118 replies to this topic

#61 candurin

candurin

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,188 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:07 PM

No worries. I typically deal with Jeff in the service department, but rob and Kevin are also easy to work with.

My wife and I both have our cars serviced there so we know most of the folks.

But, the hood switch takes seconds to install and the programming is quite easy too. Where are you having problems?

Did you install the rest of the system?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 onyxbfly

onyxbfly

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 292 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:2017

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:45 PM

I did not install the rest of system because I did not purchase it.  All I have is the 5 button key fob and the hood pin switch.  On a different forum it the stated that the 2013 Edge has the autostart built in and all I need is the key fob and have the dealer enable it.   Admitedly I may have misread it and or confused it with diff vehicle.

If that is the case what else do I need. I have the factory alarm. Not wanting to make any more assumptions in error, is the factory alarm the saem as VSS

I'll check in the morning to see if the hood pin wiring harness is there.

Thanks once again.

#63 candurin

candurin

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

If your car came with the 5 button and hood switch, you likely already have the remote start built in.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding (my apologies), but what are you trying to do?

If it's just program new IKT's then you can do that yourself.

#64 onyxbfly

onyxbfly

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

No apologies necessary.  In retrospect I realize that I was not clear.   My car does not have remote start.  My car came with the factory alarm. 

I may have read incorrectly that the 2013+ edges have the autostart built in. I tried to do some research on the issue this morning and I found that the 2013 explorers have autostart built in from the factory.

I can't seem to find the forum that stated that the edge has built in autostart. 

All I have is (2) 5 button keys that need to be cut and programmed and I have the hood pin switch.  My lady called and spoke to Kevin and scheduled me for Wed at 1.  I did not realize that the part that I ordered was just the key.  I need the remote start kit to be used in conjunction with it.  

I might just have to call Kevin and reschedule if I cant sort out whats needed and get it done before Wed.   No ones fault but my own. This is what happens when you belong to multiple forums and read them when you cant sleep at 3 am. SMDH. 

Edited by onyxbfly, 22 November 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#65 candurin

candurin

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:42 AM

So, I may have to open my mouth and insert my foot!

From what I just read on this forum, it seems as though the 2013 edges that have factory power lift gates may already have everything they need. All you need to provide is a new key fob and hood switch.

I was not aware of this!

But, it does seem very easy (almost too easy). You can take a quick look under the driver's side rear cargo panel and look and see if the 100 series antenna is there. If not, you'll need to add it.

It would be great if all you need is a new fob, switch and IDS activation.

Edited by candurin, 22 November 2015 - 11:59 AM.

#66 onyxbfly

onyxbfly

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:19 PM

LOL no not at all.  You are a tremendous asset to the community.  If you have seen it then at least I know I'm not going crazy.
Ironically enough I just got back in from installing the hood pin switch.  The wiring harness was already installed.    

Can you link me to the post that mentions it?  Perhaps you can edit your OP and include it for those of us who are lacking their black belt in google fu.  Ironically enough I looked everywhere but here.    I'll look for it and throw something warmer than tshirt and shorts and see if my lady doesn't mind me taking a break from destiny.

Thanks once again.

Edited by onyxbfly, 22 November 2015 - 02:23 PM.

#67 onyxbfly

onyxbfly

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:30 PM

From what I learned from installing the strut tower bar is that it pays to have the right tool for the job.  I skimmed through the walk through and it states that it requires a T50 torx bit.  I think I have one if not its off to home depot.

#68 candurin

candurin

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:53 PM

http://www.fordedgef...a-remote-start/

I'm feeling a little better (I was correct from my original post).

All you need to add is the antenna (100 series) that plugs into the tpms starter module.

Yes, Home Depot sells the socketed t50 torx bit, which is where I purchased mine. It was under $10.

Some folks have stated that simply unbolting the upper portion of the panel gives you enough room to pull it back and install the antenna. You can always try and see if you have enough room before trying complete removal.

To me, it was not difficult to remove the panel entirely (be cautious of the beige grease lining the panel!). You'll have to do some work with lift gate motor but you're still looking at a 30-45 minute job, total.

#69 onyxbfly

onyxbfly

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:48 PM

This is not going to get done not least in the manner that I thought it would.  I went to one homedpot and they were sold out. By time I got back from a different one the sun seems to be starting to go down. Since I don't have a garage and just my drive way I am the mercy of mother nature.  I did manage to loosen the panel some to see if the antenna was installed and it is not.  

Just to be sure. It wouldn't be installed any other place than where you mentioned in the OP or is pictured in the walk through?

Going to call and check and see if any of the dealers have it in stock. If not I'll shoot Benny a message at Levittown ford a message and see if he can get it to me in time to meet my appointment with Kevin.

Thanks once again.

#70 candurin

candurin

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:25 PM

You should be able to see it fairly easily inside the rear LH cargo panel.

The 100 series (line of sight) antenna is attached at the TPM sensor in the back of the car.

The long range and bi-directional antennae are all installed at the front of the vehicle near the OBDII/vss connector.

#71 onyxbfly

onyxbfly

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the info.  Time to start calling some dealerships to see if the antenna is in stock!

#72 onyxbfly

onyxbfly

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:56 PM

At first I was dismayed that I was not going to be able to install the antenna.   Simply because I was not able to remove the lift gate motor cover. 

Ironically enough in my minds eye i focused on the fact that the tmps was behind the cargo pannel.  I truly failed to realeyes (pun intended) that it is located on the rear of the cargo panel itself.  After looking at the pictures in the walk through and the reviewing the instructional PDF that Candurin provided.  Candurin mentions it above this post and yet I fixated on removing the panel to access the TMPS. LOL RIFF (remember that?) SMDH

Its the only part that i could feel that had a plug that would receive the antenna cable.  Looks exactly like the image included in the instructions and its identical to pic number 29 in the DIY walkthrough.

I attached the antenna with the dual sided tape that was included.  There was no zip ties included and although I did have some on hand I couldn't loop it through to secure it. I plugged it in and put everything back together. 

Tested the power fold down seat buttons and the liftgate button and all is well.  

Hopefully I am good to go for Wed.

Thanks once again for your invaluable assistance.

Edited by onyxbfly, 23 November 2015 - 06:37 PM.

#73 candurin

candurin

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:20 PM

So, how'd you make out today? Everything working?

#74 onyxbfly

onyxbfly

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:14 PM

She's Alive!!!  They were over booked what should have been 15 min turned into a few hours. But sh!t happens. 

He asked me why didn't I go to chappman ford on the blvd in philly?  I asked him if they were affiliated? The look on his face said it all.  He said we don't discuss them.  They wanted to charge me to program the key to my car and then charge me again for programming the remote start.  He said that's why they don't discuss them. 

There was a small delay as one of the techs removed my original key instead of setting it as a back up.  When he went to add it back in they ended up deleting one of the remote start keyfobs.  They ended up resetting the system and sorting it out.  

My lady borrowed the car and set the gps to avoid tolls.  When I used it to go home, I stared at the screen like huh wtf 2hrs+ 95+ miles......Of coourse I figured that out when I pulled into my drive way!!

Good thing I decided to use waze on my phone. I know traffic can be bad on the atl parkway, but 2hrs+ it isn't that bad during shore season unless there is a pile up.

Thanks once again for the assistance and the suggestion on the dealership.   I'll be paying them a visit when my warranty ends up.  100 miles round trip give or take is worth honest service.

Happy Holidays!!

Edited by onyxbfly, 25 November 2015 - 07:15 PM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#75 can0n4

can0n4

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 22 posts
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:08 PM

Sorry to ask this if its already been asked, but has anyone been able to program a long range fob to their system?  The long range fobs aren't keys, they are just fobs.  Was wondering what the process was for this.  Thanks in advance.   I've got the 100 series kit in my car

#76 candurin

candurin

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:41 AM

Procedure :

1.Close all doors, then open drivers door and press the Unlock button on drivers door while it is open, insert key into ignition.

2.Turn ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times within 8 seconds, with the 8th time ending in RUN. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming mode. (if the door locks do not cycle, then it was done incorrectly. You must start over by removing key and beginning from step 1)

(Off is the position where you can remove your key, RUN is the position just shy of starting your car.)

3.Within 10 seconds press any button on the first keyless remote to be programmed. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming. If you only have one remote then skip to step 5.

4.Within 10 seconds, press any button on the second keyless remote. Door locks will cycle again to confirm programming. Repeat step 4. for all other remotes.

5.Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

#77 candurin

candurin

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:43 AM

It's the same procedure for bi-directional fob. Press starter button on fob at step 3.

#78 can0n4

can0n4

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

Candurin - I'll give this a shot, I haven't ordered it yet as I'm waiting to see if the distance is ok with the OEM fob. 

On a side note - does anyone know how to get rid of all the stupid questions I answered in my profile which now show up under my profile pic and make my threads annoyingly long?  I tried to go back and leave the questions blank, but thats not an option. 

Edited by can0n4, 02 December 2015 - 01:23 PM.

#79 akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,814 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:37 PM

I think those only show up when you're viewing your posts.  All I see under your avatar is

Region:

Decline

Upstate NY

Edge's Year:

Decline

#80 Tacyon

Tacyon

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 408 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

I have the push button & remote start on my 2011 limited. I'm looking into something that can seriously increase its range. Its strange, (not really) but the factory RF xmittter will sometimes go 300-400 feet and other times, way shorer.

I located a cellular device that is basically a few relays triggered by a cellular module. You "call your car" and press a button and that closes the relay on a spare key fob that you've grafted to this cellular module. The article that I was reading reported that it worked great but the hack factor and monthly data charges leave me unimpressed.

Thru all your research have you tripped across a way to enhance the factory range?  Either boosting the RF reception or ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users