Towing / Luggage Rack questions

Hello all, new here, and I have come to find out more about the 2015 Edge. I find myself looking to replace my aging Chevy Blazer and the Edge might just fit my current needs in a vehicle. I just test drove a SE and found it to be a very comfortable quiet ride. In the process of doing a little home work on this new Edge I have a couple of questions for anyone who might be able to answer them.

The first is that I plan to tow a small bass boat (+- 3000 lbs.) and wondered how the V-6, and the vehicle in general handles towing applications when equipped with the tow package?

Next is the question is about roof rails and the cross bars for those roof rails. I see that I can get the roof rails as an option, but the cross bars that would go with them are an astounding $539 additional cost item. I am thinking they must be an overpriced Thule add on, but I can't determine that. They seem to have a Ford part no. VFT4Z-7855100-A, but I can't believe that there isn't a standard Ford part (like on the Escape / Explorer) that will do the same job @ one 1/4 of the cost. Does anyone have experience with this item? Thanks!

I dont know exactly what the cross rails with that part # include. But be aware that the roof rails can not be added on after it leaves the factory. So make sure you get that option. Then I'd go to Thule directly for the cross rails since im pretty sure they are the supplier for the cross rails. It looks like the square bars would be around $400, the aeroblade $475 or the Aeroblade edge for $514 (which looks stock).

But remember you must get the roof rails from the factory. Dont let a dealer tell you they can be added after the fact like they could with previous years. They can't.

WingNut - Can you have the roof rails added onto s Sport with the full glass roof? I have a 2013 Explorer Sport with the rails and am looking to get either a 2015 or 2016 Edge Sport, but want to be able to still throw the Thule on top of it. I have read through a lot of the forums and i see where some people talk about putting an after market rail system on, but I would prefer it to come from the factory with them vs. something after market.

Thanks!

Eric. I am pretty sure the rails are not available from the factory if you have the glass roof. They won't let you build it that way on the Ford site.

Thule right now does not have an option for the 2015 with a naked or glass roof.

I put a Yakima system on mine (no rails) which may work fine with the glass roof.

vdOvSjAl.jpg

Edited by WingNut

WN; Please take a close up picture of how that rack attaches to the car. It looks like it fits between the body and the rubber seal around the windows. Is that right, and if so, does that degrade the sealing capability of those window seals? In other words: How has it done in all the rain we have had in the last couple of days? Thanks!

WN; Please take a close up picture of how that rack attaches to the car. It looks like it fits between the body and the rubber seal around the windows. Is that right, and if so, does that degrade the sealing capability of those window seals? In other words: How has it done in all the rain we have had in the last couple of days? Thanks!

You are correct it does mount between the rubber seal and the body of the vehicle. It doesn't degrade the sealing at all. The clip is pretty thin and that seal is pretty big. After installing we had a few days of heavy rain with no issue.

pnoY9QRl.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks!

No problem.

Used it this past weekend to haul a canoe. Worked great. And it came off in 2 minutes. I marked inside the door jams where that clip goes with some white electrical tape so I can easily install it without having to re-measure a bunch of times. So it should take 10 minutes max to have it back on and ready.

6284yxN.jpg?1

Does the part that latches on to the body is metal? I'm thinking it might damage the paint.

Yes it is metal. But they include a black, thick, vinyl / sticker material to put over the metal. So there is no direct metal on paint contact. Just make sure the area within the door jam is clean and also the clip is clean prior to installation.

I am VERY picky about my paint but I'm very satisfied with this rack. The rubber feet that make contact with the roof does not mar the paint (as long as the paint is clean and feet are clean prior to installation.

I take this on and off as I need it. If I was leaving in installed full time, I would probably put a few strips of that clear paint shield stuff where the clips / rubber feet make contact with the paint. Just to be extra safe.

• 1 month later...

WN; I forgot to ask...Can you open the back hatch with the canoe on top? Your picture makes me think no.

Nope. I usually lay the seats flat in the back when I"m going canoeing. Or at least one in case I forget to put something in the back before I load the canoe. But when it is on top, it can only lift a few inches before the canoe will get in the way of the tailgate.

• 1 month later...

...Next is the question is about roof rails and the cross bars for those roof rails. I see that I can get the roof rails as an option, but the cross bars that would go with them are an astounding $539 additional cost item. I am thinking they must be an overpriced Thule add on, but I can't determine that. They seem to have a Ford part no. VFT4Z-7855100-A, but I can't believe that there isn't a standard Ford part (like on the Escape / Explorer) that will do the same job @ one 1/4 of the cost. Does anyone have experience with this item? Thanks!

I hate to quote myself, but has anyone purchased their Edge with roof rails and then gone on and bought the cross bars from the Ford Accessory catalog? The total price for rails and the cross bars with the VFT4Z suffix not including labor (not sure what it takes to add cross bars) is over $700. which is insane. :doh: If you went aftermarket like Wing Nut please indicate what you bought and its cost. Thanks!

Thanks! I called my local dealer and found out that there is another cross bar kit that will fit the Edge and it is much less than the other kit. If you have the roof rails on your Edge then all you need is Cross bar kit p/n 7T4Z7855100-BA listed @ $135. from Ford, but is available from an Amazon Ford dealer for a bit less. This is the way to go if all you need cross bars. I still need to get the weight capacity of these, but expect they will work fine for my 70 lb. canoe.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BOA9BXC/ref=dra_a_rv_ff_fx_it_P2000_1000?tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=f0e8c00c7c2785d7d8fdddd43e3a581c_S&dra_hfr=x&dra_ohs=24-24

Edited by Chipster

• 1 month later...

My setup is the Yakima Q Towers. $270 for everything. If you price it on Yakima's site, it is closer to $300. But it gave me a list of all the parts, so I just grabbed them off Amazon for cheaper

WingNut: Can you list out the needed part numbers for the Q tower system you purchased? By the way, did you buy the optional locks for it? I am thinking they might be a worthwhile investment.

Q Towers: Yakima Q Towers for Yakima Roof Rack System (Set of 4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012SFK8G/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_1e9iwbFV93BBP

Yakima Q-131 Clip for Yakima Q Tower Roof Rack System: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012SHJ0S/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_4f9iwbWWD4ZRB

Yakima Q-64 Clip for Yakima Q Tower Roof Rack System:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012SHJU8/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_Wg9iwbN1KEVHT

58" Yakima Roof Rack Round Crossbars: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012SFNEW/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_2h9iwb9C854FF

Check Yakimas website to find out which clips are for front or back. Also grab the install instructions.

I didn't get the locks but suggest you do.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just contacted Yakima and they will have a new "streamline system" that will fit our 2015-2016 Edge and should reduce the wind noise of the round bar Q-system. It is so new that it is not up on their website (in detail) yet, but I was told today it should be up in the next week or so. I was also told that it was a bit more expensive than the Q-system but not by a lot. The customer service rep. said that the towers are a little shorter than the Q-towers, but are tall enough for a Yak or canoe to clear the shark fin antennae on our vehicle. This is a brief overview from their Spring 2016 catalog.

http://yakima.epaperflip.com/v/Spring-Summer-2016/#?page=4