2.7 ecoboost power rating ?

kws6000

Ford/Lincoln started this differentiation with the 2015 Expedition & Navigator. 365hp/420lb-ft for the Expedition & 380hp/460lb-ft for the Navigator. Though I did not expect it in the Edge Sport since it is supposed to be a SPORT model! Now we need to know what that power translate to in terms of performance & acceleration (0-60 & 1/4 mile).

Note that Lincoln advertises the 380hp/460lb-ft rating using 93 octane fuel.http://www.lincoln.com/suvs/navigator/features/Feature1/

Going through the media.ford article, there is no mention of premium fuel requirement for the 2.7 while it is clearly stated for the 2.0. So it might really be just a marketing thing & using regular vs. premium fuel. Also, the media.ford article stated 10% increase in power & 25% increase in torque compared to current 3.7. This works out to 335HP & 350 lb-ft of torque.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 3

Just a thought....if the engine difference between the Edge and mkx is just the tune....then why could you not just swap out the pcm?

Well, changing the PCM will probably be difficult as it also controls other things that might be different between vehicles (for example, the MKX has push button transmission selector).

But, if the difference is really only a tune then a simple aftermarket tuner would be able to do it, much simpler than changing the PCM.

By the way, it might not even be required, as per the Owners Manual, using Premium Fuel yields additional performance, so the difference between the MKX & Edge 2.7 might only be marketing and they actually put out the same power.

post-24673-0-33865400-1423727881_thumb.jpg

Edited by omar302
  • Like 2

350 lb-ft of torque at 2750......that beast is gonna hit like a sledgehammer. Ill be really surprised if the 0-60 numbers arent in the mid 5 seconds......Im glad I got the awd.

I sure hope you're right, but this thing is pretty heavy in AWD form. Ford website says ~4060lbs, but that is estimated base. Fully loaded, I'm guessing it'll weigh in around 4400lbs, similar to the smaller 2014 sport. The F150 supposedly does 0-60 in ~ 6.5, so with the Edge being 500lbs lighter, 0-60 in about 6 seconds seems realistic...for stock.

• Like 1

Apples to apples the new f150 is still over 1000 pounds heavier than the Edge sport....so

I think we will see 0-60 times closer to 5.5 sec. The BMW x5 with 300 hp does 0-60 in 6.1 sec and it is 800 lbs heavier than the Edge.

5.5 sec if you are going downhill.....BMW underrates their power outputs, and also uses an 8 spd auto......If Ford is accurately rating the 2.7 , in the Edge , I would expect a real life 0-60 in the low 6 sec range, for the awd.

Ford seems to be hit and miss for real life ecoboost performance.....3.5 ecoboost performs well, 2.0 ecoboost is a dog , and doesnt perform as well as the power ratings suggest.

5.5 sec if you are going downhill.....BMW underrates their power outputs, and also uses an 8 spd auto......If Ford is accurately rating the 2.7 , in the Edge , I would expect a real life 0-60 in the low 6 sec range, for the awd.

Ford seems to be hit and miss for real life ecoboost performance.....3.5 ecoboost performs well, 2.0 ecoboost is a dog , and doesnt perform as well as the power ratings suggest.

The 2.7 ecoboost is already a proven performer......in regards to the mkx and edge....it only makes sense that the difference is in the tuning.

The 2.7 ecoboost is already a proven performer......in regards to the mkx and edge....it only makes sense that the difference is in the tuning.

Either that or just a paper difference due to different fuel octane/ and or rpm's used in obtaining the Ford and Lincoln ratings...

I think by "paper difference" KWS meant that all you have to do is put premium fuel instead of standard in the Edge to reach the stated numbers for the MKX.

The Ford Edge horsepower and torque numbers are with 93 octane fuel, so running premium fuel in it will not help it reach the MKX numbers. If the MKX weights the same as the Edge, it will be quicker and faster than the Edge.

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/edge/specifications/engine/

• Like 1

The Ford Edge horsepower and torque numbers are with 93 octane fuel, so running premium fuel in it will not help it reach the MKX numbers. If the MKX weights the same as the Edge, it will be quicker and faster than the Edge.

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/edge/specifications/engine/

The page linked has wrong info as you can see the power rating for the 3.5L is the same as that for the 2.7L.

The F-150 2.7L with higher output is listed with "regular fuel recommended": http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/engine/

The specifications sheet for the Edge in Media.Ford also states 87 octane as the recommended fuel for the 2.7L. https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/asset.download.document.pdf.html/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2015_Specs/2015_Edge_Specs.pdf

Finally, the article were they announced the power output of the 2.7L for the Edge Sport did not mention Premium fuel requirement for the 2.7L while it did so when they mentioned the mentioned the power ratings of 2.0L. Note that the same article is a corrected version as when it was first released the stated that horsepower increased by 10% compared to the previuos Sport (3.7L) while it is now revised to state "delivers a small increase in horsepower over the previous".

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/02/06/performance-and-power--2015-ford-edge-sport-certified-as-highest.html

• Like 1

Noted, and if that is correct, then the MKX will produce more power and torque on 87 octane than the Edge, but we will have to see what the official numbers are for the MKX. Lincoln was very clear on the horsepower and torque they want for the MKX as they mentioned it a lot during the debut. I'm leaning toward the MKX as it offers more options/features. If the horsepower and torque is one of them, then it checks another box for me over the Edge that I was not expecting.

http://www.lincoln.com/2016-mkx/#performance

Edited by blitz118

Noted, and if that is correct, then the MKX will produce more power and torque on 87 octane than the Edge, but we will have to see what the official numbers are for the MKX. Lincoln was very clear on the horsepower and torque they want for the MKX as they mentioned it a lot during the debut. I'm leaning toward the MKX as it offers more options/features. If the horsepower and torque is one of them, then it checks another box for me over the Edge that I was not expecting.

http://www.lincoln.com/2016-mkx/#performance

I agree as well. The MKX has a few more options that I'd prefer that aren't available on the Edge. I have no idea what recommended octane will be but I'm guessing the MKX has a few more lbs of boost to get that extra power. It's probably going to be heavier than the Ege since they're concentrating on quieting the cabin (more sound deadening). The only downside? The MKX will be quite a bit more $ than the Edge. Based on the price of the MKC, the MKX will easily eclipse $50k when optioned out.