2014 Edge harsh ride, stiff suspension

Nellie

I bought a new 2014 Edge Limited 2wd, V6, with 18"wheels about a year ago. It now has 17,000 miles. It's ride is very harsh and it's suspension in very stiff. It doesn't droop at all in the rear end even with a very heavy load back there. Is this harsh ride normal? Can it be fixed. Dealer says it's simply because of the short wheelbase.

I have been told that shipping blocks are no longer used in the springs while transporting modern vehicles, so that is probably not the issue. Since you have 18" wheels, that's not really a factor either. No reason why the springs/shocks would be locked in place either, except during transport.

When you test-drove it, was it stiff back then? How much of a load have you tried in the cargo area?

Didn't test drive the one we bought. Had to order it to get the spec we wanted. We didn't notice the harsh ride on the one we test drove, but then we weren't operating of a particularly rough segment of raod either. I've had maybe 300 lb in the luggage compartment, and another time maybe 200 lbs and towing a trailer with considerable tongue weight too. I will say that it rides better with a load in the back, but that's a gas mileage killer and is not the answer.

Double check to make sure there are no blocks in the springs. Doubtful but easy to check.

Then check the air pressure in the tires.

Also - what was your previous vehicle? If you were driving something like a Buick then the Edge will probably feel a lot stiffer.

Edited by akirby

I keep tires at manufacturer's recommended pressure. It rode rough from the time it was new so I don't think it is alignment. As I mentioned, it now has 17,000 miles and I see no unusual tire wear. Previous vehicle was a 2002 Toyots Sienna with 265,000 miles. it's wheelbase is only 3" longer than that of the Edge. Wife has it on the road now, so can't double check right now for spring blocks but sure I or dealer would have seen them.

Nature of the beast with 2011+ Edges. My 2010 Edge and 13 Lincoln MKX have way softer suspensions then my 2011 SEL. I'm definitely gonna try softer shocks in the back this summer. Back years ago I replaced the shocks on a brand new 2003 F150 FX4 with Sensatracs and it made a huge difference. It's really easy to tell how a vehicle rides when you live in Michigan!!!!!

• Like 3

You can get 2 Monroe Sensatracs for the rear for around $60.00 at Advance Auto. These are just shocks not struts so I'm guessing it's a pretty easy job to replace them. Hardest part would be getting to the top mounts which are probably behind the rear interior panels. I'm approaching 50,000 on my 11 so I'm probably gonna switch mine out in the spring and see how she rides.

• 2 weeks later...

Did your Edge come with a trailer Hitch? If so, maybe the towing package has stiffer rear springs? Just something to think about. We had a 2013 Edge Limited and traded it in for a 2014 Edge Limited, both had the 20 inch wheels. Our 2014 Edge Limited rides so much smoother than the 2013 did, according to Ford they were no changes between the 2013 and the 2014 model years, but i say they were :)

Keep in mind tire and rim size also make a difference. Unsprung weight increase from the very large rims then add low profile tires that can not absorb the bumps like the small rim with larger tire set up. You give up ride quality for the look not to mention tire life/mileage and even gas mileage.

I did some checking on the on-line Ford parts bookk. So long as it's a '14 or '15 Edge, FWD, 3.5l, V-6, the rear springs and shocks are the same. Lincoln MKX is the same too. Now, this is replacement service parts information. I suppose what's used on the assembly line might be different, but kind of doubt it.

Oh yes, almost forgot, the main reason for posting this is to point out that there's no mention of rear springs or shocks being different depending on the presence of a factory installed ttailer hitch.

Edited by Nellie

• 4 years later...

OK, now a follow up by originator of thread. MY '14 edge is now 5 years old and a bit over 100.000 miles. At about 95,000 the OEM Michlin tires needed replaced as winter was coming. I went shopping for something to take out the harsh ride and road noise. I ended up with Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread tires. I simply couldn't believe the change in the vehicle! Much less road noise. Much better ride. I finally like the vehicle. Oh, in 100,000 miles it has been absolutely trouble free. Yes, I had to do regular maintenance items, including a new bttery, resetting the HVAC computer so the driver got heat, and do the capless fuel filler/check engine light procedure. With google and the internet I soon figured how to do both myself at zero expense. Each took a couple minutes!

• Like 1