Adding OEM Remote Start - Kits & Parts Explained (detailed) - 2011+

That's fantastic! Thanks so much for your help.

Those instrustions say to cut & program the new keys before installing the rmst but I can do that afterwards correct? Figured I had to have Ford turn the remote start on anyway so might as well have them cut the keys there too (unless they charge too much).

-Russ

Candurin,

Do you know if the long range remote start is a rear driver panel installation only as well?

CL3Z-19G364-A? Are there different variants? I figured if going already for an RF start, why not long range, as long as it is plug&play. However, looking at some of the pictures on ebay it seems to have harnesses beyond rear panel?

The range will be determined by line of sight. In other words if you're standing in a field and your truck is 500 feet away, it will communicate. Same distance with buildings in the way it will never work. He'll half the time my factory installed 1 way remote wouldn't even work from inside my house.

$485 sounds like a lot, do it yourself and save a ton of money

It is a bit pricey.

I believe the long-range plug&play part is CL3Z-19G364-B. Online about $300 with shipping, + the hood sensor ($25). Assuming about $100 for activation at the dealership if I did it myself. I figured, I wouldn't save that much.

The dealer I use for service doesn't even want to sell this one. He has some after market model.

Does anyone know if the bidirectional has the same range (1000 ft)just with feedback?

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed my unit and I can't say how easy it actually was! 20 minutes and I was done. I tried to get the key cut at Home Depot but the guy there said he wasn't allowed to do it and he would have no way of charging me. I said "just charge me for one of your blanks and I'll take a blank key home or you can keep it" sorry I can't help you.....

Also tried calling a few dealers around me, Northern NJ, and none of them actually perform this themselves. Rather they hire someone else to do it and basically everyone quited me $100 just for the activation and another $100 to cut the key. $100 to cut a key really....

Gonna go to the local hardware store but I don't see any way around the $100 activation charge without driving really far to get to a dealer. I gotta say that it's kinda dissapointing being charged so much for 15 minutes worth of labor.

-Russ

That's a shame rusty, the dealer should be able to bill you a half hour for the activation. You can also see if a local pep boys, Firestone etc has the IDS tool (many service centers do).

As far as the key goes, try lowes or a local locksmith. It's an easy key to cut. Just tell the Home Depot manager that you assume all responsibility. Have you tried Walmart?

• Like 1

I'm still going to try and find another dealer who can help me. As for the key, I haven't tried anywhere else besides HD but I think my local Lowes has the automated key cutting machine and I'm not sure they have another one. Going to try the true value in town, I think they'll be able to cut it for me.

Didn't even think of Walmart actually, but they are right around the corner as well so I'll keep them in mind.

So just an update... I got the key cut at the local hardware store for $4! Win there! I programmed it myself so all the keyless features work and it starts the car. I called the dealer today and they put a call into their guy who installs the remote starts for them, apparently not a normal Ford tech, and he said that the system I got should just work and doesn't need to be hooked up to the IDS. In fact he has never hooked them up to the computer for activation before.

So I thought maybe since I saw two procedures for programming the keys in this thread, one from the manual and one from the remote start learning, that I would try the remote start learning one. Did that and still no remote start, like I was thinking anyway. Called the dealer back and explained that I found the installation instructions from Ford which states specifically to use the IDS tool and exact steps. The service rep asked his tech and he never heard of the activation either...

I have an appt Friday morning to have them take a look and I'm going print out the instructions from Ford, thanks to candurin. Well see what happens now...

-Russ

• Like 1

Had a trip to the dealer yesterday and everything is activated and working like a charm! They charged an hours labor, so more than most were experiencing, but even with that the total cost was only $252. This includes an extra $22 for the hood switch.

Now I have a third key and the remote feature works at a pretty good distance too. Granted I've only tested within line of sight, but mostly I start it when it's in the driveway anyway so I don't really need a lot of distance. I like that it has the auto feature too so I don't have to remember to leave the heat on when I get out of the car at night.

I wonder if the auto feature will automacitally sense the outside temperature and adjust accordingly? (i.e. turn on ac or heat when necessary) Does anyone know? I read that one of the units did but wasn't sure the 100 series would.

Thanks,

-Russ

The conditions of the auto climate do change with outside temperature. The owners manual has a full explanation:

Automatic climate control

For hot weather conditions:

The interior cabin will be set to 72°F (22°C).

The cooled seats (if equipped and if the feature is selected to AUTO in the message center) will be set to high.

For cold weather conditions:

The interior cabin will be set to 72°F (22°C).

The heated seats (if equipped and if the feature is selected to AUTO in the message center) will be set to high.

Rear defrost/heated mirrors (if equipped) will be activated.

For moderate weather conditions:

The interior cabin will be heated, cooled, or off, based upon the previous operating state (last ignition-on cycle).

Heated/cooled seats (if equipped) will be deactivated.

Rear defrost/heated mirrors (if equipped) will be deactivated.

And if you have an SE or an edge without automatic climate:

Manual climate control

For hot weather conditions:

The climate control system will be set to MAX A/C.

For cold weather conditions:

The climate control system will be set to provide maximum heating in (floor/defrost) mode.

Rear defrost/heated mirrors (if equipped) will be activated.

For moderate weather conditions:

The interior cabin will be heated, cooled or off, based upon the previous operating state (last ignition-on cycle).

Rear defrost/heated mirrors (if equipped) will be deactivated.

Something I noticed about auto climate on my vehicle;

Yesterday temp. 18 degrees, no auto climate activated,

Today 22 degrees, snow on windshield auto climate activated,

F/R defrost, heated seats & steering wheel all on.

The only time that all my features work is when there is snow on

the windshield.

Thanks I have an SEL w/ the auto climate. It's hard to tell if what was on because as soon as I put the key in it reverts back to the previously used setting. But I'm pretty sure that everything turned on (seats and all defrosters) which is awesome! I've never had a remote start before so I'm having fun with it now. Well worth the investment!

Thanks for all your help on here!

-Russ

• 3 months later...

That looks right, it's the same kit I used in my '11 but with two keys. Here is a link to the one that I used, you'll see it's the same part number but only one key. I only needed one remote start key and it's $155 cheaper than the one you sent a link for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-thru-14-F-150-OEM-Genuine-Ford-Remote-Starter-Kit-Plug-N-Play-FACTORY-NEW-/161501215986?hash=item259a38fcf2&vxp=mtr

If not for $70 more the same seller has a two key version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-thru-14-F-150-OEM-Genuine-Ford-Remote-Starter-Kit-Plug-N-Play-RPO-NEW-/181322577281?hash=item2a37aaf581&vxp=mtr

-Russ

Yea you will need the hood sensor, but check yours first as some cars already have the sensor. Mine did not but yours is a few years newer so maybe you'll get luck.

If not, the cheapest I found it was $22 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-Ford-Edge-Remote-Start-Hood-Switch-Sensor-OEM-NEW-Genuine-BT4Z19G366A-/191426719987?hash=item2c91ebf0f3

Quick & free shipping too.

-Russ