We all had that "first car" what was your first car and compared to today what do you think?

macbwt

Mine was a Nissan pulsar(can't remember year). It had t-tops which I thought were pretty cool at the time. I miss the simplicity of cars back then. I don't care for all the new technology on newer vehicles(I'm sure I'm in the minority) Seems like more stuff likely to break and be costly to repair.

'75 Opel 1900 Ascona

It was fuel injected but had ignition points still. Great handling car with a lot of torque but not a lot of power at upper rev range. Extremely comfortable seats. Other than filing the points down semi regularly it never gave me a hint of problems.

9k_zpseabxjth2.jpg

Edited by DRbillZ
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

'65 Mustang hardtop with the 200 inch straight 6 and 4 speed. Was a hand-me-down from my brother. I blew 2 transmissions in it. My first new car that I purchased was a '85 Volkswagen Jetta GLI. The one with the honkin' ass square headlights. Was a nice looking car, tho, and really handled well.

• 2 months later...

My first car was a '68 Impala sedan with the 327 and a 4bbl carb. Loved that car. I put cragar SS wheels on it and kept the F78/14 tires on the front but upsized to G60/15's on the back. Drove it for two years of high school and two years of college til it blew up. Had a lot of "firsts" in that car if you know what i mean.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First car was a 1949 Chevy 2dr "slope" (fastback)... 235 6 cylinder, split exhaust manifold and a "Three on the Tree". It was the quintessential, mid 60's So Cal lowrider... dark blue metallic paint, white '64 Impala Super Sport interior, cut down steering column with a late '50's Oldsmobile wheel. Deep reversed, 14", Astro Supremes with 1" white walls. "Bellflowers" (side pipes)... Chromed or re-chromed everything not welded to the car.

And, last but not least, an 8-track tape player with "Reverb"!

GAWD, I wish I could go back in time... had good times "bumpin'" on Atlantic Ave in Northtown.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

My first car was a 1969 Pontiac Beaumont (Canadian only ) which is similar to a chevelle. It had not power steering or brakes. The only option was only a radio. I did put snow tires all the way around for the winter. It was a tank in the snow. I wish i still had it but just as a toy because the Red Edge Sport i have now has everything and with snows on it, its unstoppable in the winter.

• Like 1

Mine was a 57 Chevy Bel Aire 2 dr Sedan with a 283 and PG I bought in 1964 for $600. First thing I did was bore it out to a 301 and converted it to a 4-spd. As I recall I used to tear up differentials like every 6 months. Loved the car but it was a death trap, those old Tri-5's had the worst brakes for mountain driving. Sold it and got a 61 21 Window VW Samba van and then got drafted in 68. I was car less for two years but not careless, I made it home intact.

• Like 1

I remember my first car I ever bought. 1973 chevy vega. 70 series wheels on the front with 50 series on the rear. That engine was so bad that I actually found other working engines and trannys kept two of each on hand so I could change out the engine or tranny when they blew. I must of went through a dozen engine and at least two trannys in that car. I kept used oil in milk jugs in the back just to keep her topped off and running. I also got so good at engine changes that I could come home friday after school and change the engine out in time for my date that night.

That being said I have never had a vehicle like my orange crush ford edge that I have been able to put so many miles on. The work the manufacturers have done with engines today is hands down a display of engineering and fabrication process improvement examples that can not compare to the old days as they say. The manufacturers have learned a lot about aluminum and steel combinations that have opened up many doors.

Imagine having a Ford edge sport with the 2.7 back in 1973?! Nothing would beat it and people would be in awe.

First car I bought was a 2001 Ford Focus. Transmission blew out 3 years later (it was a used car).

Then got a 2011 Hyundai Tucson

Power Steering blew out after 4 months...twice.

Just wasn't a fan.

Traded it in for a 2011 Honda Element EX.

Transmission died this year at 91,600

I sold it (which hurt badly), and got a 2017 Escape.

Wasn't a fan.

Returned it, got the Edge.

I like it...but want SYNC 3 (or for now SiriusXM on the base - and the ability to play my ipod classic).

Best car of them all?

Without a doubt - 2011 Honda Element. Not even close.

• Like 1

Got my drivers license when I was 16 years old in 1969. My Dad bought me a 1956 Oldsmobile when I was 15, it had a blown motor. During the year wait until I turned 16 we found a 1960 394 cubic inch motor (325 horse power) for the Olds. I drove that car for around a year and had to trade it in because it was only getting around 9 mpg :(. Gas was 29.9 per gallon but I was only making 60 cents an hour with my first job :(. Two weeks after I traded it in for a 1963 VW Bug, I landed a job making the minimum hour of $1.60 :). I could afford to put gas in the VW Bug but I got a, 'girl friend'. Ended up 'being broke again'. :(

• Like 1

• 1 month later...