Sync 3 staring to be released now

The all new sync 3 that replacing the old outdated slow MyFord Touch is going to be in 2016 Ford Mustang and all vehicles that follow this year. They could not get it in the 2015 edge in time of launch next month but if you wait couple months for the 2016 modle year you will be very happy.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ford-sync-3-infotainment-system-walk-through-on-2016-ford-mustang-video-92601.html

Great videos cannot wait for the 2016 Edge with Sync 3 , driver package and 21' black smoked wheels.

Hopefully I can pre order soon ?

I'm hoping Sync 3 is available this year for the 2016 MY Edge. He was very careful not to say what other models besides the Mustang would be updated this year, but as long as the 2016 Edge is released in Q4 or later, I'd say there is a good possibility. That's also pretty likely because it wouldn't make much sense to release the 2016 Edge in Q2 or Q3 since the 2015 is getting released on the tail end of Q1.

Which also resulted in a VP's "retirement".

Really? Hadn't heard that but it doesn't surprise me.

The real failure is when they bet the farm on MFT being ready for the 2011 Edge and when it wasn't they didn't have a backup plan. I'm sure that's why Sync 3 is a drop-in replacement for MFT so they don't get caught between that rock and hard place again.

• 2 weeks later...

There is hope on the horizon. Ford tells me that the third generation of its dashboard tech suite, Ford Sync 3.0, is coming to the Edge for the 2016 model year, so maybe tech savvy drivers interested in the Edge should probably wait for next year's model. I asked if the 2015 model would be available for a dealer update when Sync 3.0 hits and was informed that, due to a hardware difference between the generations, that would likely not be the case.

This is the most specific quote I have seen about the 2016 Edge receiving Sync 3.0. And again it's confirmed that 2015's can't be upgraded to Sync 3.0. However, I am sure an industrious 2015 owner could just buy whatever 2016 HW is required for Sync 3.0 when one can order the parts.

This caught my eye "A car equipped with Sync 3 will be able to connect to the Internet over a Wi-Fi connection and download new features straight onto its hard drive". I hope the mention of a hard drive by the author was just a slip and he really meant anything but mechanical storage

This caught my eye "A car equipped with Sync 3 will be able to connect to the Internet over a Wi-Fi connection and download new features straight onto its hard drive". I hope the mention of a hard drive by the author was just a slip and he really meant anything but mechanical storage

yeah, that has to be a slip. Flash storage is so cheap these days.

I'm sure it's whatever was the cheapest solution with the required capacity.

LOL give Ford some credit. I'm sure durability was a major concern. magnetic drives typically die after a few years.. From a manufacturing standpoint it's probably cheaper to install solid state flash memory built into a PCB board then it is to have a separate drive with a case and moving parts. And unless they are planning on offering customers the ability to save media as part of Sync 3, they probably only need several hundred megabytes to a couple gigabytes to store the OS and applications that the user can download.

LOL give Ford some credit. I'm sure durability was a major concern. magnetic drives typically die after a few years.. From a manufacturing standpoint it's probably cheaper to install solid state flash memory built into a PCB board then it is to have a separate drive with a case and moving parts. And unless they are planning on offering customers the ability to save media as part of Sync 3, they probably only need several hundred megabytes to a couple gigabytes to store the OS and applications that the user can download.

Obviously it has to meet durability specs. I would guess they'll need a few gigabytes for software updates and other transient data. With the ability to use a flash drive and with multiple usb ports there isn't much need to be able to rip cds directly to internal storage.

Incidentally that feature was a freebie from Pioneer or Clarion on the old hard disk based nav systems when they found out they had 10 gb of unused hard disk space.

• 3 months later...

Great! I was just looking thru the Ford web site on how to download Pandora app. Found out you can't do it in the TOP of the line Ford Edge Sport with SYNC with MYFORD TOUCH! Only in the cheaper version. I also found out two other disturbing items, one is sounds like I lose the voice commands and traffic updates if I don't renew with Sirius. I knew it had a Sirius radio... but didn't realize the $700 navigation was Sirius. I can buy a stand aloe nav and it'll have traffic updates, etc for life for less money. The other BIG item was the Sync 3 just came out on the 2015 Escape and will be in the 2016 Edge. If I had know FORD was dumping their highly advertised Myford touch, I would have waited or bought something else!

I love this car but for $45,000 ... by next year, later this year all this high tech will be junk

You don't lose the voice commands. Nor do you lose the traffic for 5 years.

The only thing that you should lose after the initial trial period is the Sirius Radio itself. You can get that much cheaper than the advertised price if you check around on the web. Once you tell them to cancel, you get pushed up a level in Customer Support. You should get a super discount on Sirius if you want it.

For examples on pricing, check the Satellite Radio forum on www.satelliteguys.us

Edited by ScooterS

I also found out two other disturbing items, one is sounds like I lose the voice commands and traffic updates if I don't renew with Sirius. I knew it had a Sirius radio... but didn't realize the $700 navigation was Sirius.

Yea, you're obviously misunderstanding something, the Navigation and voice commands have nothing to do with Sirius. Only the traffic/fuel prices and stuff comes from Sirius.

Everything will always be better next year, you can always look back and say "if I'd have known, I'd have waited", but then you'd just be waiting for ever.

You don't lose the voice commands. Nor do you lose the traffic for 5 years.

The only thing that you should lose after the initial trial period is the Sirius Radio itself. You can get that much cheaper than the advertised price if you check around on the web. Once you tell them to cancel, you get pushed up a level in Customer Support. You should get a super discount on Sirius if you want it.

For examples on pricing, check the Satellite Radio forum on www.satelliteguys.us

Yup I did it for almost 10 years with XM and Sirius. When your trial expires you'll be contacted to extend your service. Tell them it is too expensive until they drop it to a deal where you are paying ~$6/mth after all taxes/fees. This may be for 6 months or possible a year. Depends on which CSR you talk to and which day. It is a gamble. A few times they told me they couldn't extend my $72/yr option so I told them to disconnect which they did. I'd call a week later saying I am still interested for my old price, and they'd sign me up again.

Just make sure you don't have auto-renew on. Tell them to take off auto-renew, or just mail you the bill.

$75/yr to them is better than $0/yr

• 1 month later...

I'm one of those inclined to wait for the 2016 Edge. Since it's not the first of the Ford's rolling out with the new Sync 3, it may be a silver lining in that the bugs as yet undetected by the factory will be identified by the new drivers of the Explorer, etc. and hopefully come up,with patches to correct. Hopefully. I've waited almost 10 years to get a new car, I guess I can wait a few months!