Swapping in new intake manifold for old manifold

3500cc

Has anyone heard or read about anyone putting a 2011-2015 upper intake manifold on a 2010-2007 engine?

I know the 3.8 v6 Mustang and 2.4 Accord engines showed significant improvements when using Windstar and Acura upper manifolds.

I wonder how much of the 20hp difference is only in the manifold design.

Maybe it won't fit or the older might even flow better? I know the newer appears to have a 90-degree bend and the older has about a 70-degree bend. I don't know about port sizes.

It would be really neat if this was an easy swap for more hp. I love to dream...

I remember the main difference was the addition of twin variable camshafts. The earlier 3.5 & 3.7L had a single variable intake camshaft while the new versions have variable intake & exhaust canshafts (dubbed "Ti-VCT" short for twin-independent variable cam timing). This means different heads and electronics that control them.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm sure you all have been losing sleep over this... I'm answering my own original question of this thread. After looking at the bottom view of a 2010 and a 2011 upper manifold, it is clear this will not work. The ports are in a straight line on the 2010 but staggered on the 2011. Ah well...

Ya I was thinking about both also. I think? there may be a higher risk with the thing running right though. In any case, the stock air box - 2010 or 2011 - may not fit under the 2010 hood right and if so, I wouldn't be able to pass Cali smog inspection every 2 years. Upper manifold pop-off-n-on is enough of a PITA, never mind pulling the lower every 2 years.