Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Seat Filter for Cooled Seats - Design Changed!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   omar302

omar302

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 1,910 posts
  • Region:Middle East
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:06 AM

Yesterday I purchased a replacement filter for the cooled seat & was surprised that it is no longer a filter! It is just a plastic piece with holes in it (assuming to protect from larger items to enter).

Searching online, I found it was indeed a Motorcraft/Ford design change, but couldn't find any technical reasons for it.
http://www.f150forum...element-288462/

You can see the Old vs. New pictures attached.

Front:
Attached File  IMAG1653.jpg   80.99KB   3 downloads

Back:
Attached File  IMAG1654.jpg   100.39KB   0 downloads

Reading in several 2015 Ford Owners Manuals such as the 2015 Edge's, it seems they are "Lifetime Filters"!

Climate controlled seat air filter replacement
Your vehicle is equipped with lifetime air filters that are integrated with the seats. Regular maintenance or replacement is not needed.

Anyone know of an official reason for the change or inside info? I am no Expert, but looking at how older cars never had Cabin Air Filters & with their climate control systems working for many years without problems, I wouldn't expect any problems from these "replacements". Also, note that the replacement "part" is made out of sturdy plastic that is hard to bend, while the old filter was very flimsy & just had "nylon net" holding the filter element. Theoretically, I think the older design could have allowed damage to the fan (which is just behind the filter) if someone were to "stuff" something under the seat.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,865 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:14 AM

Probably cheaper to manufacture (1 piece instead of 3 piece)?  Doesn't seem like they are a filter so much as a screen.  There might be a run on the older design filters on EBay!

#3 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:37 AM

The only reason for the filter at all would only be to protect the fan, there's no "purification" of air going on since the air coming in ends up in the same place as the air going out anyway.  So my guess would be Ford decided that the new filter is "good enough" to protect the fan and it is probably cheaper, doesn't need to be changed and probably even provides better airflow meaning faster heat up/cool down times.  In fact it make me want to go out and get a couple of the new ones for my MKT since it always takes forever for the seats to heat up in the winter.

#4 OFFLINE   omar302

omar302

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 1,910 posts
  • Region:Middle East

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:46 AM

Actually, comparing the 2, the new one feels more expensive except for the missing filter element (which does feel very cheap anyway).

#5 OFFLINE   RetiredgE

RetiredgE

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 22 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:40 PM

Call me dense, but where are these seat filters located? I have a 16 Titanium with the a/c seats. Was not aware of a filter. I have looked but cannot find. Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,699 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

The new ones may not have replaceable filters.

#7 OFFLINE   roots57

roots57

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 382 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:10 PM

That new style screen should have much better air flow.  I'm going to look at mine and see if they are filters or screens because one day I will replace them with the new screen style one to get better cooling hopefully.

#8 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 3,085 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

Call me dense, but where are these seat filters located? I have a 16 Titanium with the a/c seats. Was not aware of a filter. I have looked but cannot find. Thanks.

Its a round part about 3" in diameter. It's located under the seat, slightly forward of center. Somewhat difficult to get off, they just press on. The old ones (like on my MKX) have a thin filter element, the new one just have a plastic grill.

I doubt the you will see any difference between the two. The filter material is very thin and offers little obstruction to air flow.

I've used both and the filter type offers a slight advantage as it filters dust/dirt from entering the fan motor. But in all honesty there's very little dirt under the seat to get sucked up anyway. I suppose it may have a slight advantage when considered over several years.

#9 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 3,085 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

Yesterday I purchased a replacement filter for the cooled seat & was surprised that it is no longer a filter! It is just a plastic piece with holes in it (assuming to protect from larger items to enter).

Both are still available. The FS-104 has a filter, the FS-106 has the guard. Either will work.

#10 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,865 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:34 AM

just be prepared to find that neither has a filter anymore.  has happened to quite a few people already.  in case you would want to return, make sure there is a good return policy BEFORE you buy.

#11 OFFLINE   jasoneg

jasoneg

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 35 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Edge's Year:2008

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:58 AM

They removed the filter due to poor air flow.  People were complaining that the a/c seats didn't have enough air coming out of them.  At least that's Fords official response....

• omar302 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users