2015 Ford Edge engines explained VIDEO

macbwt

• 3 years later...

I thought the 2.0 was rated to tow 2000#. Now I need to add a hitch as a back up for towing the boat to the lake. Less than 3k with the trailer and it is only 5 miles to the launch. I agree the 2.0 is probably not the best choice for long haul or very long hills on the highway, but it is nice that it is rated to 3500 for the occasional boat or small camper tow.

• Like 1

I thought the 2.0 was rated to tow 2000#. Now I need to add a hitch as a back up for towing the boat to the lake. Less than 3k with the trailer and it is only 5 miles to the launch. I agree the 2.0 is probably not the best choice for long haul or very long hills on the highway, but it is nice that it is rated to 3500 for the occasional boat or small camper tow.

The 2.0L is only rated at 3500lbs if you have the Factory Tow package.

Remember, you have to account for all added weight to your Edge. Boat, trailer, people in the Edge, gear, even that tank of gas. Add all that up. 2000lbs is the Max. Realistically, 1600lbs total to add a safety margin.

• Like 1

Incorrect, it includes Everything added to the vehicle, even the hitch.

You’re thinking of GCWR - Gross Combined Weight Rating - which includes both the tow vehicle, trailer and all contents of both.

Or GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - which is the max weight of the tow vehicle not including the trailer.

Tow rating is the maximum weight of what you are towing.

• Like 1

You’re thinking of GCWR - Gross Combined Weight Rating - which includes both the tow vehicle, trailer and all contents of both.

Or GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - which is the max weight of the tow vehicle not including the trailer.

Tow rating is the maximum weight of what you are towing.

I've towed with a 14 Edge 3.5L (Factory tow pack), 15 Edge 3.5L (3rd party hitch) and a 16 Escape 2.0L EB (Factory tow pack).

Our tent trailer (with brakes BTW) is 2450lbs loaded (that's gear, propane tank, battery, 2nd 3cuft fridge, trailer rack and 2 bikes, etc.)

Then as a family of 4 add 550lbs, gas tank full is 150lbs and some gear 75 odd pounds, total; 775lbs approx.

I would not want to see another 400lbs (or more) behind the hitch. Even the 14 with factory tow pack would be stressed. Maybe on dead flat regions might be ok. For mountain passes where we are, no way. Ford numbers on paper can say what they want, just from driving these 3 vehicles in towing situations I experienced the following;

Long camping trip, 1200KM+ (750+ miles)

14 Limited with factory tow pack handles this with no issues.

15 SEL with just a Class III hitch had 2 temporary AWD failure notices on the dash.

16 Escape SE just plain suffered and had next to no "get-up-and-go" on the on ramps and forget about passing safely. (plus, the Escape is about 700lbs lighter than the Edge which you'd think might help) It's got a highly over-rated towing capability. The 2.0L EB should be rated at 2000lbs Max.

• Like 1

But you said the factory tow rating included all the vehicle passengers and cargo and that’s simply not correct. It’s only the weight of the trailer and contents.

Now if you’re saying that you would not want to tow that much with additional weight in the tow vehicle that’s a completely different story. Don’t confuse factory specs with your personal recommendations.

• Like 1

But you said the factory tow rating included all the vehicle passengers and cargo and that’s simply not correct. It’s only the weight of the trailer and contents.

Now if you’re saying that you would not want to tow that much with additional weight in the tow vehicle that’s a completely different story. Don’t confuse factory specs with your personal recommendations.

The tow capacity can't distinguish weight in the vehicle and the trailer. Weight added is weight added. Factory tow pack is rated at 3500lbs. That means Any weight added to the vehicle from time of purchase should be subtracted from max tow weight. So, 3500lbs max minus 2450lbs loaded trailer minus 775lbs people and extras in vehicle = 275lbs below Maximum weight.

Not exceeding tongue weight is also very important. Interior load capacity of the Edge is 909lbs. Add your interior load to trailers tongue weight to see if you are in spec.

• Like 1

Nope, nope nope. You’re talking about GCWR - Gross combined Weight Ratio. The weight of the vehicle and contents plus the trailer and contents. That is totally different than the Tow Capacity. The Tow Capacity is how much weight you can pull behind the hitch. Period. Ford says this explicitly in their towing guides.

And yes tongue weight does matter as does GCWR.

Let’s say the Edge weighs 4000 lbs and the GVWR is 5000 lbs and the tow rating is 3500 lbs. You can add 1000 lbs of cargo and/or people to the vehicle AND tow a 3500 lb trailer and still be within Ford’s recommendations assuming the GCWR is at least 8500 lbs.

• Like 1

Look at the first chart - it says Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight. Doesn’t say anything about the vehicle contents.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_Edge_Sep7.pdf

Thing is, you'll be hard pressed, I'd say almost impossible, to find a trailer over 2000lbs that has the correct tongue weight and with all other weight factors added.

If I went into a 2500lbs trailer the tongue weight would be around 230-250lbs. Now I'm way over the tongue weight and over-loaded with a family of 4, full tank of gas and no gear inside the Edge. So i agree the Edge can tow 3500lbs, probably more, however, the tongue weight is where it gets overloaded.

It's like people who put slide-in campers into an 1/2 truck, eg: F-150. Big No no. You need a 3/4 ton like a F-250.

Safety is #1, not only for others on the road but, for you as well.

• Like 1

I’m not arguing whether it’s a good idea or possible given the other parameters.

I’m just telling you that’s the definition of tow capacity per Ford.

I'm not trying to make it into an argument either.

However, I think Ford is wrong to state a number like, 3500lbs, without giving proper/critical details. It's not just Ford either, it's all manufacturers. In this class of SUV and most minivans they are all rated at 3500lbs. Seems like a marketing number rather than a safely, proven, actual number.

• Like 1