51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Etienne Bégin

Etienne Bégin

New Edge Member

• Facebook Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

Hi !

Up here in Quebec, I'm on winter tires from the last weeks of October till beginning of May.  That's roughly 24-28 weeks.

Needless to say that driving in winter conditions here is something that needs to be taken seriously :)

I have an edge sport with 21" rims.  I will not put winter tires on those rims.  They are too expensive and I want to protect the rims.  Calcium is used here to de-ice roads and it causes a lot of damage.

With that said, any suggestions on rim and tire sizes that would provide a safe driving experience on snow and ice ?

I'm browsing https://www.canadawheels.ca/

Etienne.

Edited by Etienne Bégin, 23 June 2015 - 08:42 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   cds71

cds71

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 354 posts
  • Region:Canada North
  • Edge's Year:2015

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:00 AM

18 inch steel black rims and gt radial champiro ice pro is what I'm going with....here in Alberta. ...I'm sure our winters are similar to yours.  Used this setup on our torrent suv....and I kid you not...winter driving feels more like summer driving with the champiro ice 

Pros....you can get them studded as well.

• Etienne Bégin likes this

#3 OFFLINE   edgomaniac

edgomaniac

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 8 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:45 AM

I like the site www.1010tires.com. They have a tire size and offset calculator.

Being in Alberta, I feel your pain. Can't start shopping for winter rims and tires soon enough.

#4 OFFLINE   cds71

cds71

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:32 PM

my brother shops at 1010....he says he gets some good deals....Ill have to check it out.  In past Ive bought all my tires and rims from fountain tire....they gave me some pretty competitive prices on everything.

#5 OFFLINE   chanadian85

chanadian85

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 7 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:01 PM

I use 18 Bridgestone Blizzaks here in New England.  I have had them for three years and would recommend them to anyone.  Expensive, but well worth the money.

#6 OFFLINE   Etienne Bégin

Etienne Bégin

New Edge Member

• Facebook Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:22 PM

Thanks to all for the comments!

Anyone has suggestions on USA sites ? I'm 40min from the Maine border so I can go pick up stuff there.  I do it quite often !

#7 OFFLINE   cds71

cds71

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:27 PM

I usually do lots of cross border shopping as well....but lately with the exchange....it just isnt worth it right now.

#8 OFFLINE   Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:19 PM

Thanks to all for the comments!

Anyone has suggestions on USA sites ? I'm 40min from the Maine border so I can go pick up stuff there.  I do it quite often !

Tirerack.com is probably the best for aftermarket rims/tires out of the USA.

#9 OFFLINE   Helgy72

Helgy72

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:22 PM

You won't find any 18"steels for the Edge.... Normally the older edges they used a 17" steel for winter tires, but now that 2015 they changed bolt pattern to 5x108 and also increased the size if the brakes, So the 17" wheels will now not work. Must got to a 18" or larger, but only issue is they do not make the 5x108 wheel on anything bigger than a 17". So now you go from a $70 steel rim to a $200+ Alloy wheel

#10 OFFLINE   Helgy72

Helgy72

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:25 PM

18 inch steel black rims and gt radial champiro ice pro is what I'm going with....here in Alberta. ...I'm sure our winters are similar to yours.  Used this setup on our torrent suv....and I kid you not...winter driving feels more like summer driving with the champiro ice 

Pros....you can get them studded as well.

Let me know what you find for steel rims, because at the moment all the tires shops and wheel shops say they do not make a 5x108 bolt pattern steel wheel.

#11 OFFLINE   cds71

cds71

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:38 AM

You won't find any 18"steels for the Edge.... Normally the older edges they used a 17" steel for winter tires, but now that 2015 they changed bolt pattern to 5x108 and also increased the size if the brakes, So the 17" wheels will now not work. Must got to a 18" or larger, but only issue is they do not make the 5x108 wheel on anything bigger than a 17". So now you go from a $70 steel rim to a $200+ Alloy wheel

Yes.....finding that out now. ...going to keep my eyes open for an alloy set on ebay

.....looks like a person can pick up a set for under 500......which is 40 more per wheel in the plain black steel.

#12 OFFLINE   WingNut

WingNut

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 844 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:49 AM

Tirerack.com is probably the best for aftermarket rims/tires out of the USA.

Yup.  And then I call my local tire place and have them match the prices.  

#13 OFFLINE   knickerbocker

knickerbocker

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 172 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:20 AM

Yup.  And then I call my local tire place and have them match the prices.  

+1.  For Winters I only use Bridgestone Blizzaks and price match 1010Tires at my local dealership to save on shipping costs.

#14 OFFLINE   ExNascarDood

ExNascarDood

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 60 posts
  • Region:Canada Atlantic Provinces
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:15 AM

As sad as it is to believe winter is only around the corner :(  There was a story on the news here last night about people rushing to pre-order snowblowers already given the Farmer's Almanac is calling for even a longer and more harsh winter than last winter (is that even possible lol ???)  In any case, I've decided to go with 17" steelies and snows with TPMS in each rim.  I was always a Michelin X-Ice guy but a couple years back I bought a used set of Blizzak's with 1 winter on them already and was actually quite impressed with them.

I'll hit my local Ford dealer and see what they can do for pricing on either X-Ices or Blizzaks.  I do know that if I buy the rims, tires, and sensors from them they will re-calibrate my TPMS and speedo to compensate for the different tire size and pressure for "free" (included in the package price) and then do the same in the spring when I put my factory 20's back on.   I'm going to try and wait until October to pull the trigger on them.   

I can't believe I'm actually talking about snow tires already :(

#15 OFFLINE   Allydoke

Allydoke

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:21 PM

New to this forum and just picked up a new 2015 Edge sport White Platinum with the 21" wheels. Looking for aftermarket 18" X 8" winter alloys. There are a few nice ones out there but the offsets do not match the OEM 52 mm. Some are 40 mm. Anybody have any experience if this much deviation will adversely affect the steering/handling.

Thanks

#16 OFFLINE   jacksprat

jacksprat

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 40 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Edge's Year:None

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:38 PM

New to this forum and just picked up a new 2015 Edge sport White Platinum with the 21" wheels. Looking for aftermarket 18" X 8" winter alloys. There are a few nice ones out there but the offsets do not match the OEM 52 mm. Some are 40 mm. Anybody have any experience if this much deviation will adversely affect the steering/handling.

Thanks

There are other threads on this same topic, I think; I believe you can just look through some of them.

#17 OFFLINE   GT500R

GT500R

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:23 PM

My winter wheel option.

Focal F06 black option (18 inch)

Blitzzak DM-V2  (245/60/18)

I like the look.  Plus the tires make the speedo barely off (revs per mile is 0.2% off)!

Attached Files

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and knickerbocker like this

#18 OFFLINE   GT500R

GT500R

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:26 PM

Oh, forgot to add two things.

-Stock rim had - 20X8.0J   +52.5mm imprinted on the inside of the rim.

-This rim and tire combo save 6lbs each side.  Stock rim/tire (20inch) weigh 67 lbs and aftermarket  weighed 61 lbs.

#19 OFFLINE   cds71

cds71

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:18 PM

I decided to go with Blitzzak DM-V2  245 50 R20.....on our stock alloy rims and then spend next 12 months finding aftermarket rims for the next following winter.

• GT500R and knickerbocker like this

#20 OFFLINE   knickerbocker

knickerbocker

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 172 posts
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:40 PM

I decided to go with Blitzzak DM-V2  245 50 R20.....on our stock alloy rims and then spend next 12 months finding aftermarket rims for the next following winter.

I think that's the best decision. When I pick up my 2016 I'm getting the Blizzaks mounted to stock rims and find some rims whenever there is a deal in the spring/summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users