Edge AWD MPG. Way lower than I expected

TC_

I picked up a CPO 2014 Edge SEL AWD last week. ODO had 3700 miles. I've only driven about 400 miles. But I'm stunned that I'm only averaging 15mpg in mixed driving. I did about 180 miles of highway driving today and averaged just under 20mpg highway.

Now I realize my sample isn't small, it's tiny. I'd like to see what I'm averaging after 3,000 miles. I also realize the 18/25/21 are EPA estimates and driving conditions vary. But my combined avg is off by almost 30%. My highway average is almost 25% off.

In the 2 weeks prior to the Edge I was renting a 2015 Dodge Ram Big Horn with a 5.7L Hemi V8. I drove a little over 1000 miles in 2 weeks and averaged around 16.5mpg combined.

Is the 3.5L in the Edge that much of a gas guzzler? Also, what does your miles to empty indicator read after you've filled up? Mine says about 260 miles. I thought that was odd too.

Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I knew when I bought my AWD I was going to take a hit but I was hoping the EPA rating would be a bit conservative. It seems its pretty accurate. and you can't be a lead foot. I drove over 400 miles on a road trip and averaged 21 MPG. I had to consciously stay around 72 MPH this also involve some mountain driving.. I have a company car so I cant give a accurate city highway avg.at the moment.

Edited by pjazzz

How many miles did the Dodge truck have on it? Do you know when your Edge was "born"? How much idle/warmup time (a real mpg killer)? Remote start? Best to idle no more than 30 seconds before driving vehicle.

Go here to info for your Edge, click on VEHICLE tab and enter the VIN, then SEARCH:

http://www.etis.ford.com/

You should have a 19.2 gallon tank in the AWD. Even with 15mpg, you should have a M2E reading of approx 288, which is a couple of gallons off from the 260 you saw in the display. M2E is calculated based on latest mpg. I normally avg 22+ mpg on the highway (meaning a lot of time "cruising"), and 16-17 mpg city. These are wintertime numbers, after the 10% (or more) hit from winter fuel.

It does take a while for the Edge to breakin. Have you had the oil changed yet? If not, that's the first thing I'd do, with Motorcraft 5W20 and Motorcraft FL500S filter. Even if getting this done at the dealership, make sure that's what they put it. No telling what is in the engine right now or what the dealer puts into the vehicle.

Next, I would try changing gas stations. Believe it or not, some vehicles are more sensitive to gas quality than others. Fill up at a high-volume station to make sure the fuel is not contaminated. Depending on how long the Edge has been sitting on the lot, you may want to run a bottle of Techron through the gas tank starting at the next fillup. Gas that just sits in the tank without a stabilizer is no good for the fuel system, and can gum up the lines/injectors.

Tire pressure/wheel alignment should be checked. Colder weather can drop tire pressure significantly.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=73

I'll begin from the oldest comment.

I didn't check my tire pressure but I'd assume it's good since it's a CPO, I had it a few days and didn't hit any curbs or potholes. It doesn't hurt to double check so I'll do that.

Speed: Before the Edge I normally cruised at 80mph but in the Edge I'm around 72. I'm not taking it easy on it. My foot is comfortable at that speed with my seat and steering wheel position. The Edge is my company car too. But I'm in sales so it's not loaded with heavy work gear.

The Dodge had 50 miles on it and I returned it with just over 1100 miles. After 2 weeks with it I miss that V8 rumble.

I've used remote start but I don't let it run forever. In fact I reset the run time from 15min to 5min.

You're right, it should have a 19.2 gallon tank. When I filled up yesterday my MTE read 32miles but it took about 15.5 gallons to fill up and give me the 260 mile range reading. We can't pump our own gas here in NJ. Maybe the attendant cut me short..

The story behind this vehicle is that it was purchased in Feb 2014 by an elderly man for his wife. Scratches is the fake aluminum trim next to the passenger seat suggest a woman was probably throwing her purse in the seat next to her when driving. They brought the vehicle in for an oil change after 6 months with 2000 miles on it. The carfax reported the oil change from a service center near their home. A few weeks ago the husband passed away. The wife decided to return the Edge and keep his vehicle because it had sentimental value. I picked it up Friday with 3700 miles on it. My guess is this vehicle never saw a highway.

I plan to add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and fill up with a tank of super just to help flush anything that may have developed in the fuel system.

Check the oil to make sure it wasn't overfilled and go ahead and check the tire pressure.

Use the computer display to check your mileage on the highway at 55-60 mph. You only need to drive it for a few minutes on a semi level stretch to get a good idea of what it is capable of doing on the highway.

Could be a constricted fuel return/evap line causing the gas pump to click off early. Could be a a bad fuel level sensor/electrical connection also. Known problems with past MY Edge.

Sounds like it was driven very little, so the FI cleaner should be a good idea. Don't use anything but BG or Techron, as they are proven to work. Also, it sounds due/overdue for an oil change, shouldn't go more than 6 months at most in between.

Could be a constricted fuel return/evap line causing the gas pump to click off early. Could be a a bad fuel level sensor/electrical connection also. Known problems with past MY Edge.

Sounds like it was driven very little, so the FI cleaner should be a good idea. Don't use anything but BG or Techron, as they are proven to work. Also, it sounds due/overdue for an oil change, shouldn't go more than 6 months at most in between.

My 2013 Edge has ALWAYS shut off the automatic fuel pump 3 gallons short of a full tank! I have to put in the final 3 gallons very slowly, and even then the pump will click off several times.

I check the dash display to see how much fuel I have used and have a very good idea of how much fuel to put in. Of course, if your tank is several gallons low to begin with, than the fuel used display will show how much you used, but not how much to completely fill the tank.

Have you ever reset the MPG display back to 0 since you purchased the vehicle. If not, then you are using the MPG that the previous owner's averaged. Reset all the displays at every fill up, to give a true indication of what that tank of fuel returned in MPG's.

I reset Trip A MPG every fill up, but let Trip B accumulate until I reset it at the next oil change. This gives me a true indication of what I am averaging every fill up, and also what I averaged over the past 5000 miles.

Edited by ls973800
  • Like 1

I reset the MPG when I drove it off the lot. I averaged 15MPG. Yesterday I knew I was going to drive a good 150 highway miles to I reset the MPG to see what I'd average of that stretch of highway driving. Over that 180 mile stretch I averaged 20MPG.

I like your idea with the trip meters. I'm going to do the same.

I've owned my 2012 AWD limited with 20's for exactly 12 days. I do a 124 mile highway trip twice a week. The route is relatively hilly for Michigan, and I'm a little OCD about fuel mileage. I've done this trip 6 times so far, and here are my results via the trip computer.

70mph (Michigan speed limit):

24mpg

74mph

21mpg

79mph (What I usually do)

18mpg!

Hauling an open snowmobile trailer with two snowmobiles:

At 70mph I managed just 14mpg.

Typically, I will compute my mileage with the fill-up and a calculator, but because of time constraints I haven't been able to fill up immediately after getting off the highway, and I end up running all over town which would skew the highway results.

Just a little disappointed, but the 1999 Explorer was doing 17mpg at 70, and 9mpg with the trailer!

Mike

I've owned my 2012 AWD limited with 20's for exactly 12 days. I do a 124 mile highway trip twice a week. The route is relatively hilly for Michigan, and I'm a little OCD about fuel mileage. I've done this trip 6 times so far, and here are my results via the trip computer.

70mph (Michigan speed limit):

24mpg

74mph

21mpg

79mph (What I usually do)

18mpg!

Hauling an open snowmobile trailer with two snowmobiles:

At 70mph I managed just 14mpg.

Typically, I will compute my mileage with the fill-up and a calculator, but because of time constraints I haven't been able to fill up immediately after getting off the highway, and I end up running all over town which would skew the highway results.

Just a little disappointed, but the 1999 Explorer was doing 17mpg at 70, and 9mpg with the trailer!

Mike

Wow Mike. Those numbers are amazing. A 9MPH difference equates to a loss of 6MPG. And I'm glad you brought up the 20's because that's what I have. I've read that an Edge equipped with 20's have a different gear ratio. That would also have a role. I doubt the window sticker's EPA Estimates would factor that. It's probably based on the standard, not optional configuration.

That's what happens when you drive a brick (aerodynamically speaking). At a certain point the power required to combat drag starts to go up exponentially.

There's no bigger "brick" than that Ram 1500 I was renting. But on the highway the Ram was cruising at 80 without breaking a sweat. That Hemi V8 and 8 speed auto was turning out about 1800 RPM at 80MPH. The engine was barely running.

If the Edge has an adaptive transmission it could take some time to adjust itself.

Like I said earlier, it is my company car so I can't complain. I guess it'll just cost them a little more in fuel. They almost got me an Escape. Better to drive a fuel sucking Edge than a fuel friendly Escape.

Edited by TC_

My 07 sel fwd was getting about 18 in average hilly back road Connecticut driving, down from 19.5 summer driving. Check your tire pressure. mine calls for 34 psi and it was down to 29/30 after it got cold. It's back to 19.5/20 after bringing the pressure up. I expect it to get a little better after the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone has great points. In my 2011 AWD Ford Edge Sport 3.7L I avg. 17MPG with around 21MPG Hwy when cruizing around 72 MPH.

You are going to sacrifice about 2 MPG from the FWD models out there. But I will take the AWD anyday because it's just a difference of a few dollars here and there. Enjoy your new ride my friend!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered my 14 Limited AWD in March of Last year and got it in August. I have not reset the main fuel average, just the trip counters and with 17,000 miles on it, and driving 68 mph, I am showing average of 21.2 and between fill-ups, my average is 21.5 to 22.6.

I noticed a big improvement at about 9K and then again at 12K.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I've had a 2017 Edge Titanium 2.0L Ecoboost AWD for almost a month now. I bought it used with ~30k miles on it and I've put around 2000 miles on it so far. I do mostly city driving with some highway here and there so my average MPG has not been great...roughly 20 MPG average for the first few weeks I had the car. Granted, I don't always watch my foot, and I did have fun with sport mode a few times.

Last weekend we took a trip to the beach so I decided to keep a close eye on the highway MPG to see how that went and I was thoroughly impressed! The total trip was 740 miles round-trip (~90% highway) and my average fuel economy came out to 30.9 MPG. I kept cruise control around 67-73 mph while on the highway, except for a couple of cities we went through that had a good bit of traffic and cruise control wasn't worth it.

Overall, I really like this car, although I wish the AWD model had the auto engine stop, to help with fuel economy in my day-to-day city driving.

post-50356-0-72223800-1525106917_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Be glad you do not have the auto stop start. While it may be better on fuel economy, it is quite hard on the engine.

All components have been upgraded to account for the extra stress.

Keep in mind hybrids have been doing this for almost 2 decades with no problems.

• Like 1