Seeking info on Ford Edge reliability

mkaresh

I've been to that site twice, but their was something about it i didn't like. I don't know if it was the info required of me to 'signup' or what, I can't remember, but when i left i had no desire to go back.

It's their site to handle how they want, but it was something about being their, that made me feel uncomfortable.

just my .02$

You probably didn't like that I asked for a license plate number. I started asking for this in the first place because some paranoid people felt that otherwise people would fake cars to influence the results. I figured that no form of personal info is more public, by design. And the plate would be much easier to remember than a VIN. No one would know their VIN.

Now that I ask for it, other people wonder what I might do with their license plate number.

To date, I've done nothing with them. But this does allow me to verify that vehicles exist if this ever seemed necessary. It is possible to enter 99 for the plate number if you can't remember it. I can always ask for it latter if this is necessary.

Bought the car near the end of June and have put 2000 miles on the car already.

:stats: Signed up today, I think you'll get a pretty good gauge of reliability with how much I love to drive this car!

Andrew

2000 miles already, going on a 4500 mile road trip in December. Just love my Ford Edge. No complaints, it's so quiet, you have to be very carefull not to start it again! while it's running, done that once or twice. Go for it, it's a great drive!!

• 1 month later...

Thought I would add a post to the reliabilty column.....

Took delivery in May. As of Nov 2, I have 25,000 kms. This is a great vehicle and I am very peased....

First problem was this week, I noticed a wheel noise in the rear that seems to be getting worse. Dealer says it's a wheel bearing, but they don't have parts at the depot. Should be fixed next week, but I am still driving.....

SEL AWD version.

The December 2007 issue of Consumer Reports (just out this week) contains a brief update on auto reliability. The headline for the article is "Predicted Reliability: Toyota slips, Ford gains." There are many Ford vehicles among their "Newly Recommended" models, including the Edge and Fusion. There are a bunch of Toyota, GM, and European cars that are now "No Longer Recommended", in addition to the Mazda CX-7 and CX-9.

Just thought you'd like to know.

CR's results have just been released, but the data they're based on is already six months old.

TrueDelta just posted updated results, based on data that is just a little over a month old.

Over the next year, their data will get older and older, while TrueDelta's will get updated every three months.

When buying a car, do you want to know how reliable it was a year ago, when it was a year younger, or how reliable it has been recently?

• 1 month later...
Updated results in February covering owner experiences through the end of 2007.

Would like to also have results for the 2008, but need more participants for that year.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research--especially need more 2008s!

Tried to go to your link but it won't come up. Will sign up my 2008 Edge Limited we just got on 11/29/07.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks, I appreciate it.

The latest results were recently posted. For the 2007, I reported results separately for the FWD and AWD. The former has a better than average repair rate. The AWD is much worse because of a single common repair, for a leaking PTU (which transfers power to the rear wheels).

I don't have enough 2008s to know if they also have this problem. Need more participants for both years, but especially for the 2008.

For the full set of results, and sign up to help (if you haven't already):

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

• 4 weeks later...
Bought the car near the end of June and have put 2000 miles on the car already.

:stats: Signed up today, I think you'll get a pretty good gauge of reliability with how much I love to drive this car!

Andrew

Have had my 2wd Edge since March. Just turned 6,000 KM's with no problems at all with this 2008 vehicle.

Dave

Edited by GettnEdgey

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We have updated results for the Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007 FWD: 28, better than average

2007 AWD: 95, worse than average (PTU seal, as before)

2008: 28, identical to 2007 FWD and better than average.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years. We especially need more 2007s and 2009s.

We now have a separate results page for each model that includes the results for competitors. The page for the Ford Edge:

Ford Edge reliability comparisons

• 3 months later...

We have updated results for the Edge and MKX to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007 FWD: 17, better than average

2007 AWD: 99, worse than average, thanks to the PTU seal

2008 FWD: 60, about average, but marginal sample size; actual repair rate likely lower based on 2007 results

2008 AWD: 88, worse than average, PTU seal continues to be a problem area

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Ford Edge reliability comparisons

• 2 months later...