Reverse cam woes

Great news! We got the camera changed and everything reassembled with no drama, and the camera works better than it has for years. Of course I don't have the lines back yet. I purchased the MOACC wifi version scanner and downloaded Forscan. I have been unsuccessful in getting the scanner to be seen by my laptop. The Forscan program looks first for Bluetooth, then Wifi, then gives me a "No ELM detected" I've tried it with no power, power on, and engine running, all with the same results. When we plug the scanner into the vehicle, a red light comes on but no other lights flash. I am considering the option of returning this and getting either a Bluetooth version or a USB corded version. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong, or feedback on Wifi vs. Bluetooth vs. corded scanners.

Thanks in advance for any help, you all are terrific!

Success!!! I was trying to connect the OBD as a device when I should have been searching for "internet connections". It was further down the list as some of my neighbor's Wifi's were apparently stronger than the output of the OBD. Once connected, the procedure went quickly. The only difference I noted was that my GF's Edge has Mytouch pushbutton start and we had to do the procedure with it running until the program told us to turn it off.

Thanks to wlepse for the screencaps. I wouldn't have had the nerve to even attempt this without first seeing them.

Thanks to xK317Hx for the great photo's of the steps to getting the camera out; once again, very confidence building.

Thanks to omar302 for directing me to the various posts and for the encouragement.

Made my day! My GF had some Amazon points and ended up using them and got the camera for $77. $20 for the scanner. $97 total vs. $700+ at the dealers.

Anyone on the fence about doing this project should jump in. Plenty of great help here if you get stuck!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to thank all who have contributed to this thread. I have just replaced my camera using the guidance provided b xK317Hx (cut slot into screw) as an alternative, I used a small speed nut to replace the ridiculous screw, see pic:

20161010 144901[1]

I did lose my gridlines but hope to gain those back with the Forscan tool. Does anyone know if there is a way to refurb the old camera? it would be nice to get some of my $315 back!

Thanks again all!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My 2012 MKX is doing the same thing. Half the time the camera works; half the times I get the contact dealer message. Going in next week for service, but if they come back and charge me a ton, I'm going to do it myself. This is ridiculous. A safety issue that Ford has issues with. Should be a recall. Who is the watchdog on this stuff?

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, sorry to bring this thread back to life, first off the pictures and instructions are very clear and easy to follow. im just curious where is everyone getting cameras for $100?? everything i have seen is $300+ I noticed someone reffered to levittownfordparts.com but they are $350.00 are there still any $100 options out there?

Thank you,

hey guys, sorry to bring this thread back to life, first off the pictures and instructions are very clear and easy to follow. im just curious where is everyone getting cameras for $100?? everything i have seen is $300+ I noticed someone reffered to levittownfordparts.com but they are $350.00 are there still any $100 options out there?

Thank you,

Every one was getting the camera for ~ $100/-, the price for the camera suddenly went up everywhere, same part numbers.

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of "popular" Ford parts have skyrocketed in price recently. Dorman will end up selling them if Ford keeps their prices ridiculously high. Soooo much profit there for the taking.

I just installed a camera in our 2010. $30 from Amazon for the camera. Ford is likely paying less than $10 each for theirs and selling them for $300+.

Edited by IWRBB
  • Like 1

The 2010s did not have an OEM backup camera option. So I had to go aftermarket.

Just pointing out that they are $25 to $30 all day long on the internet, and I can understand $100 for an OEM camera- probably a (slightly) better piece of hardware. But, $300+ is just crazy.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have read through this thread and others like it since my problem(s) began to occur just out of warranty. My 2012 Ford Edge Sport AWD has had the back-up camera problem for over a year. It works on initial start up, but eventually blacks out while backing up, or continues display when driving forward until a certain time/speed turns it off. Eventually, the "Camera Unavailable-See Dealer" message appears. Pulling the PITA fuse (#32) restores the function, but only temporarily. My dealer, Windward Ford in Kailua, HI, has charged me $140 to diagnose a "camera problem"- which is BS, since the picture is perfect when it works. I believe it to be an APIM problem, since the camera works fine, until it does not come on, or stays on when driving forward. I have the latest SYNCH software installed.

Also, exactly like another gripe thread I read on this forum, the passenger side front door "Door Ajar" light comes on intermittently, even when the door is closed tight. The dome lights stay on and run down the battery, if it is not noticed during bright daytime light levels. Both issues are a defect in the design, which causes operation and indication symptoms when the actual hardware is not at fault. I have answered a class action lawsuit over the Door Ajar issue, it has already been filed.

Can anyone provide any context or information related to these issues?

Thank you in advance.

Gerry Mansell

Thank you for your interest in a class action lawsuit against Ford for the door latch defect in specific Ford and Lincoln vehicles. On April 4, 2017, McCune Wright Arevalo, LLP filed a class action lawsuit for this issue on behalf of owners and lessees of the following vehicles:

• Ford Edge (2011-2014)
  • Ford Flex (2013)
  • Lincoln MKX (2011-2015)
  • Lincoln MKT (2013)

There is no need to do anything further if you wish to become a class member since the lawsuit is filed on behalf of all current or former owners and lessees of these vehicles located in the United States.

If you have paid out of pocket due to the door latch failure, please keep your receipts and repair records. We believe that Ford should reimburse their customers for damages due to this issue and continue to provide repairs for those who may experience this in the future. There is no guarantee of our success in this case. We will continue to keep you updated as we progress with this matter.

Thank you,
McCUNE WRIGHT AREVALO, LLP
T: 909.557.1250 F: 909.557.1275 | 3281 East Guasti Road, Suite 100 | Ontario, CA 91761 | McCuneWright.com

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

just installed the newer part, f2gz-19g490-a, in my 2012 edge, works great, the green yellow red lines had been missing long time, their back.. plug and go, no calibration.

I went to dealer with the $85 without shipping, price from web and they let me have it for 100, about the same as the web one with shipping.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another user with Reverse Camera issue. I own a Ford Edge 2012 Limited.

Camera has its own mind, it will work only when it wants to. Also, it throws error camera unavailable, please contact your dealer.

Current condition is blurry camera (Whenever it works). Please advise if there is any workaround other than unit replacement.

You can always try cleaning the electrical connector, but am pretty sure a replacement is the long-term fix. You can choose to use the Gen 2 camera, it is much less expensive right now, has the right form factor, only downside to date is it will not calibrate, so no guidelines/blocks.

EDIT: Corrected per post below.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I tried yesterday to replace the camera on my 2012 Edge (Limited , FWD V6), with this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Rear-View-Reverse-Backup-Camera-BT4Z19G490B-For-Ford-Edge-Lincoln-MKX-2011-13-/162562036227

The image was upside down, and I couldn't calibrate it with ForScan. My old camera can still calibrate but disconnects frequently.

I will return it, but wonder why it didn't work. Is it because it's a Gen-2 ? There's a lot of BT4Z19G490B's available now but not sure which one to order now. Any recommendation ? thanks.

That listing does not come up. Is it an aftermarket camera or OEM?

Not sure here 's the description:

"We Purchase The Item From Factory With OEM Quality

Description:

2011-2013 Ford Edge Lincoln MKX Rear Reverse Parking Camera BT4T-19G490-AF BT4Z-19G490-B"

Maybe not OEM. There's quite a lot of choices on eBay, not sure which one to buy next. Has anyone replaced with one from eBay recently ?