2007 Edge Subwoofer

Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2007 Edge and have already replaced the stock speakers in the doors with Polk Audio 6x8's in the rear doors and Polk Audio dxi6501 components in the front doors. Next comes the sub... I have read that the Polk DVC840 is a direct drop in, but is there any other sub that would fit the bill from other companies, such as JL Audio, or others? I would like some more definition, and some decent low end. I realize that it is only an 8" and am not expecting bass miracles. Also, is there any fiberfill in the stock enclosure, or is it an empty chamber? I haven't pulled the rear panel for the sub yet, so this is the inquiring mind questions coming out. Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Gary W.

Hey all,

Thanks for the info! Was there any redrilling of holes needed for the Kickers? Empty... OK, fiberfill time it is!! :-)

Has anyone tried a JL or Pioneer sub? I have never been a big fan of Kenwood or Rockford Fosgate, but i am willing to listen if they sound good.

Gary W.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey all,

I finally got around to being able to post pics of the JL Audio 8W1V-3 sub I installed in January. It is a SVC sub, so I bridged the factory amp to the sub. Door speakers (Polk Audio) are being run off the Pioneer AVH-X3600BTS I installed. Enjoy the photos!

Gary W.

post-33595-0-68637400-1423288478_thumb.jpg

post-33595-0-15272600-1423288482_thumb.jpg

post-33595-0-75282200-1423288490_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey all,

I almost forgot... sub fit very well, but I had to drill new mount holes for half of the screws. :thumbsup: I also put about .25lb of polyester fiberfill in the enclosure. The sub is getting crossed at 63Hz in the HU settings, with about a +3 for output to make up for the difference in sensitivity between the JL and the Polks.

Gary W.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Gary,

I know I'm bringing a post back from the dead, but I just picked up an Edge and I'm curious how you're liking your setup. I like the look of the factory stereo, but even with the Audiophile system I would like a bit more clarity. Thoughts on your setup as posted here?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I did a search for my 2010 Edge Limited AWD (6CD, No NAV, w/Sync) sub amp's part num. (8A5T-18C808-AB) and found a post in another forum that stated:

Subwoofer Amp "10-11 amps X ~12 volts = 120-150 watts" - Don't know how accurate it is but seems feasible.

I just opened up my OEM subwoofer to find an appropriate driver replacement. For the benefit of future passersbys, I measured the sub box (9T4T-18C804-AA) volume to be 13.7 liters or 0.48 cubic foot in volume. The box's subwoofer cut-out diameter is 7¼" and the max. sub depth is 5" in my sub box (there may be other sub box versions that are shallower). The subwoofer (6U5T-18808-UA) itself has dual 1.3Ω impedence voice coils. It's overall diameter is 8⅜" and is 3½" deep.

I'm going to try to fit a 8" Kicker 40CWRT81 (fits) or 10" Kicker 40CWRT101 (box needs to be modified) which are the only subs I could find with dual 1Ω impedance voice coils to match with the OEM sub amp.

I know this is not the ideal but it's cheap!

Edited by Tribby2001
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Upgrading subwoofer on a Premium Sound System II in my 2010 Edge Limited.

I ended up purchasing a Rockford-Fosgate PBR300X1 subwoofer amp for more power: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/pbr300x1

It is small and will easily screw into the same location as where the OE sub amp was on the rear of the OE sub box.

Needed a Radio Shack reed relay, part# 275-0232: https://www.radioshack.com/products/spst1a-5vreed-rly?variant=5717505029

You will need this relay to convert the OE head unit's 6Vdc sub amp enable signal to 12Vdc for aftermarket amps.

See below wiring diagram or click> http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1159436-factory-subwoofer-upgrade-7.html#post13251877

Using very affordable custom ½" spacer rings made by http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com (Send them an email with your specs.)

I will enlarge the OE sub box hole and trim a small part of the custom spacer ring to allow it to fit the encroached sub box mounting tab.

In the enlarged hole I will mount a 10" CDT HD-1000CF subwoofer: http://cdtaudio.com/sep_components/subwoofers/hd1000cf.htm

After the sub box cutout enlargement is completed it's a simple matter to mount everything, tie a bow on it, and enjoy some real low end.

OE Subwoofer Wiring Harness Info:

Pin 1 [Violet/Red] Sub Amp Enable +6Vdc (hot when your audio head unit is turned on. :doh:)

Pin 2 [black/Yellow] Ground ⏚

Pin 5 [brown/Red] Power +12Vdc (hot when ignition key is in accessory position.)

Pin 7 [Violet/Green] Sub Signal + (low level audio)

Pin 8 [Green/White] Sub Signal - (low level audio)

Sub Enable Reed Relay Wiring Diagram:

post-8432-0-84312900-1452203909_thumb.jpg

post-8432-0-74999700-1452207067_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tribby2001
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

very nice!! tell me what all you did.as far as modifying the enclosure. i have been busy with my car lately..have done quite a few things since we talked. thats awesome that you modified that thing!! i knew you could do it. im sure you did but lightly and i mean lightly place fiberfill in you enclosure.it will act as if the enclosure is a bit larger than it is which you want. i want to hear about the mounting depth and if all my measurements i gave you helped and if they were accurate..what is the model number of the sub?

very nice!! tell me what all you did.as far as modifying the enclosure... thats awesome that you modified that thing!!

Thanks! The only thing I did to the sub box was to enlarge the subwoofer hole diameter. I was going to use an electric scroll saw but its trigger malfunctioned. It's very old lol. So instead I used a router and simply followed the trace I had marked. I think it works better than a saw - like buttuh.

I used a ½" thick custom made PVC spacer ring to mount the sub on. I did that so I would not need to butcher the sub box by the mounting tab. Instead I trimmed the spacer ring, with a file and sander, so that it fit over the top of the protrusion of the tab. I didn't want to destroy the sealed integrity of the box by cutting into that tab area. (See photo in my previous post.)

im sure you did but lightly and i mean lightly place fiberfill in you enclosure.it will act as if the enclosure is a bit larger than it is which you want.

Yes, I used about 6 Oz of nylon fiberfill I had on hand from a previous speaker project.

I also sprayed the entire exterior of the sub box with 3M rubberized undercoating/soundproofing spray as well as the body of the Edge immediately behind the sub box as you can see in the photos posted earlier.

i want to hear about the mounting depth and if all my measurements i gave you helped and if they were accurate..what is the model number of the sub?

Well, I previously posted my depth measurement at 5" from the face of the sub box. However, the box is irregularly tapered in the back so it may be less depending on the sub you intend to place in there.

The sub I mounted in the box, and pictured in my previous post, is the CDT HD-1000CF http://cdtaudio.com/sep_components/subwoofers/hd1000cf.htm

Spec sheet http://cdtaudio.com/pdf/HD-1000CF.pdf

Edited by Tribby2001