Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Double Edged

2011 Ford Edge Limiited comparison High mileage Low mileage DIY

• Please log in to reply
637 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:03 PM

The transmission flush was a good step.  The tranny does not have that braking feeling so much now.  Or maybe it is just because it has been on the interstate for about 1k miles now that I have it.

Barring any sudden issues I will be replacing the brakes all around and also performing a full brake fluid change.  Should be interesting gettting MercyGirl to pump the brakes for me.  I know she knows which pedal is the brake because she drives the golf carts all the time (just wish she would use the brakes more) carts have a few scars. MercyGirl is all GAS and no BRAKE.  God help me!!!

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   PaulSchott

PaulSchott

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 341 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:2007

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:46 AM

Hi Macbwt

Just wondering if the 2008 is still around or if we need to do a memorial service for it.  I'm looking forward to your new videos. 

• macbwt likes this

#23 OFFLINE   evh

evh

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:10 AM

Surprised you haven't named the two as of yet.  Orange Crush was a great name (i.e. Cinnamon Stick, Blue Moon, etc...)  Maybe a job for MercyGirl.

#24 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:11 PM

The orange crush is gone.  Traded at the price of 3300.00 dollars.  You may still be able to see it, most likely in a buy here pay here car lot.  There may be a way to look it up by VIN # to see where it ends up.  If anyone can do that then we all would know.  Update: I did call the dealer who has it and it is still in their lot with no real decision on what to do with it yet.  Usually they whole sale them out right away but the salesman said it was not put on the truck.  Time will tell.   They are probalby trying to figure out why it runs and starts so well.

Hi Macbwt

Just wondering if the 2008 is still around or if we need to do a memorial service for it.  I'm looking forward to your new videos. 

Edited by macbwt, 18 June 2015 - 04:25 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:14 PM

I like your thinking but not sure the wife would like blue moon.  LOL   I have been starting to call the Metallic Blue one just "Blue"  but we will see how the name choices come about.   My youngest "cuddlebug" might want to help.   Now that would be interesting.

Surprised you haven't named the two as of yet.  Orange Crush was a great name (i.e. Cinnamon Stick, Blue Moon, etc...)  Maybe a job for MercyGirl.

#26 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:15 PM

I received an email contact from MOOG yesterday.   Seems they like the sway bar link video and are going to send me some surprise appreciation goodies.  Wonder what it will be?  Coffee cup and ball cap?  Who knows just have to wait and see.

#27 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 7,762 posts
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:28 PM

Now this is what we call "Catching Fire"!  Moog is out there watching social media, I guess!  evh has some great name recommendations, look forward to what MG & CB come up with :)

• macbwt likes this

#28 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:30 PM

IF CB has a choice it will begin with Princess or Fairy.

Now this is what we call "Catching Fire"!  Moog is out there watching social media, I guess!  evh has some great name recommendations, look forward to what MG & CB come up with :)

#29 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

What ya think?  Cinnamon Metallic =  Lullubelle.   Only a few will know where this name came from.  If you need a hint I will provided one later.

#30 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:18 AM

MG and CB came up with some for the Blue Metallic.  Not sure about the choices, but they are avid blue berry fans and what to call it

Blue Berry   - Jury still out.

#31 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:24 AM

One noticable thing on the brake rotors is that the front rotors are vented rotors, but the rear rotors on the 2011's are just a piece of plate steel.   Lower quality rotors are made of graymetal (low carbon steel) and the high carbon are made of alloys of steel, which wold aid in the resistance to rust.  The coatings on the rotors are dipped coatings as a spray finishing would not penetrate the venting like dip coating would.  It will be interesting to see how the new rotors hold up to rust.

I have been thinking of showing a stopping test with the old brakes and a stopping test with the new brakes after installation.  Just need to look for a location to perform this test.

#32 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:08 AM

Great idea!  Come to DC, people "test" their brakes around here all the time.  You'd hardly be noticed.

I have been thinking of showing a stopping test with the old brakes and a stopping test with the new brakes after installation.  Just need to look for a location to perform this test.

• macbwt likes this

#33 OFFLINE   PrinzII

PrinzII

Ford Edge Addict

• 1,553 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:47 PM

In my case, I would have an interesting dichotomy.  My 2008 was bought new.  The 2011 was bought with 18199 on the clock.  So, I am guessing I would have the best of both worlds.

#34 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:04 PM

Some of my family live in Maryland and my brother in law recently "unsuccessfully" tested his brakes on the car he bought two week prior. Now he has a third car.  Country boy living in the big city and he hates being cut off and tailgates.  Not sure how this is going to work out for him.

Great idea!  Come to DC, people "test" their brakes around here all the time.  You'd hardly be noticed.

#35 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:15 PM

I agree the comparison would be Ideal for NEW edges, but alas I have the paycheck I have and used is the price point for me.  A lot of folks buying used edges of this type and mileage and since one is all city driving and one is all highway. the comparison is similar.  Blueberry has 19K yearly mileage (most likely rural/city type)  Lullubelle had an average yearly mileage of about 22K when purchased. Both most likely rural/city mixed driving with Lullubelle getting a slightly higher amount of highway.   Both single owner vehicles from new purchases.  Both apparently had moderate maintenance, but no transmission flushes or cabin air filter changes.  Both are due coolant changes. one is due sparkplugs and PCV since I am in there.

Lullubelle is getting new brakes all around tomorrow morning and a full brake line fluid change.

We will see how the driving conditions and mileage works out.  I am betting on Lullubelle getting new suspension parts.  Blueberry may develop other issue in relation to city driving stresses.  Time will tell.   Not scientific or exactly a great comparison, but might be interesting to watch to see how things progress.

In my case, I would have an interesting dichotomy.  My 2008 was bought new.  The 2011 was bought with 18199 on the clock.  So, I am guessing I would have the best of both worlds.

#36 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:17 PM

Here is a hint on Lullubelle.  The name was used in a 1930's war movie.

#37 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:15 PM

I think we have already learned quite a bit about the Gen 1 Edges via the Orange Crush, and hope to gain similar information over time from the Gen 2's you own, mac.  Albeit I do hope for the maintenance to be routine and of the low-cost variety!

• macbwt likes this

#38 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:20 PM

So far Orange Crush MPG was about 20mpg.   Lullubelle is running a steady 23mpg, but has over 100lbs of pig iron in the back (brake rotors)

#39 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:29 AM

MG has pulled out her union card and demanded an extra hour of sleep.  Summer vacation ya know...LOL  We are getting ready to head out to perform the 4 wheel brake pad and rotor replacement along with a full brake fluid change.  Hopefully Lullubelle cooperates in this adventure.  I will also inspect the noise dampeners on the braking system for those who are interested.

#40 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:51 AM

Good luck and safety first (don't need to tell YOU that LOL) ...

• macbwt likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2011 Ford Edge, Limiited, comparison, High mileage, Low mileage, DIY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users