes, mostly in my garage. I just manually close it and then it seems to reset. Not sure what the problem is.

I am having the same problem on a frequent basis. Have you resolved the problem and if so how?

What is the recall number ? When was this issued ? Do you have a TSB # ? Sorry for all the questions, just would love to have the irritating issues with this liftgate solved.

There is no recall, and I can't find any tsb related to that concern with his fix. There is a tsb for a reprogram to the LTM.

• 4 months later...

My 2008 with 45,000 kms has being doing this as well. It will close and then rebound as if it hit something but the area is clear. The dealer could not get it to happen and suggested keeping a log. It does seem to happen more often when it's cold outside than warm but so far there is no clear pattern. It will work great for a month and then refuse to close. I close it manually with disabling the power liftgate. I assumed since the power lifter provides no resistance that I could just close the door. I hope that is not damaging anything.

• 3 months later...

After a long battle with the dealer (even letting them drive it for two weeks while I drove loaners) they finally gave in and replaced it with another 2008 Edge. I've had it 4 days and today the same thing happened. Liftgate closes and then pops back open again. No obstructions no visible issues with the rubber stoppers or anything. Is it just my spiritual energy? Maybe the altitude or shape of the clouds?

Seriously, are there just a few of us having this problem or is it more common but other drivers are shrugging it off?