Adding OEM Remote Start - Kits & Parts Explained (detailed) - 2011+

I have been researching adding a factory start to my 2012 SEL Edge (no factory remote starter components previously installed). I learned a lot this past week and decided to share. I will apologize in advance as I have a tendency to jump around (in my head and in writing).

I decided on the remote access (smartphone app) factory start and heres what I discovered (IF SOMETHING I MENTION IS WRONG, PLEASE ADD A CORRECTION):

All of the following options pertain to 2011+ model years. If you want to add options for the 2010 and earlier, please feel free to do so.

Please note that in late 2013 (calendar date, not vehicle model year) Ford decided to change the way Remote Start functionality is added to a vehicle. Prior to this change, all remote start features were added at the rear LH (drivers) side quarter panel, directly to the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) module. At that time, the RMST (ReMote STarter) module was the core of the system. It contains a shock sensor and all connections are made to this module (some of the older 200 series units include a separate shock sensor).

After the change Ford decided that the VSS (Vehicle Security System) would be the core of the system, but, this would be directly connected to the OBD (instead of the TPMS). The RMST and VSS look identical in every way. The RMST part number is DL3J-19G367-AA and the VSS part number is DL3J-19G367-AB. They look exactly the same in every way! It looks as though the VSS is rev. B of the RMST (and the VSS box even states RevB on it!).

Basically, Ford decided to discontinue individual all-in-one remote start kits (100, long-range, 200, bi-directional and remote access) to Scalable kits (where you buy each piece individually).

From what I have seen and read, either the older TPMS (RMST) version or the newer OBD (VSS) version of remote starter kits BOTH work with 2011-2014 Ford vehicles. Ford simply discontinued the all-in-one packaged versions (TPMS) of the kits and went with upgradeable/piggyback/build-your-own versions that are connected to the OBD directly.

Heres the instructions before late 2013:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/catalog/accessory_files/2011-2013%20Remote%20Access_Truck3-15-2013.pdf

* Notice the RMST and Remote Start Antenna connects directly to the TPMS via the harness

Heres the instructions after late 2013:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/catalog/accessory_files/2011_2014_Scalable_Kit_Truck_10_18_2013.pdf

* Notice the VSS connects to the OBD and the long range antenna, optional LED and RMU all connect to the VSS (optional 100 series antenna can be added to TPMS for short range remote start functionality).

Heres a list of part numbers that should help pull all of this together (again, older TPMS connected kits will still work fine and save you a bunch of $$ as well):

IKTs, IAs, Fobs (I know they are not Ford OEM numbers, but they work with google :)).

164-R8070 (IKT: three buttons; lock, unlock, panic)

164-R8073 (IKT: four buttons; lock, unlock, trunk release, panic)

164-R8067 (IKT: four buttons; lock, unlock, remote start, panic)

164-R8000 (IKT: five button; lock, unlock, remote start, trunk/liftgate, panic)

* Note, seems like all IKTs have FCC ID: CWTWB1U793 in common

164-R8091 (IA: four buttons; lock, unlock, remote start, panic)

164-R8092 (IA: five button; lock, unlock, remote start, trunk/liftgate, panic)

Long Range Key Fob: DS7Z-15K601-F

Bi-Directional Key Fob: DL3Z-15K601-A

Pre-late 2013 TPMS connected kits (all-in-one):

100 Series Kit: BC3Z-19G364-A (with power liftgate: DA8Z-19G364-A)

200 Series (with separate shock sensor): BB5Z-19G364-C

Optional LED Light (for shock sensor): DM5Z-19D596-A

Bi-Directional Kit (without shock sensor): BT4Z-19G364-A

Long-Range, One-Way Kit: CL3Z-19G364-A (with keyless start: CL3Z-19G364-B

Remote Access Kit: DL3Z-19G364-A, (optional: add TPMS Antenna, DA8Z-15603-A for series 100 IKT start)

* Hood Switch (BT4Z-19G366-A) needs to be installed for any kit to work

Post-late 2013 OBD connected kits (scalable, pick and choose options):

100 Series Kit: BC3Z-19G364-A (with power liftgate: DA8Z-19G364-A) - Does NOT Require VSS Installation

Vehicle Security System: DT4Z-19A361-A

Long Range Aerial Antenna (for long range/one-way and bi-directional starters): DL3Z-15603-C

Optional LED Light (for VSS indicator): DM5Z-19D596-A

Long Range Key Fob: DS7Z-15K601-F

Bi-Directional Key Fob: DL3Z-15K601-A

Remote Access Unit (for smartphone remote start): DL3Z-19A390-B (US), DL3Z-19A390-C (Canada)

* Hood Switch (BT4Z-19G366-A) needs to be installed for any kit to work

Finally, programming and activation:

Activation of the Remote Starter feature of the vehicle itself requires a trip to the dealer. This should take no more than 15 minutes for them to connect your car to the Ford IDS Scan tool (or any local shop that has access to it). They simply need to select and activate the remote start options in the menu.

The learning of the remote start system (separate procedure from the IDS activation) is explained in the remote start instruction manuals.

If you want to program additional keys (PATS), you can follow the procedure in the owners manual (this will allow the key and/or fob to be used (including IA fobs). You MUST have two existing programmed keys in order to be able to DIY this (if not, youre off to the dealer or a locksmith with programming tool).

The remote (smartphone) access can be done over the phone and takes 10 minutes. If you purchased your kits from Levittown Ford, Benny will do this for you over the phone.

I think I covered the basics. There are already some excellent threads that include a lot more detail and photos.

I just installed my Remote Access Kit (older TPMS one) and had it activated today (purchased on Ebay). Despite the fact Ford is only offering the OBD/VSS version now, mine activated and works just fine with no issues.

Hopefully this helps someone as much as it helped myself.

Edited by candurin
  • Like 3

Just to add some extra info from my original post (as it relates to the remote access). My dealer (Chapman Ford in Egg Harbor, NJ) charged me 1/2 Hour labor to get everything setup ($49 + tax). They used the IDS to add the remote start feature to the vehicle and then called ford to activate the cellular portion.

Apparently I was the first one to have this done.

I set up the app to notify me via text and email (in case I was in a crappy cell area but had wifi) for any alarm triggers. I just tested the alarm by way of triggering the shock sensor and by opening the door. I got an email and text (almost simultaneously) that my alarm had been triggered by someone opening the door and then another notification that the shock sensor had been activated.

You will not get notified if there is a mild shock trigger (one horn beep).

The only thing that really confused the service department was that I didn't have a remote start keyfob (which I may still buy). I had to remind them that is why I went the smartphone route.

All in all, best $300 I've spent on my Edge so far.

• Like 1

I lucked out. Once I used your ebay link and searched around a little. I saw another seller offering the same kit. I got it for $242.50!

The seller I used still has quite a bit of them for sale: http://www.ebay.com/itm/311229166183

I just ordered one from this ebay store. How long did it take you to install it? Did you need any other parts?

I have a 2014 EDGE Sport with the Push Button Start and Easy Access options.

Thanks!

Edited by Chris Dodgson

I'm looking into buying one from this seller as well and had a question on the data plan for the vehicle. I assume that this is available through Ford but wanted to see how you handled the data service.

Alternatively, I would typically use this to start my car in the driveway which is within reach of my home wifi. I wonder if you could use that signal somehow instead of the 3G data plan?

-Russ

I just ordered one from this ebay store. How long did it take you to install it? Did you need any other parts?

I have a 2014 EDGE Sport with the Push Button Start and Easy Access options.

Thanks!

It's a very easy install, I have the power rear lift opener..once I figured out how to remove the arm the rest was cake. Stumbling through it should take you 30 minutes.

• Like 1

I'm looking into buying one from this seller as well and had a question on the data plan for the vehicle. I assume that this is available through Ford but wanted to see how you handled the data service.

Alternatively, I would typically use this to start my car in the driveway which is within reach of my home wifi. I wonder if you could use that signal somehow instead of the 3G data plan?

-Russ

Ford has nothing to do with the data plan. Spindance is the actual service provider, cost is $50 bucks per year

I start mine from home all the time when on wifi, you will have no issues

It's a very easy install, I have the power rear lift opener..once I figured out how to remove the arm the rest was cake. Stumbling through it should take you 30 minutes

Thanks for the help. Did you have to remove the whole rear panel or just the panel that covers the lift opener? I tried removing the lift opener panel but couldn't get it fully remove, just lose where it wasn't connected anymore.

Thanks for the help. Did you have to remove the whole rear panel or just the panel that covers the lift opener? I tried removing the lift opener panel but couldn't get it fully remove, just lose where it wasn't connected anymore.

You're going to have to loosen the weatherstrip along the interior LS panel, remove the rear lift gate motor if equipped, pull the rear carpet back on left side, remove 1 or 2 pushpins, unscrew the cargo net hook, then pull the back part of the panel loose so you can get your hands in there, then go in by the left rear door and loosen up the front part of the rear panel..

Now install modules and put everything back together. Just watch the white grease on the rear weatherstrip, it's really messy and will get everywhere..

Edited by TRMN8TR

Here's a great post with pictures on how to remove the panel:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/8434-2011-ford-edge-200-series-remote-start-diy-bb5z-19g364-c/

The clips holding the panel to the floor pan are a b!tch to remove, but no busted knuckles.

Once your have the cellular remote function activated you'll get an email from ford letting you know that you have 3 days free and that you need to activate and pay for the cell services.

Here's a great post with pictures on how to remove the panel:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/8434-2011-ford-edge-200-series-remote-start-diy-bb5z-19g364-c/

The clips holding the panel to the floor pan are a b!tch to remove, but no busted knuckles.

Once your have the cellular remote function activated you'll get an email from ford letting you know that you have 3 days free and that you need to activate and pay for the cell services.

Great post but you do not need to remove that rear panel or seatbelt bolt, just open it up enough to install your modules. Seriously this takes very little time to install. And use a panel puller or fork like tool to pull the pushpins out

I think I have got the install steps down. One last question, There is an option to enable/disable the alarm on the RMST module that comes with the kit. I already have the perimeter alarm that came factory with the vehicle. Do I want to enable the alarm on the RMST unit too? I know it says it's a shock sensor which I am not sure if the factory alarm has that or not.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

So some additional information that might be useful. I just purchased the 4 button keys (so I have remote start from my keyfob as well). I purchased non-OEM keys (which work perfectly fine): http://www.ebay.com/itm/351261924649?item=351261924649&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr and I was lucky that they had them on "sale" for $72.95 a week or so ago.

Edit: I had them cut at Home Depot (no charge as they were my keys, not theirs). The gentlemen that cut them was quick to tell me that they are not responsible if the keys don't work (you're SOL). He also stated that the ford keys were the easiest to cut and I should have no worries (which I didn't). 5 minutes later, two perfectly working keys.

First I tried the additional key fob programming from the manual, but this only allowed me to use the key itself, not the fob functions. The I tried the remote learning programming method from the Remote Start installation instructions and no go. Finally I used this method:

Procedure :

1.Close all doors, then open drivers door and press the Unlock button on drivers door while it is open, insert key into ignition.

2.Turn ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times within 8 seconds, with the 8th time ending in RUN. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming mode. (if the door locks do not cycle, then it was done incorrectly. You must start over by removing key and beginning from step 1)

(Off is the position where you can remove your key, RUN is the position just shy of starting your car.)

3.Within 10 seconds press any button on the first keyless remote to be programmed. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming. If you only have one remote then skip to step 5.

4.Within 10 seconds, press any button on the second keyless remote. Door locks will cycle again to confirm programming. Repeat step 4. for all other remotes.

5.Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

and it worked perfectly. Now I have two remote start keyfobs (for when I am near my car) and the cellular function for when I am not.

Edited by candurin
  • Like 2

So I've been looking at the smartphone ones but haven't bought one yet. While looking though I found a One Way remote start on ebay as well which says it fits my '11 Edge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-ONE-WAY-REMOTE-START-KIT-2011-2015-FORD-F150-EDGE-F250-F350-F450-F550-SD-/231419964770?hash=item35e1b46d62&vxp=mtr

My question though is that this kit only seems to have an antenna and no unit which would look like a remote start. Would this actually work in the Edge by just installing the antenna? Seems too good to be true but for $235 and it comes with two new remotes might be worth it. I don't really need the smartphone start and this would save me $50 a year on the data plan.

Thanks,

-Russ

That would absolutely work. All you need is the antenna plugged into the TPMS (which is exactly what that kit is you linked). The 100 series does not need the VSS or RMST (again, same box with different install locations) module.

You will still need a hood switch and have the dealer activate remote start via IDS Scan Tool for you.

Edited by candurin

I got mine cut at Home Depot. Lowes, Ace or any local place that cuts keys can take care of it for you. I'd imagine a few dollars at most.

But, since you'll need your dealer to activate auto start, they might cut them for you during that process at no additional charge (couldn't hurt to ask).

Perfect, thanks again! I actually found another seller for the same kit but with only one key which is even better. I really only need one key with the remote feature and then it's one less key to have cut.

Now all I have to do is connect this antenna to the TPMS in the LH rear panel and have the system activated? That seems too too easy!

It's that easy (disclaimer: the two little plastic plug/screws that hold the side panel to the floor pan take the longest to remove).

My install took me 30 minutes.

Just make sure you have a t50 torx bit. I had to go buy this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-T50-Torx-3-8-in-Drive-Bit-Socket-H3DHBST50/202913549/

The only caveat would be if your edge does not include the wire harness for the hood switch. But I've seen those on eBay as well. You probably have it though.

Edited by candurin