2010 Ford Edge rust on hood

Mick

I have a 2010 Ford Edge Limited and have noticed paint bubbling underneath the front edge of the hood on the druver's side. The dealer claims they cannot fix it under warranty because I'm over the limited time. I missed it by three months. I claimed the rust was there three months ago, I just didn't notice it then.

Has anyone else had this problem with the Ford Edge and is there anything I can do to get Ford to replace the hood?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi: I'm in Newfoundland, Canada and just found out I have the same problem. Given the cost of a Ford Edge Limited I had a much higher expectation of quality. The hood is rusting on the lip by the window and the front edge. In fact it has rusted through one layer of metal on the front edge. Since its not completely through to the outside (yet) I'm out of luck. The message we should be all sending to Ford about this problem: Stand behind your products and fix this problem.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi: I had the same issue 2 years ago and also owned the anti-rust device (does not work).. I ended up replacing the hood with Ford at dealers cost after voicing my opinion and dissatisfaction. I was told the same thing, rust was not completely through the hood.

Edited by playgrnd
  • Like 1

For the record, my 2009 Limited AWD Edge, located in Michigan, has the same rust on the front lip on the driver's side. At this point you have to look for it to notice it, but it will get worse. I am not hugely disappointed because the car has been very good and has 150K miles on it.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would post pictures of the rust on the hood of my 2009 Limited AWD Edge. Some background on the car is it lives in Michigan (think salt), is garage kept, waxed twice a year and hand washed fairly regularly. You can't tell from the outside but you can see small paint bubbles (not very noticeable). The internal pictures are much worse then I would have guessed. I think this is a common problem and there must be some manufacturing flaw or some type of constant moisture, battery fumes, etc. hitting this side internally.

IMG_9136.JPGIMG_9137.JPGsnap1895.jpg

Update: Ford says this is not covered because the Rust Hole is not completely through. Very disappointing, since this is the most expensive Ford I've had over the last 15yrs. I was thinking about buying another, but, this rust problem along with other premature rust (e.fg. trans line), I'm planning to go to another manufacturer. Here's a photo.

post-12359-0-11606500-1427375563_thumb.jpg

I think all auto manufacturers are the similar on rust warranties; they won’t do anything if it isn’t all the way through, which doesn’t generally happen within 10 years.

The issue is where metal is folded over are the edges. Moisture can get stuck in there and depending how it was prime/painted it could be bare metal underneath.

I have noticed on the bottom of the doors on my 2011, the metal is not crimped all the way over. I think that is to avoid the moisture trap problem.

Response from Ford Canada. They didn't even get into the fact that the premature rust wasn't (yet) fully through the metal. I'm disappointed because I thought I bought a high quality vehicle, not "dollar store" quality. Live & learn.

Hello Mr. ,

Thank you for contacting the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre, my name is Amy. We received your message sent on March 26, regarding your corrosion concern on your 2010 Edge.

Our records indicate that you contacted the Ford Motor Company of Canada Limited

Relationship Centre on October 30, 2014, case CAS-5467808-R4V9S6, and our Customer Care Representative advised you that your vehicle had exceeded the 5 year corrosion perforation warranty and that there are no recalls or additional programs in affect that would cover this concern further. You then contacted us again on January 19, 2015, case CAS-5842987-F2S8H6, and spoke to another agent. You advised that agent that you were aware that your vehicle is outside of the factory warranty. That agent documented you feedback on the issue. At this time we are unable to provide you with an alternate response.

Our commitment here at Ford of Canada is to honour the warranty on our vehicle during the time and distance period whichever occurs first. Once the vehicle exceeds the warranty coverage period the cost of repairs are the customer’s responsibility. If a program comes out in the future you will be sent a notice and that notice will advise you on your next steps.

Thank you for contacting Ford of Canada.

Sincerely,

Amy Raszipovits

Customer Relationship Centre

Ford of Canada

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue with mine. 2010 Ford Edge, just over 5 years old (not that it would matter). Here is my pic. Unbelievable, and embarrassing as I keep my wife's truck in great condition. Ignore the little stone chip next to the bubble as that is recent, likely because the paint is so weak there now.

Unacceptable for a 2010 car. My 1999 Toyota Solara that I gave to my sister 8 years ago to this day doesn't have rust, and she never waxes/polishes or even washes it very often.

http://s1002.photobucket.com/user/sdpbc/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150419_093855_zpsallx995s.jpg.html

IMG_20150419_093925_zpsip5vq56s.jpg

• Like 1

I've seen lots of incidents of Ford Edge rust - all in the same place. It seems like its poor paint or rusty metal to begin with, or manufacturing error. In response, Ford sticks their head in the sand and loses customers. And to think they keep sending me letters to get me to buy another Edge. Don't get me wrong, I've had other rusty vehicles, especially in the 70's, but 80s, 90s and 2000s vehicles didn't have this much rust within 5 yrs. Shame on you Ford.

• 1 month later...

I just paid off my 2010 Ford Edge and was looking forward to a little time driving without monthly payments and perhaps saving towards a newer Edge. Imagine my disgust when a month later I notice bubbling on a wheel well. I was hoping this was an issue being dealt with but apparently not. I guess my next car isn't a another Edge. That's just bad PR Ford.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm taking the same position. After 4 consecutive Ford vehicles, I'm at the end. No more Edges or Fords for that matter. I thought the premature rust problem was a thing of the past. Just waiting for Ford to send me more promo material, then I'll let them know.

• 11 months later...

Weird. We live in Ohio and our 2010 Edge has seen plenty of salt, but the hood looks perfect in that area. It may help that I always open all the doors, rear hatch and hood to wipe everything clean after a wash.

I just sold my old 2000 F150 which had all kind of rust issues. I slowed the rust way down on that vehicle using anti-rust products a few years back. I plan to be way more aggressive early on with the anti-rust treatments on the replacement truck (2013 Raptor!) and on the Edge.

Fluid Film, Amsoil HD metal protector, and Leer ACF-50 are all good for preventing rust. If it's already started, you need to hit it with rust converter first (I use a spray from Mar-Hyde), followed up with a good paint to seal the converted rust, then soak the surrounding area with one of the rust preventors.

When it comes down to it, the hood is probably the best panel to have rusted if you are going to have anything rust. The paint gets torn up from rock chips, and it's very easy to replace. There are no electrical wires or mechanisms or any kind to deal with. Just paint the new panel, pop the hood liner and washer fluid nozzles in and bolt it on.

• Like 1

Dear All,

I have the same problem for my ford edge 2008-09 model hardly run only 130 KMS and living in UAE. There is no rain here and still the roof of the car got rusted. How can I fix this ? It is very expensive doing it in the dealer workshop. Can any one recommend how to fix this. Attached pictures...post-41139-0-53156500-1463026659_thumb.jpg