Transmission bang!

haernt

HAve you guys notices a sudden jerk that feels like someone has tapped your bumber while hitting the accelerator after drifting at around 30 km/H?

It's really unsettling - I have felt it 4 or 5 times and it feels like someone has hit the car (or CUV!!)

There seems to be many posts floating around that this is normal for this transmission...It pretty much happens when you are lighly on the gas, cruising around at low speeds. Almost like the tranny is unsure of what to do.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

HAve you guys notices a sudden jerk that feels like someone has tapped your bumber while hitting the accelerator after drifting at around 30 km/H?

It's really unsettling - I have felt it 4 or 5 times and it feels like someone has hit the car (or CUV!!)

Ford does have a TSB for this problem, it was performed on my 2011 Edge. My wife and I both experienced this about 8 months ago, the dealer did some software updates, and it was fine until last week, when it happened again. This time the dealer dropped the pan and replaced parts in the tranny. My wife drives ithis car every day and says it now drives more smoothly than before. Don't havoe the invoice, but will post the specific info when possible.

• 11 months later...

Similar thing happened on my 2012. Checked the tranny fluid and it wasn't even on the dipstick. The local Autozone didn't carry the correct ATF so I called the parts department at dealer I bought it from. I told him I had just brought it in for a complimentary oill change 2 weeks prior, so he patched me over to Service. To make a long story shorter, 2 lines from the tranny to the transmission cooler were leaking under pressure and spraying onto the engine block, hence no fluid on the driveway. They were great about replacing both lines and got me a rental car until it was complete.

I just got my Sport back from the dealer this afternoon for this very problem. The dealer replaced some transmission part and replaced all the fluid. it's under a TSB but I don't have it with me. they also reprogrammed my for touch and installed a new nav card. take it in to your dealer and have it done before it does damage to the rest of the trans. requiring more invasive repair.

Transmission Bang

Last night while traveling up a mild grade at around thirty miles an hours with five people in my 2010 FWD Ford Edge there was a loud bang and a big jolt it felt like I ran over a speed bump. It was like it shifted into park for a second. There was nothing in the road so I kept on going an few seconds later after a slight acceleration up another hill the same thing happened; a loud bank and a severe jolt.

I do not know what it was. Has anyone experienced the same thing?

I believe it is TSB-11-5-6.

POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

• Date Reported MAY 10 2011
  • NHTSA Reference #10039121
  • TSB Reference #TSB-11-5-6
  • Repair Information for NHTSA #10039121

Description: FORD: THERE MAY BE A SLUGGISH ACCELERATION OR HESITATION FEELING WHEN ROLLING TO A STOP. THIS WILL BE FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP. *RM

Complete list for 2011 here: http://www.fordproblems.com/tsbs/Edge/2011/

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 2 weeks later...

Of course they did nothing b/c that TSB did not apply to going around a corner. If anyone can supply one for that instance, it would be appreciated. Instead, they're gonna hook up some black box thing that I have to push a button on when it happens. I am also getting my headlight lens replaced as it has condensation in it that will not go away.

• 2 weeks later...

Transmission Bang

Last night while traveling up a mild grade at around thirty miles an hours with five people in my 2010 FWD Ford Edge there was a loud bang and a big jolt it felt like I ran over a speed bump. It was like it shifted into park for a second. There was nothing in the road so I kept on going an few seconds later after a slight acceleration up another hill the same thing happened; a loud bank and a severe jolt.

I do not know what it was. Has anyone experienced the same thing?

I may of solved my problem. My transmission needed one Qt of fluid. I thought the Edge was like my wifes mustang that has no dip stick for checking the trans fluid level it is 100,000 fluid. I have not had any problems since. It does not leak and there is no signs of drips.

• 1 year later...

I hate to bring up this old thread, but it sounds like I am having the same problem as the OP with my 2011 SEL. Driving along, let off the gas when someone ahead of me brakes, then when I go to accelerate again there's a bang and the whole car jerks.

I see there's a TSB out for this, but I was wondering how much this problem might cost to fix, since I'm outside of my warranty?

Mine did that on occasion, but it wasn't enough to worry me. Then I started to get a Shift to park message after I turned the vehicle off and it was in park. While I was having the BAMR fixed and the seat noise issue they looked at that problem as well. Turns out a transmission linkage was a bit loose so they replaced it under warranty and haven't had neither issue since.

• Like 1

I hate to bring up this old thread, but it sounds like I am having the same problem as the OP with my 2011 SEL. Driving along, let off the gas when someone ahead of me brakes, then when I go to accelerate again there's a bang and the whole car jerks.

I see there's a TSB out for this, but I was wondering how much this problem might cost to fix, since I'm outside of my warranty?

Good morning mrwhatever,

Have you made an appointment with your Ford Dealer? I'm going to look into options on my end.

Mine did that on occasion, but it wasn't enough to worry me. Then I started to get a Shift to park message after I turned the vehicle off and it was in park. While I was having the BAMR fixed and the seat noise issue they looked at that problem as well. Turns out a transmission linkage was a bit loose so they replaced it under warranty and haven't had neither issue since.

Are you still experiencing this concern, tamugrad2013?

Todd

• 5 months later...

07 here, I'm experiencing the hard shift bang problem as well. Then one day it would barely pull itself around in a parking lot. I checked the tranny fluid and it was scorched looking. This was around 108k miles. At about 60k I had asked the dealership about changing the tranny fluid and filter, shop guy said aww we don't touch those until 150k, now I got problems. You would think that in a sealed unit where there is no pan and filter, only screen, they would recommend changing fluid more often and not less often.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's pretty sad what people are being told. As a mfr, you try to test the most "real-world" conditions that you can, and come up with a service interval recommendation. When they say 150K (lifetime), that means the trans can probably last 150K without a fluid change. If the fluid weren't in constant contact with moving parts, I MIGHT agree. But it is being threshed and chewed up the whole time. I certainly wouldn't go 150K on OEM "synthetic" fluid. It's not expensive at all to get a fluid change (not flush) done every 50K-60K, and if you are planning to keep your vehicle, why wouldn't you do it?

• Like 1