Back up camera

J0J0

Unfortunately, when I purchased my 2014 Edge SE AWD, it was a "plain jane" but had the ford sync with it. I have been searching to see if I could upgrade and put in an after market camera and see if there is a video input in the stock non-myford touch head unit. I haven't been able to see if there is an auxillary video input so I decided to do a wireless system.

My first question is, "Where does the stock back up camera mount on our Ford Edges?" If I can get one that will fit in the stock location, that would be great. If not, I would have to get an aftermarket unit.

Send question is, "Has anyone modified the sunglass holder in the head liner (flip down compartment) to hold a video display like that of a small GPS or Video screen for one of these aftermarket camera systems?

I'm not keen on sticking the unit to the windshield or mounting it to the dash. I want to be able to hide it and keep it permanently mounted.

I was thinking of doing it with one of these ... post-31460-0-84999900-1424197715_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Was in showroom other day while having MKX serviced. Looked at the new Edge and backup camera was mounted just above license plate (between license lights). If you don't have navigation, doubt you could use HU to display.

Instead of a hidden display, how about changing your backup mirror to one with video.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-LCD-Screen-Car-Rear-View-Backup-Mirror-Monitor-Wireless-Reverse-Camera-Kit/151359137746?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29310%26meid%3D06adf646f7384c8c93a02f3bb8c52c28%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D171576394380&rt=nc#ht_6176wt_1128

Or would something more like this work better? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Rear-View-System-Wireless-Backup-Camera-4-3-TFT-LCD-Monitor-/141586942168?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f73d48d8&vxp=mtr#ht_7433wt_1306

• 1 month later...

enigma-2,

Have you installed a backup camera yet?? If so did you go with the rear view mirror monitor? I'm thinking real serious about going with the mirror monitor because the wires running to the auto dim feather on my stock mirror has positive and negative wires that can be used to power the monitor and the wireless receiver. Also the can be tucked in the headliner above the mirror, don't have to go through the hassle of running wires to the fuse box or 12 volt receptacle. Also the auto dim mirror positive wire powers on and off with the ignition.

I think removing the inner panels on the lift gate to run the camera wires will be more of a pain in the --- than anything else.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I purchased and installed a wireless backup camera kit from ebay. The monitor is the type that fastens to the inside rearview mirror. I powered the monitor and wireless receiver from the ignition so no power until I turn on the key. I powered the camera and wireless transmitter off the back up light wires.

Now my problem ( HELP ) When I turn the key on the monitor will have a blue color and say no signal, put the car in reverse I get a view of behind the car as supposed to. My understanding the monitor is supposed to return to a rearview mirror when not using reverse. The blue color is there while in park, neutral or any forward gear. I've racked my brain trying to figure out what is wrong.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Larry

2013 Edge SEL

Larry, does the mirror have Bluetooth? That could be the "no signal" message.

Have you left the car running with it on? I have seen one of those mirrors that has the blue box every time it is powered up, but goes away after a while, That one had a button on the front, if you pressed (or maybe held) it the blue box would go away.

It was a solid looking replacement mirror with Bluetooth, auto dim and the screen, but the blue box was oddly there by design.

Hi factor99,

I don't think it has Bluetooth???? Ended up having to run a wire from the positive wire at the backup light through the car to the monitors blue wire. It works now but has glare on the monitor, hard to see behind view. This is supposed to be a wireless system. yeah right.. My advice. Don't buy one.

The kit is called TFT LCD. No model numbers anywhere.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171722759056?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks

Larry

Well, the listing says the unit is a monitor not a mirror. Doesn't talk about contrast either, so could explain difficulty in bright situations. When it's not in use (i.e., vehicle not reversing), the rearview is not available to you. I don't know about you, but I frequently scan the rear and side view mirrors while driving to keep apprised of traffic behavior. Not having that rearview mirror functionality would be bothersome.

The monitor clamps on to the existing mirror and is a rearview mirror when not in reverse. I got it working but I'm not happy about how it says wireless but I had to run one wire from the reverse light positive wire in the tail light to the monitor . The monitor has a positive, negative and a acc wire. I connected the + and - wires to the ignition to power on and off. Ended up having to run the car length wire to connect to the acc wire. Now the monitor is a mirror until reverse. I couldn't think of any place else to connect the acc wire.

Larry

• Like 1