Ford Edge + Nor'easter = ???

TC_

I picked up a CPO 2014 Edge AWD last week.

We've got a snowy, wintry mix here in NJ. I wanted the AWD version for this specific reason. Now I'll get to see what this AWD system can do. I'm also curious to see how the 20" Pirelli Scorpions perform.

I'm not going to get out there and drive recklessly but I will treat it like an AWD should be treated in foul weather. I've never been a fan of traction control systems because it impairs the feedback I feel from the road and I hate it when it wants to bog down because of some wheel spin. My old Escape's traction control was especially frustrating. The Intelligent AWD display screen could be interesting to see.

The last topic I posted was about average MPG. Today I'll be throwing MPG out the window.

• Like 1

Years ago I owned a Mazda Miata and every winter I swapped summer tires for Blizzak snow tires. I kid you not the only thing that stopped it was if the snow was too high to ride over. I would even say a FWD Edge fitted with snow tires would equal an Edge AWD on snow and outperform the AWD on ice. From my experience no all season tire can come close to a snow tire on ice.

• Like 1

Joe, I got the Edge at George Wall Ford in Shrewsbury. I like Tom's Ford and will likely get my service done there. The deal I got at George Wall was too good to pass up. 2 days after I put a deposit down on it the General Sales Manager tried rescinding my deal, saying he made a mistake and was losing money on the deal. I signed the deal at the same time they posted the Edge on their website. They left it up there for 2 more days before taking it down. My guess is they got a better offer than mine.

With a few inches down this morning I was out and running about. It handles extremely well and predictable. Turn a sharp corner under acceleration and it's easy to bring it back while still under power. My only fear are the clad wheels. I'm afraid of damaging them if I cut the side of a snow bank or hit some hard snow and ice.