Owners of 2.0l turbos speak to me.......

macbwt

This is for folks who own and drive a Ford Edge with a 2.0L turbo. The 2008 Ford Edge I lovingly call the Orange Crush is nearing a life of service most likely somewhere after 300,000 miles. I am wanting information on how the engine is holding up and using your input to decide if I should stay with the trusty 3.5L duratec or jump into the 2.0L turbo. your input is appreciated.

I did some simple math and the 2.0l are running a premium of about 4k more than the 3.5L in pricing. Based on my fuel consumption it would take about 3.5 years to break even on the fuel savings then figure in the additional interest on the loan for the privilege along with higher registration fee due to the higher selling price I would be most likely having to drive the 2.0L at least 4 plus years just to break even on the extra costs vice just staying with the 3.5 Liter. I am referencing the SE models and not even getting into the AWD or Limiteds.

I am about to hit 74,000 miles with my 2012, 2.0 liter Ecoboost Edge SEL. I've never had reason to regret purchasing it over the larger engine. At the time of purchase the 2.0 liter engine was a roughly $1,000 premium over the 3.5 and that made me balk. Then I test drove the vehicle and was impressed with what I felt was much better low end pick-up over the larger engine. Are you saying there is now a $4,000 increase in price for purchasing the 2.0 with the exact same package as the 3.5 liter engine? If so, I don't think it's worth it for that difference and I'd go for the 3.5

I did a general match up on CARS.COM and looked at same model years and levels and the pricing for the 2.0 premium was averaging about 4k. The dealers are sure trying to rake in the cash by over pricing them used. I do admit the 2.0l has a lot more torque on the lower end to get up and go though. That being said if it is a financial issue then the payback for higher pricing does not make sense. The only thing for me is the pricing since I do not pay for the gas. Once all the Edges are turbos then the price will drop as it is no longer a special engine.

Mine as 42,000 on it now and I have loved it. Most issues I have had have not been engine related (vista roof, rattling seats, transmission linkage loose, and a bad fuel pump) I think the fuel pump was a bad batch of gas. I may have a brake booster issue but I love my 2012. Good power and pickup. The torque is pretty darn great. Gas mileage is not what I would consider night and day difference from what I assume 3.5 Liter has but I feel good about 23-24 averages when my old Monte Carlo only averaged 22-23 and this car is much bigger.

Thanks for the info. Some of the issues seem to be the same thing that has already caused issues in the past with even the 3.5L To me sun roof is just another term for LEAK. Not a real fan of sunroofs. Engine wise you are not having any oil issues or ingnition etc. pretty solid so far? I would most likely pass you on the mileage in one year if I get a 2.0L edge.

Mine as 42,000 on it now and I have loved it. Most issues I have had have not been engine related (vista roof, rattling seats, transmission linkage loose, and a bad fuel pump) I think the fuel pump was a bad batch of gas. I may have a brake booster issue but I love my 2012. Good power and pickup. The torque is pretty darn great. Gas mileage is not what I would consider night and day difference from what I assume 3.5 Liter has but I feel good about 23-24 averages when my old Monte Carlo only averaged 22-23 and this car is much bigger.

I did a general match up on CARS.COM and looked at same model years and levels and the pricing for the 2.0 premium was averaging about 4k. The dealers are sure trying to rake in the cash by over pricing them used.

If you're saying that the $4,000 increase in sales price is for a used 2.0L Edge, that's actually good news for a current owner like me. It means that paying the $1,000 increase in price for it new has had a benefit other than just an increase in MPG. Speaking of MPG, I tracked mine for every single fill-up until I reached 63,000 miles and tired of that. My total life average MPG was 25.9 It would have been a bit higher if I hadn't been carrying a canoe on my roof for some long highway trips. It would also have been higher if my wife and daughter hadn't been driving it a bit. They both enjoyed using the Turbo for jack-rabbit starts and that really dragged the fuel efficiency down.

• Like 1

The price premium is sure to disappear now as the 2.0L is the standard engine and the 3.5 is the extra.

If you're saying that the $4,000 increase in sales price is for a used 2.0L Edge, that's actually good news for a current owner like me. It means that paying the $1,000 increase in price for it new has had a benefit other than just an increase in MPG. Speaking of MPG, I tracked mine for every single fill-up until I reached 63,000 miles and tired of that. My total life average MPG was 25.9 It would have been a bit higher if I hadn't been carrying a canoe on my roof for some long highway trips. It would also have been higher if my wife and daughter hadn't been driving it a bit. They both enjoyed using the Turbo for jack-rabbit starts and that really dragged the fuel efficiency down.

You are spot on with your view. The mileage difference does not justify the money. I am sticking with the 3.5 and have decided to buy a 2011 as that was the last year before the ECOBOOST and the first year of the plastic fuel tanks, both are pluses in my mind.

Mac, since you do so many highway miles would the 2.0 make much difference in fuel economy?

My 2011 3.5 sucks back the gas in all the stop and go I do but on the highway I can get great economy (close to 30mpg), since I can do 120 km/h at 2000 rpm.

Mac, since you do so many highway miles would the 2.0 make much difference in fuel economy?

My 2011 3.5 sucks back the gas in all the stop and go I do but on the highway I can get great economy (close to 30mpg), since I can do 120 km/h at 2000 rpm.

If you look on Ford's website, the base price for a SEL is 31,500 for the std I-4, 31,925 for the v-6 and 32,995 for the 2.0 I-4 Ecoboost. That's only 1,500 more then the std engine.
I can't talk for durability, but I just purchased a 2015 Sport with the 2.7 V-6 Ecoboost. Sure runs good. we'll see how it lasts!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am 3000k into owning a 2.0L ecoboost. Was driving an older Kia with a 3.5 in it. So far, I'm extremely happy with the 2.0... lots of pep, and milage is excellent. That's my 2cents..

Yup, same here. Knocking on wood so far so good. Its been 4 months for me and about 4000K. All I have had to do was put gas in it. I would like to change the transmission fluid but looks like there is no dip stick with these cars so I'm forced to take it to Ford dealer and have them do it. They are extremely overpriced!

Yup, same here. Knocking on wood so far so good. Its been 4 months for me and about 4000K. All I have had to do was put gas in it. I would like to change the transmission fluid but looks like there is no dip stick with these cars so I'm forced to take it to Ford dealer and have them do it. They are extremely overpriced!

The maintenance schedule says 150 000 miles for transmission oil change. Why would you want to change after 4k instead of 150k?

Because there is no dipstick, you have to take it to a dealship? I'm missing the connection. You could take it to any reputable transmission place.

The dealer fluid swap uses a machine that uses the cooler lines to swap out 95% of the fluid in one shot, without opening the transmission. It's far superior to dropping the pan. And I think Ford uses a synthetic or synthetic blend transmission fluid which will add to the cost no matter where you take it. But you certainly don't have to take it to the dealer.

The maintenance schedule says 150 000 miles for transmission oil change. Why would you want to change after 4k instead of 150k?

I bought it used with 100,000 K on it so now it has about 105,000 K which is about what? 65,000 miles? but its interesting that you said no need to change it for 150,000 miles. I did not know that.

Cheers

Because there is no dipstick, you have to take it to a dealship? I'm missing the connection. You could take it to any reputable transmission place.

I took it to a small corner shop and when they couldnt find the dip stick they suggested to take it to a ford dealership and as the mod said they are better equipped. But yes I know I can go to a reputable transmission place. It seems like i wont have to worry about that anytime soon anyway.

• Like 1