Locked out with car running

Erolbaskurt

My wife starts her car every morning by entering and exiting the passenger side to warm it up while she finishes getting ready for work.

Never had an issue until yesterday.

When she closed the passenger door after starting her up the doors locked and she didn't remember the code to enter for the keypad.

How could this have happened and how can she avoid it in future please? It starts with a key inserted in ignition and has no remote start.

First - make sure she remembers the code - you can set your own code to make it easier to remember. That's the biggest benefit of the keypad is to make sure you don't lock your keys in the vehicle.

The most likely explanation is she accidentally hit the lock button either on the keyfob or the door. I don't think it lets you do that with the driver's door but since she was using the passenger door that wouldn't apply.

• Like 1

Yes, imagine if you were driving around with a passenger, then dropped off that passenger. They open the passenger door (which unlocks it), but you want to sit and wait and want the door relocked so you hit the lock button. How would the car know the difference between this scenario and yours?

Thanks for the responses.

I am very surprised that the car allows this to happen given that the key is obviously in the ignition and a lot of people never use the keypad since there is a remote.

I want to make sure I got this right. Your wife locks her keys in the car and it's the car's fault?

• Like 2

I want to make sure I got this right. Your wife locks her keys in the car and it's the car's fault?

Secret to a happy marriage ;) But seriously, who knows all the intricacies of all the electronic gizmos & their individual logic in the Edge? We apply our reasoning to explain a phenomenon, sounds logical, doesn't make it right.

• 1 year later...

At times I want to leave my car running with the A/C on because of my dog. But when I get out, hit the lock button and shut the door, the door unlocks. I think I will try your wife's method so I can lock the car with the engine running. Hope it works and if so I give your wife credit for fooling the car.

At times I want to leave my car running with the A/C on because of my dog. But when I get out, hit the lock button and shut the door, the door unlocks. I think I will try your wife's method so I can lock the car with the engine running. Hope it works and if so I give your wife credit for fooling the car.

You can lock it with the keypad while it's running.