Price paid for 2015 Edge Thread

Can we start a thread for what were paying for the 2015 Edge. You should list the MSRP and then what you paid. We do not need tax, title, license, out the door pricing as this will vary by location. I am looking to purchase one in the next 90 days and it would be great to get an idea on what people are paying.

Thanks

It's pretty simple. Go to edmunds.com or somewhere that posts invoice prices and figure out the invoice price for the vehicle you want including destination charge. Add $500 to cover the advertising fee that gets added to the invoice by Ford but isn't shown by the internet sites because it varies by location, but $500 is a good guess. This is the true dealer invoice price. Now subtract any Ford rebates. You should be able to purchase an Edge for somewhere between $200 below to $500 above this price depending on the dealership and stock levels. The dealer still makes 3% holdback even if they sell at invoice. You also have to be aware of the doc fee - this is additional profit that often isn't advertised up front but could be as much as $700 - just be sure to add that to the cost since it varies by dealer.

X plan - for comparison - works out to around $150 over true dealer invoice with a $100 doc fee limit.

From Canada, I’ve been using CarCostCanada (CCC) sine 2008. Best investment I ever made. Here’s what CCC says:

Wholesale Price - Also referred to as the Dealer Invoice Price, Dealer Factory Price or Dealer Cost. The price the dealer pays for the car, before adjusting for any applicable Factory Incentives. To start your negotiations, take this number, add a fair dealer markup/profit (3%-6% on most cars) and deduct any applicable factory incentive

You first need to get to the wholesale price. You also need a high volume sales rep (versus margin).

Here’s my approach:
1- Don’t expect an unrealistic discount, like $5000 on a $50000 vehicle. Margins and wiggle room have narrowed quite a bit since my first car purchase some 45 years ago.
2- I find that the sales rep has control over the margin (wholesale – retail), while the dealership owner has control over the hold back (2-3%) and the two don't cross territories
3- Determine the wholesale price and come prepared with supporting numbers
4- I don’t chew into the hold back. First, it’s very difficult, second these guys need some margin to survive, and I don’t want them to later get back at me on service
5- Find a high volume sales rep. Mine is very transparent and is OK with $1000 over wholesale. I believe that puts me just under X pricing
6- I leave alone the various incentives I think the sales rep gets; example: kick back on X pricing, on purchase financing (if <0%, obviously). He needs to make a living too… and still be there at my next purchase
7- Once you've found a high volume sales rep, it’s OK to look around at your next purchase, but it makes so much sense to go back to him: less negotiating time and maybe he’ll shave a few $100’s for a repeat customer

I’ve acquired 3 Edge’s with this approach and, on average, get between $3000 and $4000 off the retail pricing, depending on factory rebates before taxes.

Yes, I could probably squeeze a bit more. But the more you squeeze, the less prone the sales rep will be to stand by you should a major issue arise. I've seen my sales rep walk across to the service department and get some charges dropped that were legit but that I thought unfair.

Agreed. I view holdback as the bare minimum profit level the dealer deserves as well as the plan spiff checks from Ford. I don't understand people who think the dealer shouldn't make anything at all on a sale. I usually ask them whether they would work for free.

A lot of U.S. dealers are selling vehicles at or below invoice with minimal doc fees. If you believe the folks that are posting prices. Apparently they're making their money on service and used car sales. Doesn't make sense to me.

As I understand it, service is very lucrative, if it sees important and regular traffic.

Psychologically, the most emotional moment of owning a car is the purchase. If a dealer advertises at Invoice less $x, that would get my attention and probably motivate me in servicing my car there. If the dealer can create enough volume with this approach, then I guess it could make sense. But it's all about generating volume.

As I understand it, service is very lucrative, if it sees important and regular traffic.

Psychologically, the most emotional moment of owning a car is the purchase. If a dealer advertises at Invoice less $x, that would get my attention and probably motivate me in servicing my car there. If the dealer can create enough volume with this approach, then I guess it could make sense. But it's all about generating volume.

And don't forget, if you're still going there for service after a few years, they will probably be looking at a repeat sale since you're always seeing all those shiny new cars every time you take your not so new car to the dealer. It's really a win win. Last time I took my 2011 to the dealer, an ambitious salesperson asked if I wanted to look at any cars in the showroom while I waited.

The money is definitely in service and parts though. Usually they charge retail for any parts they install and that normally means about 100% profit. Add to that the labor rates they charge are usually $60+/hr. I'm sure the mechanics are making in the $20's at the most.

I honestly think that when dealers are able to sell a car for several thousand off of MSRP, you think mentally that you are saving THOUSANDS. Then when you are charged retail for a $200 part, you shrug it off as a convenience fee. But add all those $50, $200, $500 parts and the dealer is making good money! That's fine by me, as long as they continue to treat me like a valued customer even when my car is getting long in the tooth.

... labor rates they charge are usually $60+/hr. I'm sure the mechanics are making in the $20's at the most....

Geez, I know our Canadian dollar is down, but we're paying $112.95/hour in Montreal. That's $90 US. Adds to the point that service is good money.

Helpful hints but hopefully we will see some real numbers from buyers.

Thanks

You can't really go by that if there is a trade-in. E.g. If the dealer lowballs the trade by $2K the gives the new one at $1K below invoice it sounds like a great deal but you lost $1K. Or they charge MSRP for the new one and bump up the trade-in to pay it off.

• Like 1

Most of the dealers in the Twin Cities don't negotiate, they have a "best price" that won't budge. Seems to me that is the best option. I really don't want to sit there and haggle. I came real close to buying a Fusion and they wouldn't even budge a couple hundred dollars. Glad I didn't take it, and am waiting for the Edge.

Sean,

Good link for reference. Some nice pricing on the Fusions!

I wonder if the dollar savings on the 2015 Edge's is all from the dealer or if there would be any factory incentives in there?

Yeah that price includes factory incentives. I think there is only $500 currently offered through Ford on the 2015 Edge. Hopefully that number goes up when they actually hit the lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a Tuxedo Black 2015 SEL AWD 2.0 Ecoboost with 201A bundle and roof rails for $33,574.00 ($36,150 MSRP) pre tax+tags in Pottstown, PA yesterday. Had an offer from another dealer for 32,995.00 WHEN they got one in stock but needed to purchase this week.

I had the same spec 2011 V6 FWD previously. It's a nice upgrade. I wish MFT was the new version but I never had a problem with the old version.

Edited by _11094

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at a Titanium model with the 301 package which MSRP's at $39,995. I am getting a Costco quote of $37,100 (not including T,T,L) prior to any rebates or my $750 coupon. This seems like a very god deal, but also looking at the Taurus that as some huge rebates.

Going back and forth as there are certain things I dislike about each but the Taurus will be about $5000 cheaper.

According to our Costco program we are to receive the dealer invoice price less $150 , less any rebates available at the time of delivery ... the dealer added $895 shipping , $610 advertising and $48.96 fuel charge ...

Ordered a /15 Titanium K4K AWD (300A) $35,058 + met paint (UG) $519 ,+ tech package (51T) $1,217, + vista roof (43P) $1,392

= $39,739.96 less -$436 ( pkg discount) - $150 ( Costco ) = NET $39,153.96 less any rebates ...plus (T,T&L)

We are looking forward to a good size unit with power to match and above average MPG , also hands free lift gate , back up camera , blind spot monitor , MPH speed sensitive wipers , acoustic glass , media hub , 10 way seats and 12 speaker Sony ... We view this as great value in a premium CUV and we haven't even seen one yet ...

Perk