What is your MPG?

Texas001

My 'dealer' said that I would get 28 MPG on my new 2014 Edge with V-6 engine, FWD. Just like a half dozen other lies he told me. What are you guys in Texas getting? My best so far is 20.7MPG, mixed and one all highway trip got 22.7. What is considered the general break in period before the MPG hits its peak? No real faults found in my Edge so far, except maybe the My Touch is too smart for me. LOL

Everything is relative. If you are driving 75 to 80 mph you will never get the rated MPG. If you are driving 60mph you will get the rated mpg.

The information below is from a recent head to head comparison of a 2008 and 2011 Ford Edge's running identical miles and time on an identical route following each other.

Finally returned with the 2011 Ford Edge Limited. The color I mentioned was off a bit. It is actually registered as Cinnamon Metalic. Drives great and wife loves it. I did a head to head comparison on fuel mileage as both cars drove exactly the same distance and the refueling at the pump revealed the 2011 was running at 26.1 miles per gallon and the 2008 was running at 24 miles per gallon. Just as I was expecting the 2011 on the highway does pretty good. Time will tell now as it will become a mostly city driver now that the wife has it.

Edited by macbwt

At least 5K to break in fully. Why would you go by what the dealer said when the window sticker clearly shows the EPA estimates (19/27/22).

Are you resetting the MPG on the highway? You may still be running winter blend gas which will hurt your mpg. Wait until summer when you have at least 5K on it, get on a flat stretch of road at 60 mph, reset the mpg and you should get close to 27.

my 2013 sel got me 26+ on two trips of about 3,000 miles each. This was all around driving , two lane , interstate, mountains etc. On a four lane road running 65 mph it will exceed the 27 mpg highway rating. I don't reset the number 2 odometer. Car has 17,000 miles on it and the average for those miles is 25.3 . I'm happy with the mileage this car gets. I don't hot dog it but don't baby it either.

As others have said the mileage should increase after a few thousand miles.

Larry

A 2013 SEL 3.5 FWD here, only had it for since end of December, so less than 3 months. In upstate NY, Buffalo/Rochester where it's been a nasty winter. I commute 100 miles round trip weekdays. I am averaging 23 mpg on that commute. I'd say about 1/3 state 2 lane highway, 1/3 interstate, and 1/3 village or city. Not very hilly. I check what the on board computer says & compare to actual to get the average 23. The computer is a bit optimistic, but not too bad. I have about 6500 miles on it now, so just sneaking up on Break-In. The mpg seems to be getting a bit better, but then again the snow is diminishing & it is gettin a bit warmer, both factors will have a positive impact. 300 mile road trips that are mainly interstate will give me around 26 or 27, and that's at 70mph. I am fairly conservative in terms of acceleration and overall agressiveness. (save that stuff for the scooters).

I am pleased with these results. I hope by 10,000 on the clock it will get maybe 1 or 2 mpg better, but even if not I am ok. I think I do better than EPA on the highway, but worse than EPA city. I am enjoying the ride an awful lot, just a couple bugs but nothing serious. No issues with MFT, and I like the nav as well. Let's put it this way: I'd recommend an Edge to anyone & I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Hope you enjoy yours too!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I only just now have 3000 on the car. Took a trip of about 70 miles a couple of weeks ago, thru and lot of small hills and got 30.2 mpg on the trip. Guess it was just a matter of putting a few miles on the car. I drove mostly around 50-55 mph. Now I am happy. Around the area I am getting 22 mpg.

I have only done local driving since purchasing my FWD, V6, 3.5L '13 SEL last October. I have only driven it approximately 2000 miles in 8 months. I'm getting 14.8 mpg. Doesn't seem so good compared with everyone else's claims.

Doing a NY to FL road trip in the fall, so I'll report back to you all then.

• Like 1

2011 Gen2 3.5 running fairly consistant miles at an average speed of 75mph is getting about 24mph (23.6 -23.9) pretty consistantly running 92 fuel with alcohol mix and top tier gas. This is 3mpg better than the 2008 average over the same drives. I would say ford improved the fuel milage noticably with the Gen2 3.5. Note: I carry about 200lbs of equipment in the car also besides myself.

• Like 1

2007 all hilly 2 lane local roads about 20 miles each way every day. In the spring I was getting about 20.5 on a normal week. With the A/C running all the time now I get about 19 on the same trip. I don't consider that bad for the conditions. On a long highway trip and resetting the MPG while underway (after accelerating on the road) it has gotten around 23.5.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Well here I am about a year further down the road, so I'm updating. My normal commute routing has not changed, but I am now up to about 24 to 24.5 mpg. There's about 33,000 on the clock now. I took a road trip recently from my home in Wyoming NY down to Westchester NY (north of NYC), and got a very acceptable 29mpg. I am very pleased with this car in every respect.

A 2013 SEL 3.5 FWD here, only had it for since end of December, so less than 3 months. In upstate NY, Buffalo/Rochester where it's been a nasty winter. I commute 100 miles round trip weekdays. I am averaging 23 mpg on that commute. I'd say about 1/3 state 2 lane highway, 1/3 interstate, and 1/3 village or city. Not very hilly. I check what the on board computer says & compare to actual to get the average 23. The computer is a bit optimistic, but not too bad. I have about 6500 miles on it now, so just sneaking up on Break-In. The mpg seems to be getting a bit better, but then again the snow is diminishing & it is gettin a bit warmer, both factors will have a positive impact. 300 mile road trips that are mainly interstate will give me around 26 or 27, and that's at 70mph. I am fairly conservative in terms of acceleration and overall agressiveness. (save that stuff for the scooters).

I am pleased with these results. I hope by 10,000 on the clock it will get maybe 1 or 2 mpg better, but even if not I am ok. I think I do better than EPA on the highway, but worse than EPA city. I am enjoying the ride an awful lot, just a couple bugs but nothing serious. No issues with MFT, and I like the nav as well. Let's put it this way: I'd recommend an Edge to anyone & I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Hope you enjoy yours too!