Owners of 2.0l turbos speak to me.......

macbwt

The dealer fluid swap uses a machine that uses the cooler lines to swap out 95% of the fluid in one shot, without opening the transmission. It's far superior to dropping the pan. And I think Ford uses a synthetic or synthetic blend transmission fluid which will add to the cost no matter where you take it. But you certainly don't have to take it to the dealer.

I agree that the dealer would be the best place to have it machine flushed.

Dropping the pan works well if done at specific intervals say like every 30k miles or so like mentioned in these videos, the same as changing the oil in a car.

You really do not get all the old oil from the car in one drain, but over time the old oil is constantly being removed, therefore like with my Edge I would have done about three transmission drain and fills by 100k miles on my transmission since mine is just at 26k miles which hopefully means that my transmission will be pretty clean by 100k miles.

If a person is only going to change the transmission fluid every 100k miles than I would recommend a dealer only machine flush/fluid swap, but if a owner is willing to drain the transmission fluid from the pan every couple of years or so then it should work just fine if not better than a machine flush on a transmission that has old oil that has been in the transmission for 100k or more miles.

Edited by carguy75

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if the price disparity is regional? I bought our 2014 Limited EcoBoost in Minnesota, slightly used, and it was priced very similarly to comparable V6s but over $10k less than new. (Gotta love people who eat that initial depreciation.)

When we travel, I'm usually 4-5mph over the posted limit, figuring there will be faster drivers to garner unwanted attention. Mileage has varied with terrain. Flat, like Iowa and Nebraska, I saw 31-33.5 mpg. Through Kentucky and Tennessee, almost always up or down hill, I was typically about 26-27.5 mpg. In typical "suburban-type" driving, I am somewhat disappointed with 17.5-19 mpg.

I will say the power output is very good; actually rather astounding from a 2.0 liter in a 4400# vehicle. However, with the power comes a lot of torque steer under heavy acceleration, and a lot of chirping of the tires from a stop, even though I am not stomping on it and supposedly have traction control as part of the AdvanceTrac. I am a bit concerned as to how well this will work in a Minnesota winter, but will know more in a few months. Also, somewhat on this topic, and maybe contradictory, you will want to "get your foot into it" once a while to help prevent carbon buildup on the exhaust valves. This seems to be an issue with all manufacturers' direct-injection, turbocharged engines, including BMW. I use full-synthetic oil, also, just for over-all peace of mind, and have experienced using 1/2 quart of oil between 5000 mile oil changes.

As you would expect, the comfort and quietness is excellent. It looks and drives like a more expensive vehicle than it is. I would buy this again, unless my wife would get over her prejudice and let me buy the BMW X5 diesel I really want.

• Like 1

A couple of quick things, jon:

1) the carbon buildup in EB engines is on the back of the intake valves, which normally would be cleaned regularly in a port injected engine by fuel "washing" over them prior to entering the combustion chamber.

2) if you are using 1/2 quart in 5,000 miles, that is too much at your vehicle's mileage. There is likely too much blowby in the PCV system, ending up as pools in the intake tubing OR in the intercooler (CAC). If there is too much blowby, you would want to report it to Ford, so they can see if they need to redesign the valve cover like they did for the 3.5EB. Also make sure you don't see any leaks from the seals on the turbo oil feed line. They have been known to leak on the 3.5EB, hope the 2.0 is different. Many high mileage EBs are running without using a drop of oil in 5-10K OC intervals. Yes, full synthetic AND synblend.

For all EB (and non-EB) users, if you are interested in improving performance AND mileage, look into a line of products called ACES IV. We have recently started looking into their claims, but they are well established in the Dodge performance world. Brian @ BND Automotive, if you want to talk to him directly, he'd love it :)

I did some simple math and the 2.0l are running a premium of about 4k more than the 3.5L in pricing. Based on my fuel consumption it would take about 3.5 years to break even on the fuel savings then figure in the additional interest on the loan for the privilege along with higher registration fee due to the higher selling price I would be most likely having to drive the 2.0L at least 4 plus years just to break even on the extra costs vice just staying with the 3.5 Liter. I am referencing the SE models and not even getting into the AWD or Limiteds.

Not sure where you found that the 2.0 had a $4K premium. I checked both the Ford Canada and Ford U.S. web sites and the 2.0 is $400-$500 less expensive than the 3.5 for the 2015 model. I just ordered a 2015 Titanium with the 2.0. This will be my 3rd Edge. Ford is obviously pushing the eco-boost but strange thing- I checked Ford dealers around both Canada and the U.S. and about 80% of the new Edges on their lots have the 3.5. Not sure if the dealers are really on board with the 2.0.

• 2 months later...

Any new thoughts about 2.0 ownership? Are there any issues showing up recently? I seem to recall that a few early owners of 2015's were having issues with the pressurized air supply hose becoming blown off due to poor clamping issues. I am not certain if this was a wide spread issue or not?

I own a 2015 Edge with the 2.0L EcoBoost. The car only has 2800 miles on it, so I can't speak to the longevity of the engine, but I can speak about drive-ability. My current car is in the shop, and I am driving a 2015 loaner with the 3.5L NA engine.

In my opinion, the 2.0 is much better suited to this vehicle than the 3.5L. The 2.0 has much more torque, and that torque is available at a much lower RPM than the 3.5. The 3.5 downshifts at the tiniest touch of the throttle, and it hunts around for the correct gear when going up and down rolling hills on the freeway. We also own an older Explorer with the SOHC V6, and that vehicle drives the same way. IMO, that engine is mismatched in that vehicle also. Neither V6 is a bad engine - they just aren't made for hauling a heavy SUV around. They make good power - just not where you really need it.

The 2.0 drives more like a torquey V8 that an inline 4. If you haven't driven one, you should do so before pulling the trigger. The driving experience is much more enjoyable with the 2.0. You'll thank me for it.

I own a 2015 Edge with the 2.0L EcoBoost. The car only has 2800 miles on it, so I can't speak to the longevity of the engine, but I can speak about drive-ability. My current car is in the shop, and I am driving a 2015 loaner with the 3.5L NA engine.

In my opinion, the 2.0 is much better suited to this vehicle than the 3.5L. The 2.0 has much more torque, and that torque is available at a much lower RPM than the 3.5. The 3.5 downshifts at the tiniest touch of the throttle, and it hunts around for the correct gear when going up and down rolling hills on the freeway. We also own an older Explorer with the SOHC V6, and that vehicle drives the same way. IMO, that engine is mismatched in that vehicle also. Neither V6 is a bad engine - they just aren't made for hauling a heavy SUV around. They make good power - just not where you really need it.

The 2.0 drives more like a torquey V8 that an inline 4. If you haven't driven one, you should do so before pulling the trigger. The driving experience is much more enjoyable with the 2.0. You'll thank me for it.

sm; Thanks for your review! I want to hear some longer term reviews to see how this engine holds up before I decide. Since I will not be ordering mine until late winter, I've got some time to see how owners feel with the passage of time and mileage. Be sure to come back to this thread and update your thoughts as you put on mileage. By the way, why is your's in the shop?

sm; Thanks for your review! I want to hear some longer term reviews to see how this engine holds up before I decide. Since I will not be ordering mine until late winter, I've got some time to see how owners feel with the passage of time and mileage. Be sure to come back to this thread and update your thoughts as you put on mileage. By the way, why is your's in the shop?

My Edge was in the shop to correct 15B21. Check out my post at

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/18110-water-leak-help/page-13

for the story.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought my 3rd Edge- 2015 Titanium with the 2.0 ecoboost. My previous Edges were '08 & '11 with the 3.5 liter. I only have about 1,000 km (600 miles) on my new Edge so can't really give much detail on its performance but I am pleased with its low end torque and fuel consumption. I do want to comment, however, on some of the threads in this discussion regarding the cost of the 2.0 ecoboost. Some have indicated that there is a premium for this engine but that is not the case, at least not in 2015. For all models (except the Sport) the 2.0 ecoboost is the standard engine (both in the U.S. and Canada) and a premium of $400 to $500 is charged for the 3.5 liter.

I just bought my 3rd Edge- 2015 Titanium with the 2.0 ecoboost. My previous Edges were '08 & '11 with the 3.5 liter. I only have about 1,000 km (600 miles) on my new Edge so can't really give much detail on its performance but I am pleased with its low end torque and fuel consumption. I do want to comment, however, on some of the threads in this discussion regarding the cost of the 2.0 ecoboost. Some have indicated that there is a premium for this engine but that is not the case, at least not in 2015. For all models (except the Sport) the 2.0 ecoboost is the standard engine (both in the U.S. and Canada) and a premium of $400 to $500 is charged for the 3.5 liter.

That only started with the 2015 model. Prior to that the 3.5L was standard and the 2.0L EB was an upcharge.

That only started with the 2015 model. Prior to that the 3.5L was standard and the 2.0L EB was an upcharge.

I believe you are correct regarding the timing of Ford making the 2.0 EB standard. I noted that some of the comments in this thread that indicated a significant premium for the 2.0 were dated well into 2015.