Class II Two Package and Hands Free Liftgate

alzakx

Hello,

This got me thinking. If you get Hands Free Lifgate, wouldn't the OEM Class II Tow Package interfere with it?

I mean, when you kick below the rear bumper to open the liftgate, having the Tow Package sticking out there will make you hit it with your leg doesn't it?

Sorry for the noob question.

Thanks.

This is a picture of the hitch from Ford.com

EXTPKGDTL_136B520A-7B24-D442-5BCD-7D7E5B

I have 2015 Edge Titanium with hitch. I can 'kick' on either the right or left side of the receiver and the lift gate will open/close. No visible sensors. I read there is a sensor on the bumper for our shin to trigger and also a sensor underneath for our toe, so both need to be activated. (A safety so we don't trigger the hatch to open just by walking past it.)

Unless my hands are full with stuff, it's just as easy to open/close the lift gate with the button on the inside and outside of the lift gate.

Nice picture you shared from Ford of the electrical pin/plug in. Some else had asked about that.

I talked to the electronics technician at my dealership today. He gave me the wiring schematics for the hands free system (attached). He also mentioned that the sensor itself is located a few inches right of center. I suspect though that there could be a different set of schematics when a hitch is factory installed (he had no practical experience with a 2015 Edge, although he had with the 2014's).

He was a bit skeptic about the hands free with a hitch. He thinks there is so much metal on that hitch that it would cause serious interference. I think Ford wouldn't produce a hand free tailgate with a factory installed hitch if it didn't work.

All this to say that it's still hit & miss for me with the kicking thing.. I'll have the technician investigate.

2015 Edge - Hands free tailgate schematic.pdf

Did some more experimenting with the hands free tailgate. I also had access to another Titanium with the factory hitch. Here are my conclusions after testing the 2 vehicles.

Doing the kicking thing on the left side of the hitch works 100% of the time. Trying this on the right side of the hitch works 1 out of 5 attempts, even 1 out of 10.

I sure would appreciate other Titanium owners with the factory hitch to confirm or contradict this behavior (left vs right) on their vehicle.

It's great that the left side works, but I may still have a defect or weakness on the right side.

Did some more experimenting with the hands free tailgate. I also had access to another Titanium with the factory hitch. Here are my conclusions after testing the 2 vehicles.

Doing the kicking thing on the left side of the hitch works 100% of the time. Trying this on the right side of the hitch works 1 out of 5 attempts, even 1 out of 10.

I sure would appreciate other Titanium owners with the factory hitch to confirm or contradict this behavior (left vs right) on their vehicle.

It's great that the left side works, but I may still have a defect or weakness on the right side.

Bump... Any Titanium owners with the factory hitch to confirm or contradict this behavior (left vs right) ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have a 2015 Titanium and didn't get the ford factory hitch - but had ford install a Class III aftermarket hitch for me (included in the negotiation of the sale of the car).

The hitch that was installed was the 13224 Curt Class 3 Trailer Hitch Receiver

The aftermarket hitch sits below the bumper and doesn't require you to cut into it. I can confirm that the hands free liftgate works flawlessly with the aftermarket hitch. I located the liftgate sensor, it is dead center underneath the bumper - just on top of the hitch receiver. (You can see the cutout in the second picture.) Kicking to the left or the right of the sensor triggers the liftgate to open.

Cheers,

Conrad

post-35586-0-06509100-1433420067_thumb.jpg

post-35586-0-90484000-1433420347_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

According to the factory brochure, there is no factory trailer hitch option for the Edge Sport. Any reason why the aftermarket hitch mentioned above (13224 Curt Class 3) would not work on an Edge Sport?

Go to Curt's site and you can find the hitch for the Edge Sport.

I just checked the Curt site and it says "All Except Sport" for a hitch. Maybe they changed it recently?

The etrailer.com website says it will work on the sport.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Edge/2015/C13224.html?vehicleid=201533607

And if you look at the Q/A section it says:

The Curt Hitch part # C13224 has been confirmed as a fit for the Sport and non-Sport models of the 2015 Ford Edge so it would work well for you.

I think the question isn't if the Curt hitch fits the Sport, but "Why does Ford not want a Sport to tow?" There's obviously a reason why the vehicle with the most HP didn't come with a towing package.

Showing up at your dealer with a receiver installed on a Sport could void your warrantee.

I think the question isn't if the Curt hitch fits the Sport, but "Why does Ford not want a Sport to tow?" There's obviously a reason why the vehicle with the most HP didn't come with a towing package.

Showing up at your dealer with a receiver installed on a Sport could void your warrantee.

As per Ford's website, the Edge Sport can tow up to 2000 lbs in standard. You cannot get the optional tow package which would increase capacity to 3500 lbs. Why is it not available on the Sport? Probably a marketing strategy! The '11-14' Edge Sport also did not offer the Tow Package, but that was probably due to the 22" wheels. Note that also the base Edge (SE) does not offer the Tow Package.

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/edge/specifications/towing/

I still can't find a good reason why there is no Tow Package for the Sport. It has more HP and Torque than the 2.0 EB.

Same here. The only thing different is the rear valance. Unless it has something to do with "Sport" mode. Or does the Titanium / SEL have that too?

• Like 1