Need advice on this possible purchase...

mills2626

Looking at buying a used 2013 Edge Sport FWD. Car is fully loaded with 34k miles. Took it to an independent mechanic and the only thing the found wrong was it needs 3 new tires and an alignment ( 1 tire looks to have been replaced recently) Asking price is $27500. Which according to Edmunds TMV it's about $500 below price. They are willing to get me 3 brand new Pirelli Scorpions Zeros and do an alignment or get 4 brand new Hankook Ventus RH06ST w/alignment. They won't budge on their asking price. Offered $26500 and $27000 with tires ect but no deal. Is what they are offering a good deal in your guys opinion? Any insight would be appreciated.

If it needs an alignment and one tire is missing bet is it hit something really hard. Check the car fax and if it was a one owner how did they get it. Damage, replaced tire of wrong type, alignment, = auctioned vehicle or rental maybe even a repossed vehicle. From what I researched quickly the price does not seem out of line. Now it comes to your negotiation tactics. Remember it is a car and ford makes a lot of them. Not the only fish as they say.

Ā 

Personnally speaking: shop around for others. Take the salesman or woman right up to point of signing anything. Talk and delay then say your deal does not work for me and then walk out, if they call back then good if not you are already looking at other vehicles.

Edited by macbwt

Maybe not a big deal but worn out tires at 34K throws up a little red flag in my mind. I always get 50+ out of a set of tires. Maybe someone drove it like they stole it or something is just off causing the tires to wear prematurely. Needing an alignment at that mileage is also a little odd. I've always driven vehicles way past 100K without ever needing an alignment.

Edited by fishx65

01/29/2014 30,272 Atterson Tire Tire condition and pressure checked / Tire repaired
Terre Haute, IN
812-238-2596
08/06/2014 33,113 Nick Mayer Lincoln Inc One tire mounted and balanced
Westlake, OH
440-835-3700
nickmayer.com

Ā 

Same tire or not? IDK. Also, could there be a cracked wheel from the tire repair? IDK. 22" wheels? Make sure they will cover any leaking issues (there's a TSB out on this, but may not completely fix).

Ā 

Ventus option is summer only. Top-rated on Tire Rack though. Scorpion is all-season. Better off with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I never get more than 25K out of car tires and 35K out of the larger utility tires. Temperature and local road conditions make a big difference.

This amazes me Ak. I really have never gotten less then 50,000 out of a set of new tires. Well, maybe one exception was my new 88 Mustang GT back in my young punk days! I currently have 48,000 on my 2011 Edge's Michelins and can easily go another 10,000. I once got 70,000 out of a set of Bridgestone Revos on a 2003 F150 FX4!!! I'm about 50/50 city/highway in Michigan. Are you still doing those wicked 360s in parking lots these days? :)

Mills-

Ā 

Not to get into your business but why the Sport? Don't get me wrong, I love HP. But I don't see the value of paying a few extra grand for just 20 more horses. 40-50 more HP is a different story. I bet you can find a loaded Limited or SEL for a lot less.

Ā 

3 weeks ago I picked up a Certified Pre Owned 2014 loaded SEL AWD with 3,700 miles. One owner, clean carfax, vehicle was bought from the same dealer and the original owner changed the oil after 6 months and 2,000 miles. 20" wheels (chrome clad though), leather, Nav, BLIS, vista roof, remote cargo door, remote start, etc... I even got 4 keys and Weathertech Smoke window guards. 2014 Window Sticker was $42,000 plus a few more for dealer add-ons. Dealer was asking $33,000 but while I was sitting there they listed it on their website as an internet blowout price of $29,000. I don't jerk around with salesmen so I demanded the GM to be next to me to negotiate. After a considerable amount of time, I'm not going to pretend it was easy, I got them down to my price of $25,000. The next day the GM called me to cancel our deal and return my deposit because he said he was losing money. Probably because they didn't take down the web price and got a better offer.

Ā 

So I basically got a 10 month old 3,700 mile $44,000 car for $25,000. My point is this: 1) I'm one hell of a negotiator!!! and 2) If you're here to ask if it's a good deal, it means you're not thrilled about it and may have buyers remorse if you get it. My advice is to keep looking until you find what you want for the price you want. There are a ton of Edge's out there. If you asked me the day before I got the Edge what I was looking to buy I probably would have told you a Dodge Journey Crossroad. Opinions and opportunities can change that fast.

• Like 1

Because there are a million SE, SEL and Limiteds on the road and very few Sports. I just like the look better of the Sport. All the other models look like old man vehicles.

Did you just call me an old man? :) I will agree with ya, the Sport is cooler looking. I actually thought my MKX was better looking then any Edge but That's because I'm 49!!!!!

This amazes me Ak. I really have never gotten less then 50,000 out of a set of new tires. Well, maybe one exception was my new 88 Mustang GT back in my young punk days! I currently have 48,000 on my 2011 Edge's Michelins and can easily go another 10,000. I once got 70,000 out of a set of Bridgestone Revos on a 2003 F150 FX4!!! I'm about 50/50 city/highway in Michigan. Are you still doing those wicked 360s in parking lots these days? :)

I think the southern heat and local roads have the most to do with it. My wife drives like a little old lady so it's not driving style.