2014 ptu oil leaks fixed yet

bubbadewsky

I just bought a new 2014 Edge and after reading this forum I am starting to think this may have been a mistake. Have they come up with a factory fix for all the PTU woes I have read about on here. Anybody have PTU problems with a 2014? Not to mention thinking I got screwed on the 20 in chrome hubcaps for an additional $1300. Should I get the extended warranty? I have 2000 F-150 with 220,000 mi. and I doubt this new car will see that many with all the problems read about here

Most likely, any problems with the PTU will show up within the powertrain warranty period. Having an extended warranty is just like insurance, you have to decide if it is right for you. The PremiumCare level of Ford ESP comes close to the B2B warranty you have now with the new Edge. How long you tend to keep vehicles and how much mileage you put on them plays into it too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Most likely, any problems with the PTU will show up within the powertrain warranty period. Having an extended warranty is just like insurance, you have to decide if it is right for you. The PremiumCare level of Ford ESP comes close to the B2B warranty you have now with the new Edge. How long you tend to keep vehicles and how much mileage you put on them plays into it too.

I wouldn't bet on seeing it under warranty! I just got nailed outside of the warranty for guess what...the PTU on a 2013, so plan on extending the warranty. From this forum, the PTU seems to be one of the recurring issues with the model. Is Ford going to make good on it? Seems like the newer ones still have the same issue. If you are planning on keeping it past 36K, make sure the PTU/PTO is covered under a plan, because it WILL go out!

We take very good care of our vehicles, This one's been serviced by Ford on schedule since purchase, and this happens with no warning. No towing, and mostly highway miles, little things are starting to pop up too like door sensor failures, and window regulators all just outside the warranty period. Someone did a very good job on their MTBF calulations, LOL. For the first year, we absolutely loved this car, but I'm wishing I would have found this forum earlier, I would have made a more informed decision.

Stephen,

MT

Yes, more than 50k. one' more tidbit of information here, it seems Ford has upped the warranty on the replacement part itself to 2 years, unlimited miles. That supposedly covers parts and labor, but it's still a $1600 to $2000 out of pocket repair at the local Ford dealer for this first one. It would be preferable to have a way to replenish the fluid before damage occurs or at least monitor it. What I'm being told is that it is normally a particular bearing that is going out. One would think that failure mode would be fairly straight forward to minimize, but I'm an electrical guy, not mechanical, so probably more to consider than I know. I do know that as many years as this has been an issue on these Edges, they're probably diminishing the return on repeat buyers which is unfortunate because they are a very capable vehicle otherwise.

My 2013 just hit 42k miles and I dropped it off at the dealer this morning for a PTU leaking oil. It marks its spot everytime we park somewhere now. I had a drivers side seal replaced at about 34k miles, this time it's leaking on the passenger side, and it's very dark, thick looking oil.

Edited by Shadrack

I purchased a 2009 Lincoln MKX from a Lincoln dealer in Oct 2014, beautiful vehicle, extremely low miles (13,700) and garaged kept. It was a trade in on a 2015 MKC from an elderly retired couple that purchased the MKX from same dealer. The dealer was very open on history of vehicle car fax, service records etc. Very happy up to this point. I took car in for an oil change. Service tech says PTU is showing signs of leakage (trans fluid), but only slightly (wheeping seepage), and says keep an eye on it, and he says it does not warrant fixing at this time..I say fix it because it is still under 6 month warranty. Dealer says no, but it's noted that leakage occurred under warranty and they will work with me if unit fails. I say BS, it's just a matter of time...So, now I sit and wait and wonder when my unit will fail and this just pisses me off. I have now lost faith in dealership and vehicle...and also I'm reading of the expense of fixing this unit. QUOTE:MontanaEE "$1600 to $2000 out of pocket repair at the local Ford dealer for this first one."...I don't get it, I can get a brand new updated unit shipped to my house from a Ford dealer for a total of $649.21 with the 2yr warranty in place.

It should not cost over a thousand dollars in labor to fix this unit...What gives? I was thinking about biting the bullet, purchasing new updated PTU and having it installed for peace of mind, and having unit serviced every year as recomended on this site(Amsoil-gear oil).

(PS Lincoln dealer service writer said they charge $500.00 to pull and repair old unit and put in new seal or seals. Why such a big difference in price from the Quote of MontanaEE? Am I missing something?)

Edited by dshamer

Oh, OK...gotcha. Thanks. Is the trans seal leak a slow progresive type problem, or do they fail all at once with sudden loss of fluid? At this time, I see no evidence of any leaks under the vehicle...and, Yeah, I absolutely agree, a leak is a leak PERIOD! I contacted owner of the dealership, he won't budge. He says he spoke with tech and tech says it's not necessary right now...I'm still calling BS. I don't want to burn my bridges just yet (they self insure with warranty)...and, in reality if they did not tell me there was some type of leakage, I would not have known it. They could have said nothing...as I stated, no evidence of leakage at all. I park in a clean garage...nothing on floor.

WWWPerfA_ZN0W, I also live in Md. I'm in Carroll County Md on the Pa line. I bought MKX in Pa.

It is a progressive leak, ultimately you will likely see remnants on the floor. But the fact that the leakage has been noted means it should be fixed. A leaky seal means contaminated fluid, which is obviously a no-no. I don't know what the motivation is behind their refusal to act, but I'd definitely press for it a) before the warranty period is up, b] if the fluid does drip onto the floor, or c) if you start smelling it. There is no question of them "working with you". Check your warranty coverage carefully. Is it a Ford ESP or a dealer warranty?

I am in the Silver Spring area, right on the PG/Montgomery County line :)

Unfortunately, it's a dealer warranty with a $100.00 deductable They would have to eat the rest. Yeah, I did press, insisted and actually talked to the owner of the dealership. Again, tech and owner both say it does not require repair at this time. Owner insists that they won't leave me hanging if there a problem...My gut instinct tells me I'm being screwed. Reality tells me I don't have much choice since dealer is self insured...other than pushing legal action, I don't have many options, I could file for small claims court in Pa...as I stated, burning bridges at that point. If they screw me, they lose a customer for life. I told owner same, and he says he is aware of that being a possibility, and that was why he documented issue...It's just seems rediculous to me, just fix the damn thing and problem is solved all the way around.

(Silver Spring? Yep, been down that way a time or two. Work in Baltimore (FireFighter) and commute back and forth to Carroll. Long drive, but worth the effort.)

You'd think, right? The dealership is playing the odds that you'll never file (time/money involved). As a Lincoln dealer, they should have been able to do the repair pretty easily & quickly. For now, I guess you have to wait, but not worry really until you have visual or olfactory confirmation. Document everything in case it's needed later.

It's just seems rediculous to me, just fix the damn thing and problem is solved all the way around.

That IS a heck of a commute! And I am sure the days are not easy. Thank you for your service :hat_tip:

WWWPerfA_ZN0W, thanks, much appreciated...and has anyone figured out what the correct amount of fluid (gear oil) amount in the PTU is? My owners manual says it is 12 ounces...I understand that if it is over filled it will cause problems (bottom of fill hole) and under filled is not good either...so, if I change it, how much goes back in? 12 ounces? 14 ounces? 16 ounces? What's too little? What's too much?

You MUST have the vehicle level before you attempt to empty or fill the PTU (i.e., jackstands or lift). Since the amount you take out may not be correct for the fill (original level too low or you didn't take it all out, etc), fill the PTU till the fluid comes out the fill hole. You can make a tool that gives you an approximate idea of correct level like this (from the FSM):

1. Using a tie strap, measure 44.5 mm (1.75 in) from the end and bend it at a 90-degree angle, measure from the end up to 38.1 mm (1.5 in) and place an index mark. Place it in the filler opening and check the fluid. The correct fluid level will be between the bottom of the dipstick and the 38.1 mm (1.5 in) maximum fill mark.
    • Adjust the fluid level as necessary. Slowly add fluid in to the correct fill specification.
    • Do not overfill the PTU. This will cause the fluid to be forced out of the unit.

Dealer called. They ordered a new PTU for it.

Glad to read your dealer's taking great care of you, Shadrack. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need me.

I purchased a 2009 Lincoln MKX from a Lincoln dealer in Oct 2014, beautiful vehicle, extremely low miles (13,700) and garaged kept. It was a trade in on a 2015 MKC from an elderly retired couple that purchased the MKX from same dealer. The dealer was very open on history of vehicle car fax, service records etc. Very happy up to this point. I took car in for an oil change. Service tech says PTU is showing signs of leakage (trans fluid), but only slightly (wheeping seepage), and says keep an eye on it, and he says it does not warrant fixing at this time..I say fix it because it is still under 6 month warranty. Dealer says no, but it's noted that leakage occurred under warranty and they will work with me if unit fails. I say BS, it's just a matter of time...So, now I sit and wait and wonder when my unit will fail and this just pisses me off. I have now lost faith in dealership and vehicle...and also I'm reading of the expense of fixing this unit. QUOTE:MontanaEE "$1600 to $2000 out of pocket repair at the local Ford dealer for this first one."...I don't get it, I can get a brand new updated unit shipped to my house from a Ford dealer for a total of $649.21 with the 2yr warranty in place.

It should not cost over a thousand dollars in labor to fix this unit...What gives? I was thinking about biting the bullet, purchasing new updated PTU and having it installed for peace of mind, and having unit serviced every year as recomended on this site(Amsoil-gear oil).

(PS Lincoln dealer service writer said they charge $500.00 to pull and repair old unit and put in new seal or seals. Why such a big difference in price from the Quote of MontanaEE? Am I missing something?)

Hey dshamer,

Have you tried contacting our Lincoln Customer Relationship Center about this? Their number is 1-800-521-4140.

Nick

You MUST have the vehicle level before you attempt to empty or fill the PTU (i.e., jackstands or lift). Since the amount you take out may not be correct for the fill (original level too low or you didn't take it all out, etc), fill the PTU till the fluid comes out the fill hole. You can make a tool that gives you an approximate idea of correct level like this (from the FSM):

1. Using a tie strap, measure 44.5 mm (1.75 in) from the end and bend it at a 90-degree angle, measure from the end up to 38.1 mm (1.5 in) and place an index mark. Place it in the filler opening and check the fluid. The correct fluid level will be between the bottom of the dipstick and the 38.1 mm (1.5 in) maximum fill mark.
    • Adjust the fluid level as necessary. Slowly add fluid in to the correct fill specification.
    • Do not overfill the PTU. This will cause the fluid to be forced out of the unit.

Hmm, I'd feel better doing this on a lift which I don't have access to. I suppose I'll call around and find a shop that can do the change correctly since dealers don't consider this a part that requires maintenance. I'd feel better if it was Ford or Lincoln dealer technician. It's a shame that we (Edge/MKX owners )can't t get this part regularly serviced by a dealer along with an oil change. I'd have no problem paying the money for the service...and, thanks again.

Glad to read your dealer's taking great care of you, Shadrack. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need me.

Hey dshamer,

Have you tried contacting our Lincoln Customer Relationship Center about this? Their number is 1-800-521-4140.

Nick

I just called the Lincoln Customer Relationship Center, and after conversing with a lady on the other side of the phone, I came to the conclusion that while the concept of customer relationship is nice, that they(Lincoln Customer Relationship Center) ultimately can't MAKE A DEALERSHIP HONOR THEIR (own) USED CAR WARRANTY if the dealership decides that they don't want to...so, that said, why bother.

Lincoln Customer Relationship Center said they would talk to the dealership and find me another dealership(if i wanted) to inspect the vehicle for repair, but alas, they don't have any leverage to get my vehicle fixed regardless of what the other dealership found...ok, with all due respect, why should I piss off the dealer that I purchased the MKX from and destroy any bargining relationship that I may have, if the Lincoln Customer Relationship Center has ZERO capacity to enforce the dealership to make repair?!?! Somethings just boggle the mind....

• Like 1

Lincoln Customer Relationship Center said they would talk to the dealership and find me another dealership(if i wanted) to inspect the vehicle for repair, but alas, they don't have any leverage to get my vehicle fixed regardless of what the other dealership found...

So be proactive and keep an eye on the condition of your vehicle. The moment you see any of the symptoms of a major issue in the near future, call it in.

dshamer,

I agree with WWWPerfA_ZN0W. Keep an eye on it, and don’t hesitate to take it back to the dealer if the symptoms persist. You also have the option to take your vehicle to another Ford Dealer to seek a second opinion. If you decide to go with another dealer, I recommend contacting the Lincoln Customer Relationship Center again to have them look into available options to assist.

Tricia