Edge won't take fuel into tank.

twodips

Do you have AWD? That is a bit more labor as you have to remove catback and driveshaft to get to the fuel tank. Otherwise it's disconnecting a bunch of lines & brackets. I'd think aftermarket SS would be cheaper to get this done at.

Canister and solenoid are underneath the vehicle, under the passenger seat area approximately, from the diagram posted earlier, near as I can tell. No direct fuel tank involvement.

The closest thing I can find by your description of the vent is the BT4Z-9D667-A part, which is Fuel Vapor ReturnTube Assy Part Includes 9C052 Pressure Transducer

It's FWD. It would be nice if a vid was available or at least a description of what tools are needed to R&R the canister. Specifically if you need one of those line lock removal rings (like are used to unlock the vent tube) and what size is needed.

******UPDATE******

I ordered and received the EVAP Canister and Canister Vent Solenoid. This morning I went out, jacked up the drivers side to install the new parts.

Under the drivers door there is a composite splash shield that has to be removed to expose the EVAP assembly shield. What I found interesting and concerning is the words "Do Not Jack" on the shield itself. This makes sense as you could damage the Solenoid/Canister which "may" have been what happened to begin with. What's concerning and really stupid in my opinion is that Ford designed said shield and went as far as to stamp on it in big letters only to hide it under an unmarked splash shield where it'd be real easy to mistakenly place a floor jack and not know. :headscratch:

Removal/replacement took about 1 1/2 hours though now I could probably do the job in about 45 minutes. Easy peasy, code cleared and CEL went away not to mention it accepts fuel now. :happy feet:

Edited by twodips
  • Like 2

Hope that pesky CEL remains asleep, nice work! Yeah, interesting about the warning on the shield. Wonder how many mechanics have actually used it as a jack point? Hmmm ...

Well being that you don't even know it's there due to the large splash shield (4 feet long) covering that whole section I'd bet a whole lot of tire people and home mechs have hit it at least once.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

My Edge just developed this CEL/cant fill issues. The Edge was parked all weekend. I got in to go to work and the CEL was on. Ran ok so I went to work. Stopped for gas on the way home and could not get much fuel in like others here. Took it to the dealer and they have it now. Is there a service bulletin on this? Waiting to see what they say. I'm still under warranty.

• 6 months later...

2013 Limited. I too am having same issue. I am beyond disappointed in FORD over this. It is clear this should be a recall with so many people having this issue. This is my first Edge, but I had 6 Explorers before this car so I have been very loyal to Ford. Now I am beginning to question my choice with the Edge. Come on Ford you can build these cars better than this. $$$ to fix.

2013 Limited. I too am having same issue. I am beyond disappointed in FORD over this. It is clear this should be a recall with so many people having this issue. This is my first Edge, but I had 6 Explorers before this car so I have been very loyal to Ford. Now I am beginning to question my choice with the Edge. Come on Ford you can build these cars better than this. $$$ to fix.

Apparently you don't understand recalls. Those are only done for safety reasons. What you probably meant was they should extend the warranty on the evap cannister and purge valve and I would tend to agree. With the exception that at least some of these problems are caused by people overfilling the fuel tank. Ford shouldn't be on the hook for that.

• 4 months later...

2012 Edge SE 130k miles.

Same problem. EZ Fuel filler won't accept fuel. Takes about a gallon then shuts the pump off.

Solution: replace the EVAP charcoal canister with attached solenoid vent valve. Jack up the drivers side front and back, remove the plastic/composite cover (4 10mm screws and 4 plastic rivet/clips), remove the canister assembly (3 12mm screws) and detach the single electrical connector at the solenoid and 3 hoses. Boom.

Installation is the reverse. Easy job. Took maybe an hour with "help" from my 17 yr old son.

Shop quoted me $500 for the job, I did it for the price of the assembly ($250 at my Ford dealer) plus an hour of my Sunday.

Code cleared and it fueled up like a champ. Good luck to others with this same problem.

• Like 1