2010 Edge Limited Review

dbomb343

I purchased my 2010 Edge Limited AWD in cinnamon metallic as a certified pre-owned vehicle two years ago with 40k miles. Purchased this before moving to a part of western Pennsylvania with lots of lake effect snow. Specifically got an older edge to avoid MyFordTouch and save money, and the CPO powertrain warranty is pretty long. Wanted something good in snow, reliable, and with room for road trips. Every time I think I bought too big a car (2 passengers + driver and 2 small dogs at most, usually just me though) my wife manages to find more luggage or presents to bring and we appreciate the space.

It's now at 63,000 miles, mostly highway commuting and occasional 7-10 hour trips from PA to New England. Haven't had any reliability issues to use the CPO warranty so far, just maintenance. Routine oil changes, front brake pads replaced at 47k, transmission fluid change and new tires at 60k. Plus extra carwashes in the winter to remove road salt here.

Pros:

Cargo space- tons with seats folded down, love the easy-fold buttons. great center console

Comfort- comfortable seats even on long road trips, and that was before I knew it had a lumbar support lever! Ample passenger space.

Ride- built for cruising. Very smooth ride, dampens potholes well, quiet when not mid-acceleration.

Power- plenty of power for passing and going up hills, not a sports car but more than adequate.

Exterior- love the big grill and chrome rims contrasting with the cinnamon metallic paint after it's washed. Some days I get bored of the big round nose but overall like the unique style.

Blind-spot Mirrors and backup sensor - simple and effective

Snow capability- AWD with the original Michelin and new Continental Crosscontact LX2 all season tires is great with appropriate driving. Only saw traction control light come twice a winter with black ice at stop signs, and it snows a lot here. Would consider snow tires if I had to worry about more hills or fewer plows.

Cons:

MPG- average is right around 19 mostly highway. More like 14 around town, 23-24 on road trips. Biggest objective downside.

Off-road capability- Not a true rugged SUV in this regard, but this is more something I daydream about than actually need. Does great with all the potholes and dirt and gravel roads I actually get to.

Cheap plastics- dashboard plastics are very bland and hard, wish window sill had soft arm rest

Brakes- noisy even with new pads, no problems stopping but might disappoint aggressive drivers

Towing- low towing capacity. Installed aftermarket hitch so only 2000lb, which is fine for the occasional uhaul or utility trailer but could be limiting in the future.

Minor tech complaints- Sync calling wrong person, remote start only does last setting and doesn't start heated seats. Wish I could see the AWD torque distribution like the new Escape dashboards.

Overall very happy with this car. Every time I drive a rental car I come back to my Edge and feel like I'm driving a composed, unstoppable tank. Will keep until 100k miles at least, maybe 200k. I expect it will be pretty reliable with routine maintenance and maybe a PTU fix. It's such a well-rounded vehicle that it's hard to find a new SUV that beats it in more than JUST 1-2 aspects.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...