Antenna Connection

Hey all,

I have a 2007 Edge SEL Plus that I have installed a Pioneer DVD player in the dash. The radio performance has been sub-par, especially on medium distant staions that the stock stereo, and every other stereo I've installed, have no problems picking up. The ONLY installation difference is the antenna adapter that was needed because Ford likes the mini antenna plugs. :shrug: I want to look at the inexpensive fixes first, so, does anyone know the correct adapter to use? My research brings up a Dodge adapter... that doesn't sound right.

I can't return the stereo because 1) I purchased it out of town and it took a while until I got to install it, and 2) I DON'T WANNA!!!! I have had multiple Pioneer units in the past, and radio reception has NEVER been an issue.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Gary W.

An adapter should make no difference. It is just a coax pass through. Could your new head unit be defective? I'm only saying this because you have tried other heads and it was good, otherwise the adapter might be suspect. You could try plugging a known good antenna directly into the head unit and seeing if it fixes the problem.

Hey all,

I had a chance to talk to an installer that I trust around this area, and came to the conclusion that the Pioneer HU I have and the adapter for it are both working well. He told me that there is a certain station around here that it would not pick up if it weren't working correctly. I guess I have to keep in mind that I live in a valley area that could result in spotty reception. I confirmed it, sort of, by parking a few feet differently than where I normally park at my house... i.e., where I installed the stereo. Guess I just pick the wrong times to be critical about wanting to listen to certain stations. It just might be a less sensitive radio than I am used to, as well. Thanks for the responses!

Gary W.

• Like 1

Don't know if this is still a factor, years ago when I replaced radios with aftermarket, each radio had to be tweaked to the antenna through the use of an adjustable variable cap (accessed from the rear of the radio usually near the antenna connection).

Don't know if the modern HU's can adapt automatically but if not, you could try tuning the radio to the existing antenna by adjusting this cap.