2011 Edge Door adjar sensor issue

I have a 2011 Edge SEL with 55k miles on it. The drivers door sensor keeps coming on. I took it to dealership and they told me it was the door lock. Of course this isn't covered under warranty( even with the 100,000 mile extended warranty I purchased). This repair is $350-450 out of pocket to replace. Ford should warranty this item. I read the forums from others and it appears this is common issue so why is it not being recalled instead of making customers pay out of pocket? A vehicle with 55k miles should not have a door lock issue!

Thanks aKirby unfortunatly it's not a Ford extended warranty. Its a third party warranty but was suppose to cover 100k miles bumper to bumper. The warranty compsny says its a manufacturer issue with door lock and Ford dealership says its not under warranty.

I had this happen to me with my last car. Read that it was old grease in the latch that was gumming up the switch.

What I ended up doing was to spray WD40 into the latch (just opened the door and sprayed it into the latch). Opened and closed the door vigorously a couple of times and the lights went out. Had to do this every couple of years or so.

Give it a shot. doesn't cost anything and no harm done if it doesn't work.

• Like 1

Thanks aKirby unfortunatly it's not a Ford extended warranty. Its a third party warranty but was suppose to cover 100k miles bumper to bumper. The warranty compsny says its a manufacturer issue with door lock and Ford dealership says its not under warranty.

That's complete crap. If it's a bumper to bumper warranty then it should be covered unless it is specifically excluded. You could call anything a manufacturer issue. Escalate it and get the BBB involved if necessary. Don't just let them off the hook.

And now you know why we never recommend anything other than a Ford ESP (if you're going to buy one). You wouldn't have that issue with an ESP.

• Like 1

I have a 2011 Edge SEL with 55k miles on it. The drivers door sensor keeps coming on. I took it to dealership and they told me it was the door lock. Of course this isn't covered under warranty( even with the 100,000 mile extended warranty I purchased). This repair is $350-450 out of pocket to replace. Ford should warranty this item. I read the forums from others and it appears this is common issue so why is it not being recalled instead of making customers pay out of pocket? A vehicle with 55k miles should not have a door lock issue!

Hi LisaS82,

Have you had this repaired since your last post on this? Please let me know, along with your updated mileage, and I'll check out some additional options.

Meagan

My wife's Edge is at the Ford dealership now for this issue and they just told us it's going to be $420 to replace the latch. I tried spraying contact cleaner as instructed in the video but it didn't work. I'm hoping "Ford Service" might be able to chime in with a solution that will, at least, lesson the blow of this $420 price tag.

We have them on hold right now until we can decide or get some help. They need to know by 2:30 if we want to get the car back by tomorrow.

Edited by JeffRow

What cleaner did you use? If that has not worked, consider DIY'ing the latch replacement. There are instructions on this forum on how to do so.

CRC's QD Contact Cleaner. We decided to go ahead and let the Ford dealer/service replace the latch. We negotiated the price to $325. I think the part was $125 or so of that.