Post accident safety

Stattico

My beautiful new 2008 Edge Limited AWD (only two weeks old! :cry: ) just was involved in an accident and I am hoping someone with more car experience can provide some insight in to if I should still be driving it. It was a 5 car chain on the highway, I was the 3rd car and able to stop just barely in time but someone came slamming in behind me. The Edge performed beautifully with what appeared to just be some cosmetic damage to the back and the passenger side muffler getting pushed further in to the car and under the rear bumper a bit.

The car drives fine and sounds fine except that it feels like the shocks aren’t really working any more. Also when driving up an incline it bounces a bit but then on flat roads things are fine. I have an appointment to take it in on Tuesday but am trying to figure out if I should be driving it my 7 mile commute to work on Monday or if I am going to ruin the car.

Any advice? I just want to make sure I am not going to do any horrible permanent damage.

Thanks!

Kyle

My beautiful new 2008 Edge Limited AWD (only two weeks old! :cry: ) just was involved in an accident and I am hoping someone with more car experience can provide some insight in to if I should still be driving it. It was a 5 car chain on the highway, I was the 3rd car and able to stop just barely in time but someone came slamming in behind me. The Edge performed beautifully with what appeared to just be some cosmetic damage to the back and the passenger side muffler getting pushed further in to the car and under the rear bumper a bit.

The car drives fine and sounds fine except that it feels like the shocks aren’t really working any more. Also when driving up an incline it bounces a bit but then on flat roads things are fine. I have an appointment to take it in on Tuesday but am trying to figure out if I should be driving it my 7 mile commute to work on Monday or if I am going to ruin the car.

Any advice? I just want to make sure I am not going to do any horrible permanent damage.

Thanks!

Kyle

Hi Kyle. :D I am sorry for your bad luck. At least it was not your fault!

In reality, there is no way for any of us to give a definitive answer over the Internet. Of course the safe answer is: If you are concerned and feel your Edge's suspension is damaged and not performing as it should, you should not drive it. There is always the possibility of further damage (even if it is a small possibility).

Do you have Insurance coverage, or preferably the name and Policy # of the Company covering the person that hit you?

Call them and let them know you need them to provide a loaner car until your car is repaired. They will then either need to provide the rental, or check your car to be sure it is safe if they refuse and say it is drivable. If they say it is drivable, there is your answer.

Otherwise, the only other recommendation I can make, if you are not sure how bad the damage is, would be this: Have the friend of yours with the most automotive knowledge take a look at it, or drive it to the nearest service station and have them take a quick look. Get their advice as to whether you can drive it safely or not.

Having said all that, you probably can drive it, but when in doubt, play it safe.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Park it at the body shop and get a rental as bbf2530 suggests.

Tell your insurance agent you thought it was drivable but now don't feel comfortable driving it in the damaged condition and do not want to cause secondary damage. They should have you in a rental with no questions asked.

I don't know about auto policies but with home policies if you do not take steps to mitigate your damages some firms will hold you to the letter of the policy and not cover any "secondary" damage caused by your inaction. An extreme (unrealistic) example would be having a pipe burst and not shutting off the water to the house.

Glad to hear no one was hurt and good thing you didn't get pushed in to the vehicle ahead of you and have the air bags go off. Two front airbags, dash covers and front bumper and sensors get really expensive, really fast. I thiink you may be shocked by the bill for the rear end damage even without suspension damage. Rear bumper covers go for about a 1000.00 installed up here and thats just the plastic. Whats under the plastic can get expensive. I am also surprised its driveable if your exhaust system got permanently pushed out of place. If it is broken underneath the car then that is a reason to not drive it right there.

On a car that new you might want to insist on all new parts and no filler if there is sheet metal damage.

I had a collision - fender bender - I was hit from behind

Collision caused cracked bumper covers on both parts - luckily nothing else - internal structure fine including no damage to reversing sensors. Just to replace the covers cost insurance $1600 Cdn.

On my insurance policy - I have a depreciation waiver - so I got all new parts and it had done at a Ford dealership that has a body shop.

It drove fine afterward - but I would have it checked out - you have a brand new vehicle and I would not hesitate.

Edited by Edgy Girl

Edgy Girl, the work on your rear bumper cost 1600 Cdn?

that seems a little steep but the back up sensors might be skewing the price a bit. Our Honda van was between 850 & 1000 out the door for the whole rear bumper cover (remove/paint new OEM part to match/reinstall). Japanese cars are not noted for their cheap replacement parts so your 1600 seems high.

That was State Farm's estimate and the dealership met it. Parts alone were $711 cdn for upper cover, $304 for lower cover - the rest of the bill is labour and paint. (taken straight from estimate).

The actual cut into the bumper covers was maybe 2 inches cutting both pieces. No other internal damage.

Even on the police accident report - they estimated $1500.

Brand new bumper covers - painting the top half - approx 1.5 days work.

Dealership did all the prep ahead of time and only took my Edge for half day.

Thanks all for the tips and suggestions. I ended up not driving it and things turned out okay, car should be ready by Tuesday. The weird suspension/shock issues I noticed were apparently caused by the right muffler being shoved under and into the shocks.

They (Progressive) are having to replace the rear bumper, some sort of rear bracing thing and the mounting for the front license plate. All totaling roughly $3,100 US. Thank god for insurance! It also looks like the cops found the guy behind me at fault and his insurance will take care of my deductable and everything.

I have to say I am very impressed with how the Edge handled everything (compared to the other guys car) and how well Progressive is doing as an insurance company.