2.0 ecoboost..how is working in the new Edge?

garrett62

Put the shifter in S but dont use the paddles.

Wouldn't it just stay in 1st gear then?

I've driven the Edge in sport mode before (and a 488 GTB) but I just dont think that's a good solution for my wife to have a smooth ride. Coming from a AWD V6 NA Murano with a variable transmission this was an unwelcome change.

This is part of the reason I was looking for an ECU tune to try and smooth this out a bit more.

• 3 months later...

That delay is most likely the electronic throttle, not the turbo. There is no turbo lag to speak of.

I thought the lag was from the transmission being slow to downshift. I notice the tach immediately shows the RPMs jump but the speed doesn't increase until the transmission downshifts a second later.

• Like 1

I thought the lag was from the transmission being slow to downshift. I notice the tach immediately shows the RPMs jump but the speed doesn't increase until the transmission downshifts a second later.

In that specific case, yes. It's the downshift. But ETC also has a built in lag off idle for driveability.

• Like 1

In that specific case, yes. It's the downshift. But ETC also has a built in lag off idle for driveability.

I have noticed the lag off of idle, I didn't know it was intentional and I don't like it. I don't understand how a lag in throttle response would be considered better driveability. It feels like a stumble, I much prefer immediate response at all times. Do the other engine options have these same charactoristics, lag off idle and slow to downshift?

Edited by JSchneid

I have noticed the lag off of idle, I didn't know it was intentional and I don't like it. I don't understand how a lag in throttle response would be considered better driveability. It feels like a stumble, I much prefer immediate response at all times.

It makes it smoother off the line for the way most people accelerate. You can eliminate it with a tune or a separate module.

I'm sure the Edge ST won't have that issue.

There are no tunes from any of the well known tuners I would use.

There are 2 piggyback tuners made and sold in Europe, both have mixed reviews, I'm not willing to be the guinea pig.

Racechip

VR-Tuning

The primitive US based piggyback.

JMS BoostMAX

There is 1 mild ECU tune, it is wildly overpriced and when I inquired about it they really couldn't answer any questions.

Vivid Racing

So nothing. I have a 2015 Lincoln MKC 2.3 and it too has no tunes.

• Like 1

All depends on that right foot, what grade/quality fuel you're using (Top Tier Preferred), winter mix fuel, tire pressures, driving style etc. Most people forget that this is a turbo engine & is around full boost around 2,300 RPM (Don't have the exact figures in front of me) & need to 're-learn' how to drive in order to get the best MPG's out of the 2.0 Ecoboost. Accelerating to stop lights/signs is a very good way to burn fuel in these things. Just keep an eye on the fuel economy mode on the left side of the Speedometer & you'll see what i mean when you accelerate to stop. If you gradually get up to speed & coast to a stop sign, you're MPG's go way up. Anticipating stop lights or 'knowing' the cycle is also a good way to increase MPG's as you're not wasting fuel idling when you're getting 0 MPG's.

I've also seen a 2-4 MPG difference between a Top Tier station & a non Top Tier Station. Gas just isn't gas any more. Different Gas Stations have different additives in the fuel & some are worse than others. Speedway Gas Stations are the worse & I avoid them at all costs unless it's an emergency to get me a few miles up the road.

When my wife drives the car, she can't get much above 25-26mpg in the summer on the highway. When I drive, we get closer to 28-29. In the winter, she can barely get 23-24, but i get 25-27.

We're taking a road trip over the weekend & it'll be the first road trip with my Oil Catch Can installed, so maybe we'll see an improvement there as well.

I had a Catch can on my 09 edge, removed it when I traded it. I'm trying to figure out how & ware to install it on my 2017 2.0EB. Pictures or other info would be a great help.

I had a Catch can on my 09 edge, removed it when I traded it. I'm trying to figure out how & ware to install it on my 2017 2.0EB. Pictures or other info would be a great help.

Pics got boned by photobucket, let me see if i can find where I stuck them.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22063-oil-catch-can-on-the-20l-ecoboost/page-1

My 2100 mile pic is at the end of thread.

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Back to the OP- I am coming from owning an 11 sel awd with 3.5.

We really liked this vehicles solid feel and ride, styling.

My wife and I agree that the 2.0 is well suited to the 17 edge we now have. AWD Titanium.

The 2.0 is peppy off the line and passing on the highway.

Cruisung it gives the illusion of not downshifting quick enough for some folks liking. I can understand this criticism however i say it is an illusion because the 2.0 actually has more torque and it is through a longer rpm range than the 3.5, so if you just let it do its thing it performs well on the light acceleration without down shifting. My 87 BMW K 75c motorcycle was like this. It was very forgiving to what gear you were in compared to the speed. If you were in too high a gear and accelerated, it would just pull you out and never stall out. You could always downshift and get that snap but the torque was impressive.

I am not driving my edge to get the quickest 1/8 mile time- more for the great styling and comfort it offers.

If i want to do a burn out- i get in the 65 cutlass with 440 hp/470 torque and chirp second with an auto trans. Thats fun.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
On 5/8/2019 at 3:07 PM, 2011edgese said:

Personally I noticed going from a 2011 V6 fwd to a 2015 2.0L has given me less mpg. I was able to get 30mpg on cruise control steady and straight long trip roads with the V6.  Doing the same roads on my 2015 2.0L, max is 28 MPH. So much for 4 cylinder gas savers. 

Calculated or from Driver Information Center?   I am in a '17 F-150, and there is a way of correcting for errors on the Driver Info Center.  If I do go to the Edge, I hope that is still an option.

• 6 months later...