Vent Leak? Pics

dbomb343

So with all the talk of PTU leaks on this forum and having some good weather this weekend, I decided to check under my edge and see what it looked like. Middle two pictures are of the rear driver side axle, the passenger side was completely dry. The other two are what I think are the PTU vent and fill hole (side shown faces rearward) and half covered with a greasy coating. The oil is black to the touch and the "vent" toward the top of the first picture is loose and rattles when I touch it.

I haven't noticed any oil in the driveway but I'm on the highway a lot and driveway's usually snowy/muddy. Might notice a burnt smell in the car once in a blue moon but very briefly. Will probably have the dealership take a look this week, still have powertrain warranty from certified pre-owned warranty. Any thoughts or diagnoses? Broken seals?

post-28065-0-66771300-1428456783_thumb.png

post-28065-0-13215700-1428456797_thumb.png

post-28065-0-63789700-1428456803_thumb.png

post-28065-0-13791000-1428456814_thumb.png

These are pics from the front of the car, right, not the back? That cover looks like it might be for the RDU? PTU fluid has a distinctively nasty smell, not sure about the RDU fluid. I'd tighten the vent back down, tape it up (to seal it), and degrease that area to see what's going on. But you may need to check the fluid/add fluid if it is an ongoing situation.

EDIT: You said you have powertrain warranty remaining? I believe any problems with the RDU should be covered under there.

Pics of the RDU courtesy of EBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-CARRIER-DIFFERENTIAL-2010-FORD-EDGE-/400824410840

post-23566-0-02610700-1428487903_thumb.jpg

post-23566-0-31258900-1428487911_thumb.jpg

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Thanks for your response. That makes more sense. The first and last pictures are taken from the rear and definitely seem to be the RDU. The middle two are taken from the front of the rear driver's side axle (may have the wrong term here, but it's going straight out to the wheel).
The RDU fluid would match with this thread http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/17225-2012-rear-differential-leakagain/ and TSB 14-0057 about the RDU vent leaking in cold weather. Still a little concerned about the driver's side axle though, might stop by the dealer later this week. Still have 7year/100k miles extended powertrain warranty and RDU should be covered.

Thanks again for your input! Will update if anything interesting comes up.

Thanks for your response. That makes more sense. The first and last pictures are taken from the rear and definitely seem to be the RDU. The middle two are taken from the front of the rear driver's side axle (may have the wrong term here, but it's going straight out to the wheel).

The RDU fluid would match with this thread http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/17225-2012-rear-differential-leakagain/ and TSB 14-0057 about the RDU vent leaking in cold weather. Still a little concerned about the driver's side axle though, might stop by the dealer later this week. Still have 7year/100k miles extended powertrain warranty and RDU should be covered.

Thanks again for your input! Will update if anything interesting comes up.

Let me know how your dealer visit goes, dbomb343, along with your updated mileage, and I can check out some options. :)

Meagan

• Like 1

Had the dealer look at it today actually, turns out the vent and a seal on the rear diff were leaking but also the PTU. Said the fluid inside was "gritty" too and they will replace the whole PTU and the seal for the RDU under warranty next week. They said they've had to replace a lot of PTU's and the seals frequently break. Very pleased with the service and that they will do a thorough fix.

With all the snow and road salt here it's apparently severe duty maintenance schedule. They actually recommended changing the PTU fluid every 30k with the BG flush machine, not sure if that's just from this dealer or Ford-wide for this region but sounds like a good idea to me. Hopefully keeping ahead of fluid changes will prevent it from recurring.

Meagan, I'm at 66,400 miles right now and the dealership is Champion Ford. Thank you for your concern.

• Like 1

Had the dealer look at it today actually, turns out the vent and a seal on the rear diff were leaking but also the PTU. Said the fluid inside was "gritty" too and they will replace the whole PTU and the seal for the RDU under warranty next week...

Sounds like another winning dealership to me!...

Hello dbomb343,

My name is Tricia, and I’m the other U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative on this forum. I agree with WWWPerfA_ZN0W. I’m glad to learn that your dealer is taking good care of you!

Don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns in the future, and welcome to the community! :)

Tricia

Edited by FordService