First Impressions of New Edge

tron1974

I was able to stop by and take a look at the Edge I am getting. I am just figuring out the financing stuff, but I should have it in my driveway on Thursday.

Sorry for the crappy pics. I had only a little time. The Electric Spice color is definitely more orange than yellow which is nice. There were a at least 4 people that stopped when we were looking at it that asked if it was the new model. All I can do is compare it to my '05 Xterra. Definitely different types of vehicles but the Edge is quieter, bigger and much faster. It seems so wide in comparison. I loved driving it.

2pzmghz.jpgxqg7tk.jpg23kbvc5.jpg2rgm8gi.jpgsc761l.jpg2qkic0i.jpg2mysnrd.jpg

Edited by tron1974
  • Like 5

Congrats. I see you have NY plates. What dealership is that?

Van Bortel Ford in Rochester, NY. I will post the final cost when I have it. They gave me $1550 under invoice which includes the $500 rebate. The $1550 includes $300 below invoice, a $750 competitive vehicle dealer rebate (for my Xterra) and the $500 rebate.

I'll post more pictures in a few days.

Edited by tron1974
  • Like 1

I really hate the doc fee. This is the first car I purchased new that I am actually paying it. When I bought my '05 Xterra, they tried to charge it to me and I walked out the door. They chased me down and agreed to remove it. Just pure profit for the dealer.

EDIT: I will pick it up Monday. I found a local credit union for 0.99% financing for 3 years so I grabbed that. The best the dealer could do was 1.44%. It pays to call around for sure.

Edited by tron1974
  • Like 1

Im really jealous....Awesome looking edge sport! Acceleration must be sweet! I really like the stock rims(thats what my wife and I ordered).

Did your edge sport come with power tilt/telescopic steering wheel?

When did you order your sport?

Edited by cds71

did your edge sport come with power tilt/telescopic steering wheel?

Yes, it does telescope and move up and down manually. It is nice because I am 6'4" and needed the seat further back so I can move the steering wheel a little closer. Once I get the vehicle on Monday, I will post more pictures and maybe a video.

• Like 1

I think it had 21-ish miles on it. A bit more than I would have thought when I drove it. I was told no one would drive it since it is in the "sold" area.

I asked how much total the dealer was making and he said $980 (not sure if it includes the $75 doc fee) profit. This of course doesn't count any other incentives for selling a certain number of vehicles and so forth.

I think it had 21-ish miles on it. A bit more than I would have thought when I drove it. I was told no one would drive it since it is in the "sold" area.

I asked how much total the dealer was making and he said $980 (not sure if it includes the $75 doc fee) profit. This of course doesn't count any other incentives for selling a certain number of vehicles and so forth.

That sounds about right if they sold it to you for $300 below invoice and your sticker price was around 40k.

I picked up my Edge tonight. It's wicked fast. You have to love the twin turbos but the lag takes some time to get used to especially coming from my manual Xterra. Once I let it break in for 1000 miles or so, I can do a 0-60 with my Torque app.

I know a lot of folks complain about the MFT but so far it seems to work pretty well. I loaded up a 32 GB USB drive with a hundred or so discs and indexed them in no time.

Any questions? Anyone want specific pictures?

• Like 3

I picked up my Edge tonight. It's wicked fast. You have to love the twin turbos but the lag takes some time to get used to especially coming from my manual Xterra. Once I let it break in for 1000 miles or so, I can do a 0-60 with my Torque app.

I know a lot of folks complain about the MFT but so far it seems to work pretty well. I loaded up a 32 GB USB drive with a hundred or so discs and indexed them in no time.

Any questions? Anyone want specific pictures?

Congrats! I am sure you will put those 1000 or so miles on it in no time. Is there really a break in period any more? I thought that went out a few years back. Are the tires hankook as I have seen in All the pirevious pics or are they Pirelli? I have not had many problems with MFT either except on the navigation end of it. Sometimes I lose the gps and I end up driving in the middle of lakes and cornfields according to the map. Enjoy and take the rest of the week off and put a few layers of high end wax in that baby and send some pics all cleaned up for all of us to drool over. No additional miles "mysteriously" put on it I hope?

Break-in periods are still there, even if not talked about anymore. Taking it a bit easy the first 5000 miles is a good idea. It is true that the machining process and the fluids that support operation have come a long way, but ultimately, the owner is the one that has to get it into final shape. Even electronic circuits need burn-in, although it's much easier to do that at the factory than their mechanical counterparts.

Is the lag in the engine or the transmission?

It is interesting you mentioned lag. There is a small amount. I still have my manual Xterra here until I sell it and there is a difference. I step on my Xterra and there is just power. When I hit it on the Edge, there is maybe a 1/2 second delay then it just takes off. I think the 2.0 has some twin scroll system that is supposed to combat the lag but I believe the 2.7 is a straight twin turbo. I hit it once on the expressway and I was going 90 in no time.

Congrats! I am sure you will put those 1000 or so miles on it in no time. Is there really a break in period any more? I thought that went out a few years back. Are the tires hankook as I have seen in All the pirevious pics or are they Pirelli? I have not had many problems with MFT either except on the navigation end of it. Sometimes I lose the gps and I end up driving in the middle of lakes and cornfields according to the map. Enjoy and take the rest of the week off and put a few layers of high end wax in that baby and send some pics all cleaned up for all of us to drool over. No additional miles "mysteriously" put on it I hope?

I don't know about the break-in period specifically. I plan on keeping it for 10 year or more, so I want to make sure nothing gets damaged. The manual states 1000 miles but we'll see. The tires are Hankook Noble S1. I may get some winter tires before next season. There were about 4 additional miles added. I will wax it nicely once we get above freezing temperatures here.

They go WOT on the dyno before they leave the factory. You don't have to baby it - just vary speeds for the first 500 miles or so (or 1000 if that's what the manual says).

That lag is a combination of the automatic transmission and the electronic throttle control. It's not turbo lag.

• Like 2

They go WOT on the dyno before they leave the factory. You don't have to baby it - just vary speeds for the first 500 miles or so (or 1000 if that's what the manual says).

That lag is a combination of the automatic transmission and the electronic throttle control. It's not turbo lag.

Thanks for the info on the lag. This is my first ever turbo car and my first automatic in almost 20 years.

All of info and input here. Thanks for all the responses. I am all for "buy American" and I am kinda of srt back by the hankook brand being on a ford/Lincoln product period at least from the factory. I know that pereli probably isn't amaerican, but ain't japanese! Not that it a deal breaker for anyone, but just 'sayin'