Seat Filter for Cooled Seats - Design Changed!

Yesterday I purchased a replacement filter for the cooled seat & was surprised that it is no longer a filter! It is just a plastic piece with holes in it (assuming to protect from larger items to enter).

Searching online, I found it was indeed a Motorcraft/Ford design change, but couldn't find any technical reasons for it.
http://www.f150forum.com/f38/oem-seat-filters-missing-element-288462/

You can see the Old vs. New pictures attached.

Front:
post-24673-0-86371000-1432626946_thumb.jpg

Back:
post-24673-0-92788400-1432626967_thumb.jpg

Reading in several 2015 Ford Owners Manuals such as the 2015 Edge's, it seems they are "Lifetime Filters"!

Climate controlled seat air filter replacement
Your vehicle is equipped with lifetime air filters that are integrated with the seats. Regular maintenance or replacement is not needed.

Anyone know of an official reason for the change or inside info? I am no Expert, but looking at how older cars never had Cabin Air Filters & with their climate control systems working for many years without problems, I wouldn't expect any problems from these "replacements". Also, note that the replacement "part" is made out of sturdy plastic that is hard to bend, while the old filter was very flimsy & just had "nylon net" holding the filter element. Theoretically, I think the older design could have allowed damage to the fan (which is just behind the filter) if someone were to "stuff" something under the seat.

The only reason for the filter at all would only be to protect the fan, there's no "purification" of air going on since the air coming in ends up in the same place as the air going out anyway. So my guess would be Ford decided that the new filter is "good enough" to protect the fan and it is probably cheaper, doesn't need to be changed and probably even provides better airflow meaning faster heat up/cool down times. In fact it make me want to go out and get a couple of the new ones for my MKT since it always takes forever for the seats to heat up in the winter.

• 2 years later...

Call me dense, but where are these seat filters located? I have a 16 Titanium with the a/c seats. Was not aware of a filter. I have looked but cannot find. Thanks.

Its a round part about 3" in diameter. It's located under the seat, slightly forward of center. Somewhat difficult to get off, they just press on. The old ones (like on my MKX) have a thin filter element, the new one just have a plastic grill.

Ā 

I doubt the you will see any difference between the two. The filter material is very thin and offers little obstruction to air flow.

Ā 

I've used both and the filter type offers a slight advantage as it filters dust/dirt from entering the fan motor. But in all honesty there's very little dirt under the seat to get sucked up anyway. I suppose it may have a slight advantage when considered over several years.

• 2 months later...