Drive Shaft

J0J0

gallery_31460_642_26243.jpgWhile under my car doing regular maintenance and inspection, I saw how rusty the driveshaft has become in less than a year of ownership.

I know grinding off the surface rust is a no-no because I can offset the balance. IF I spray some rust inhibitor to convert rust as well as prevent future rust from forming and then spray paint it black, do you think it will offset the balance of the driveshaft?

71y8LGPtw-L._SL1500_.jpg

Probably not, as long as you spray thin even coats each time, and don't add much mass to the driveshaft. You would want to be careful around any joints/hangers/bearings though, tape the heck out of them to prevent overspray.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1184854-drive-shaft-rust-treatment.html

http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=86041

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Would bug the heck outta me too!

At last! I have proof for my wife that I'm not crazy. She told me to stop looking under the car. Kinda like when you say "Doc, it hurts when I do this with my arm" and the doctor just says "Then don't do it anymore."

• Like 1

Exhaust will be changed, so I'm not worried about it. The drive shaft won't be changed. I know it's not important to most but for me, it's just an irritant knowing it's there.

Since I will be moving to florida and will be very close to the Gulf, rust is an issue that if dealt with now, the car will last longer. At least I don't have to deal with road salt anymore. The car was run through and underbody wash consistently her in NY.

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced the driveshaft last night on my wife's MKX - took about 40 minutes. The $200 replacement had more rust than the one I took off. I could have removed the rust and painted it before installing it. It was sitting on the garage floor for over a month, so I had plenty of time to clean it up. But, dealing with surface rust on a driveshaft is way too low on my list of priorities.

Edited by Zazzy

I replaced the driveshaft last night on my wife's MKX - took about 40 minutes. The $200 replacement had more rust than the one I took off. I could have removed the rust and painted it before installing it. It was sitting on the garage floor for over a month, so I had plenty of time to clean it up. But, dealing with surface rust on a driveshaft is way too low on my list of priorities.

May I ask why was the driveshaft replaced? What was the problem & was fixed? Thanks.

May I ask why was the driveshaft replaced? What was the problem & was fixed? Thanks.

We have 2008 with the three piece driveshaft. Later model 2008's had a two piece driveshaft. The rubber on the 2nd bearing/u-joint support came apart. It was very noticeable on tight low speed left turns and sounded (and felt) like a CV joint was bad. I attached two photos of the torn rubber bearing support.

I replaced it with the two piece driveshaft, which is a simple bolt-in.

post-31797-0-79737400-1429935073_thumb.jpg

post-31797-0-82670600-1429935106_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zazzy
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Hello

Did this take 40 minutes with the use of a lift?

• 5 years later...

Hi Friends, today I removed the drive shaft, it has the same damage, the rubber bands of the outboard bearings are torn. I want to replace the outboard bearings, front and rear, and have already ordered them (Febest, they are the same as on the Mazda CX-9), but I don’t understand how to separate the three parts of the drive shaft for replacement, does anyone know how to do this?