2014 ptu oil leaks fixed yet

bubbadewsky

guys, take a look at this, the problem is the lack of a drain plug and lack of PTU oil maintenance:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847373-Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-%28photos%29

the Mazda CX-9 guys figured out a way to fix the PTU problem,

the CX-9 uses the same exact PTU as the Ford Edge back when Ford and Mazda were partners

Edited by sensitron
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

My 2008 MKX Ford service manual says to fill the PTU to the bottom of the fill hole. That is what I have been doing as I try to dilute the crap inside with fresh oil by sucking out some old stuff and refilling. Seems to be smoother since I started doing that or maybe it's my imagination. I'm planning to drill a drain hole shortly and tap it for a plug -just building up the intestinal fortitude to drill the hole. I have the 1/4" 18 thread NPT tap and plug sitting on the table beside me.....watching me LOL.

My 2008 Ford service manual says to fill it to the bottom of the fill plug. (this is a true Ford manual - not Haynes or others). I filled mine to the fill plug about a month ago and nothing getting spit up onto the floor or around the unit. It was good to get it filled up before any damage (90K miles) and no leaks and the vehicle seems to be smoother.