2007 Edge Sound System Upgrade Questions

We just picked up an '07 Edge SEL, the speakers sound terrible (to me) so I am looking at upgrading. I have a few questions about Ohm loads and speaker configuration etc.

We have Nav and a factory subwoofer, pic of our model radio attached.

1) How do you identify whether you have the premium or standard system without pulling the door panels or other disassembly (wondering if I have the dual drivers per door)?

2) What are the factory door speakers resistances (2ohm, 3ohm, 4ohm)?

3) What are the door speaker dimensions (diam & depth)?

4) To add a subwoofer amp do I need to bypass the factory subwoofer amp and if so is there a simple plug & play harness?

5) What is the factory subwoofers resistance?

6) What is the internal depth of the factory subwoofer enclosure?

7) What is the internal volume of the factory subwoofer enclosure?

Thanks for the help

post-34706-0-95209500-1427197888_thumb.jpg

If you have a sub you have the premium system. Crutchfield will show you which speakers fit the doors and that will let you figure out 2 and 3. I answered 4. If you want to upgrade the factory sub amp you'd probably need to upgrade the sub as well. There are some old threads about aftermarket subs and what fits the factory space - do a forum search.

@ akirby

Thanks but as I said I would like more specific info.

I read there is a 9 speaker option (premium), is that just a 4 speaker system with 6x8 2way drivers and the sub?

Also Crutchfield shows 3 and 4 ohm drivers will work in the Edge, they show this option for almost every vehicle, that does not tell me if the factory drivers are 2,3,4 or xxx ohm.

Also because someone else stuck some subwoofer in their vehicle that doesnt mean that they used the proper driver for the system, I can drop a dual 1ohm sub in the location but that doesnt mean thats optimum.

I will just break out my DMM and tape measure myself, seems like the only way to get the answers I need.

Hey all,

I have an '07 SEL Plus that had the 6 disc cd changer, no navigation, though. All of the doors had a "component" set of 4" mid with a @ .5" tweeter in a 6x8 enclosure. I believe that those speakers were 2 ohm speakers and the 8" sub was a dual 4 ohm speaker. The speaker locations in the doors is a 6"x8" cutout with enough room to fit about 2.75" depth without a spacer. The sub enclosure will fit @ 3.75" depth, and the enclosure is @ .3 cf. To put in your own amp for the sub, I would suggest running new wires for the amp UNLESS you are not going to run more than @ 100 watts. I put a JL Audio into the stock enclosure and bridged the stock amp to run the SVC 4 ohm load. I haven;t run any tests, but based on past systems I have had, I would say that @ 90-100 watts is the MAX being pushed by the stock amp. Here are some pics of the new sub: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/17085-2007-edge-subwoofer/?do=findComment&comment=124686

Here are a couple of pics of the doors: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/17320-door-speaker-installation/?do=findComment&comment=124688

There is a plug and play harness to connect an aftermarket HU to the stock sub amp with stereo rca's and remote turn on wire that comes as part of a mounting kit.

All said and done, I have a Pioneer DVD player running @ 17 watts to each door and a stereo sub out running 2 volts to the factory sub amp. Speakers are Polk Audio dxi6501's in the front door and A pillar, dxi571's in the rear doors, and the JL sub in the back. It isn't going to win any loudness competitions, but it does suprise people with how loud and low the system actually plays, especially when they find out what speakers are in there. Hope this helps some.

Gary W.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I know that this is an old thread but as I was replacing all 4 speakers in my 08 edge over the weekend and ran into a bit of a problem. I have already upgraded the head unit with a pioneer double din and used the idatalink module to be able to keep the sync and steering wheel controls etc. So I decided to use comp. in the front and coax in the rear and when I hooked up the speakers only the right front and the sub are now playing. Do I need to bypass the factory amp to get the speakers playing correctly? I figured that it wouldn't be an issue just swapping out the speakers. The plan is to do a full system upgrade with an amp for the doors and an amp for the subs in a custom box. Any help or ideas would be gratefully appreciated

• 1 year later...