I was about to pull the trigger on these, but then I noticed they make a 50w, 60w, and 80w. Think I should get a higher powered version? Any thoughts from those that have installed the 50w?

I have hid's so they will only be drl's

• 2 weeks later...

I was about to pull the trigger on these, but then I noticed they make a 50w, 60w, and 80w. Think I should get a higher powered version? Any thoughts from those that have installed the 50w?

I have hid's so they will only be drl's

I have the same ones as the OP, and I"m guessing that the higher wattage won't make that much difference. These really aren't designed to do anything other than be more visible to other drivers. If they don't see you with 50W bulbs I'm not sure they'd see you with others. Just my two cents.

What am I missing here. Have a non HID equipped Sport and went to install new DRL bulbs from the OP and they are not compatible. They are 9005 bulbs, not H15's.

OP has factory equipped HID lights. So it's not the same setup as yours.

Edit: Just noticed in your photos, you shouldn't touch the glass part of halogen bulbs as the oil from your hand could cause the bulb to break the next time the headlamps are operated.

Edited by omar302

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I went the same route except through a Chinese seller on eBay so my stuff is still in transit. I went with what they labeled a 100w product as the one on amazon is just 50w which I thought would be too dim.

Will post photos once I get them, bought 2 sets. One cost me $14 and one $24, curious if they are the same brightness...

Thanks for the photos OP!

• 11 months later...

I bit the bullet and bought the same ones op purchased. I'm very happy. I also put these in the license plate lights. So much better!!

http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/127996000KB2/visionled-led-car-lamp

How easy was it to replace the plate lights? I just got my 2017 and I'm afraid of breaking the plastic housing. Didn't see any obvious clip to push in with a screw driver as indicated in the owners manual.

I went the same route except through a Chinese seller on eBay so my stuff is still in transit. I went with what they labeled a 100w product as the one on amazon is just 50w which I thought would be too dim.

Will post photos once I get them, bought 2 sets. One cost me $14 and one $24, curious if they are the same brightness...

Thanks for the photos OP!

Once you stick thsee in keep an eye on your housings. I read in another forum where 100w started to burn the housings and connectors. (100 watts is a lot more heat in a small contained space like a housing).

• 2 weeks later...

no, your only problem will be less focused light than halogen and blinding oncoming traffic

But the LED is 80W halogen equivalent, it only uses 16W power, then that's not a problem?

Think he's just talking about the hid equipped edge DRL upgrade, so no concern of blinding traffic.

If you go up to a true 80W fan/fin cooled LED for the h15 then yeah you'll be blinding everyone and be burning up wiring

• Like 1

If you go up to a true 80W fan/fin cooled LED for the h15 then yeah you'll be blinding everyone and be burning up wiring

There is no such thing as a "true 80W" LED bulb. They are talking about "80W equivalent" meaning the light output is similar to that of an 80W incandescent bulb. The incandescent bulb would actually draw 80 watts but an 80W equivalent bulb would draw between 10 and 16 watts depending on the generation of LEDs used. 10 to 16 watts is not going to be a problem for the factory wiring.

A halogen H15 is a dual filament 15 / 55 watt bulb producing 260 / 1350 lumens. The output of so-called 80W LED bulbs range from 800 lumens (older LEDs) through 1200 lumens (current inexpensive LEDs) to about 3200 lumens using CREE's latest LEDs (which are quite expensive).

Referring to these types:

https://www.amazon.ca/Car-Rover-Headlight-Arc-Beam-Conversion/dp/B01I3GKI0O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486401934&sr=8-1&keywords=d3s+led

https://www.amazon.ca/NEVERLAND-Headlight-Conversion-Driving-9600LM/dp/B01EUY2Y0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486401743&sr=8-1&keywords=h15+led+90+w

They definitely draw close to their rated wattage, but yeah nothing over factor wattage. They also dont have 9600lm just purely sales pitch.

Edited by Beezz