Aftermarket wheels and tires for winter

Etienne Bégin

Hi !

Up here in Quebec, I'm on winter tires from the last weeks of October till beginning of May. That's roughly 24-28 weeks.

Needless to say that driving in winter conditions here is something that needs to be taken seriously :)

I have an edge sport with 21" rims. I will not put winter tires on those rims. They are too expensive and I want to protect the rims. Calcium is used here to de-ice roads and it causes a lot of damage.

With that said, any suggestions on rim and tire sizes that would provide a safe driving experience on snow and ice ?

I'm browsing https://www.canadawheels.ca/

Etienne.

Edited by Etienne Bégin

18 inch steel black rims and gt radial champiro ice pro is what I'm going with....here in Alberta. ...I'm sure our winters are similar to yours. Used this setup on our torrent suv....and I kid you not...winter driving feels more like summer driving with the champiro ice

Pros....you can get them studded as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You won't find any 18"steels for the Edge.... Normally the older edges they used a 17" steel for winter tires, but now that 2015 they changed bolt pattern to 5x108 and also increased the size if the brakes, So the 17" wheels will now not work. Must got to a 18" or larger, but only issue is they do not make the 5x108 wheel on anything bigger than a 17". So now you go from a $70 steel rim to a $200+ Alloy wheel

18 inch steel black rims and gt radial champiro ice pro is what I'm going with....here in Alberta. ...I'm sure our winters are similar to yours. Used this setup on our torrent suv....and I kid you not...winter driving feels more like summer driving with the champiro ice

Pros....you can get them studded as well.

Let me know what you find for steel rims, because at the moment all the tires shops and wheel shops say they do not make a 5x108 bolt pattern steel wheel.

You won't find any 18"steels for the Edge.... Normally the older edges they used a 17" steel for winter tires, but now that 2015 they changed bolt pattern to 5x108 and also increased the size if the brakes, So the 17" wheels will now not work. Must got to a 18" or larger, but only issue is they do not make the 5x108 wheel on anything bigger than a 17". So now you go from a $70 steel rim to a $200+ Alloy wheel

Yes.....finding that out now. ...going to keep my eyes open for an alloy set on ebay

.....looks like a person can pick up a set for under 500......which is 40 more per wheel in the plain black steel.

As sad as it is to believe winter is only around the corner :( There was a story on the news here last night about people rushing to pre-order snowblowers already given the Farmer's Almanac is calling for even a longer and more harsh winter than last winter (is that even possible lol ???) In any case, I've decided to go with 17" steelies and snows with TPMS in each rim. I was always a Michelin X-Ice guy but a couple years back I bought a used set of Blizzak's with 1 winter on them already and was actually quite impressed with them.

I'll hit my local Ford dealer and see what they can do for pricing on either X-Ices or Blizzaks. I do know that if I buy the rims, tires, and sensors from them they will re-calibrate my TPMS and speedo to compensate for the different tire size and pressure for "free" (included in the package price) and then do the same in the spring when I put my factory 20's back on. I'm going to try and wait until October to pull the trigger on them.

I can't believe I'm actually talking about snow tires already :(

• 1 month later...

New to this forum and just picked up a new 2015 Edge sport White Platinum with the 21" wheels. Looking for aftermarket 18" X 8" winter alloys. There are a few nice ones out there but the offsets do not match the OEM 52 mm. Some are 40 mm. Anybody have any experience if this much deviation will adversely affect the steering/handling.

Thanks

New to this forum and just picked up a new 2015 Edge sport White Platinum with the 21" wheels. Looking for aftermarket 18" X 8" winter alloys. There are a few nice ones out there but the offsets do not match the OEM 52 mm. Some are 40 mm. Anybody have any experience if this much deviation will adversely affect the steering/handling.

Thanks

There are other threads on this same topic, I think; I believe you can just look through some of them.

I decided to go with Blitzzak DM-V2 245 50 R20.....on our stock alloy rims and then spend next 12 months finding aftermarket rims for the next following winter.

I think that's the best decision. When I pick up my 2016 I'm getting the Blizzaks mounted to stock rims and find some rims whenever there is a deal in the spring/summer.

Etienne, was that $2k+ CAD?

Size & Description Qty Price Each Item Total

18X8.5 ANDROS SPEC Q MGS 4 $159.00 $636.00

315MHZ TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR 4 $36.00 $144.00

245/60R-18 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK DM-V2 4 $166.30 $665.20

Item(s) Total: $1,445.20

Shipping: $350.35

GST: $78.60

PST: $156.88

Duty: $84.72

Provincial Tire Fee: $12.00

Brokerage Fee: $30.00

Order Total: $2,157.75

Credit card charge: 2 938,38$ CAD (@ 1.36)