Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

New to the Edge Sport, mileage question

Sport mileage 3.7

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rmk184

rmk184

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 17 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:45 AM

Hello, New to the Edge.  My wife just got a 2013 Edge Sport with 13K on it.  After a few weeks of driving I'm noticing that the mpg is really low, around 14.5 mpg average mostly driven around town. Obviously its a Sport so the mileage wasn't expected to be high but this seems a little low (my Suburban gets better mileage).  I haven't had it out on the highway any distance to gauge the highway mpg.  Anyone else with a sport notice really low mileage around town?  

Edited by rmk184, 02 July 2015 - 11:10 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   mcali6301

mcali6301

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 253 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

I get about 15mpg AVG driving around town and that's with a light foot just cruising. Once I get on the freeway that numbers rises to about 17.5 I traded my SEL in where I saw about 18 to 19 AVG city and highway, so yea a little disappointment but I like the extra noticeable power..

Just to be clear, I'm getting these numbers from the Trip odometer. In the settings, you can choose to have "enhanced" mode where avg MPG and engine run time also displays. I reset the Trip 1 every time I fill up the tank.

http://owner.ford.co...ntial-data.html

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#3 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,147 posts
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:56 PM

Air filter, oil & filter, tire pressure are all things you can check/change to ensure you get the best mileage.  Since your Sport has very low miles, I'd even be tempted to run a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner through the tank to clean up any deposits.

#4 OFFLINE   rmk184

rmk184

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:37 AM

In addition to the gas mileage being really low the thing would also jerk pretty hard when you touched the gas, you couldn't pull out slowly. Something seemed off so I disconnected the battery to hopefully reset the computer.  The jerk went away and the mileage around town went up to about 15.8mpg.  We got 18.5 on a trip with 70% highway so its not too bad.

#5 OFFLINE   NVRDULL

NVRDULL

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:34 PM

I have a 13 Sport AWD. I run full synthetic, and change every 3 to 5k at most.  I also put in a new air filter every other oil change and keep the tires full.  Im getting about 19 City, 22 Hwy.  

#6 OFFLINE   mcali6301

mcali6301

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:02 PM

I have a 13 Sport AWD. I run full synthetic, and change every 3 to 5k at most.  I also put in a new air filter every other oil change and keep the tires full.  Im getting about 19 City, 22 Hwy.  

I'm jealous, I have the 2011 and get about 15/18 avg I'll get in the 20's during a long freeway trip, I've seen it average as low as 13.5 when zipping around the streets. I swapped the factory filter for my K&N panel when I bought it 2 months ago but when it came to clean the K&N, the factory filter made no difference in HP or MPG. It was probably just letting more dirt into the engine and someone made a good point about newer cars and the MAF adapting to the added airflow anyway which made total sense to me (but let's save that convo for another thread.

I filled my tires to 34psi warm but I still need to check and fill them when cold...

Once I get my next oil change while keeping the factory filter, confirm 35psi when cold I'll pay closer attention to MPG and hopefully start getting some better numbers like you. I doubt the 2 year difference in models should account for it but who knows...

Edited by mcali6301, 12 August 2015 - 12:03 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 2,529 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:24 AM

There is a big difference between the two model years.  The Edge you drive is a non ecoboost.  they changed to Ecoboost in 2012.

I'm jealous, I have the 2011 and get about 15/18 avg I'll get in the 20's during a long freeway trip, I've seen it average as low as 13.5 when zipping around the streets. I swapped the factory filter for my K&N panel when I bought it 2 months ago but when it came to clean the K&N, the factory filter made no difference in HP or MPG. It was probably just letting more dirt into the engine and someone made a good point about newer cars and the MAF adapting to the added airflow anyway which made total sense to me (but let's save that convo for another thread.

I filled my tires to 34psi warm but I still need to check and fill them when cold...

Once I get my next oil change while keeping the factory filter, confirm 35psi when cold I'll pay closer attention to MPG and hopefully start getting some better numbers like you. I doubt the 2 year difference in models should account for it but who knows...

#8 OFFLINE   omar302

omar302

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 1,632 posts
  • Region:Middle East

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:32 AM

34 psi when warm is low. The warmer the air gets, the higher the tire pressure becomes, so when cold your tire pressure will go even below 34 psi.

#9 OFFLINE   omar302

omar302

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 1,632 posts
  • Region:Middle East

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:35 AM

There is a big difference between the two model years.  The Edge you drive is a non ecoboost.  they changed to Ecoboost in 2012.

All 2011-2014 Edge Sport had the same 3.7L V6 engine. The Ecoboost 2.0 was offered as an option on the SEL & Limited models only (maybe also the SE, not sure).

#10 OFFLINE   mcali6301

mcali6301

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:35 AM

34 psi when warm is low. The warmer the air gets, the higher the tire pressure becomes, so when cold your tire pressure will go even below 34 psi.

Thanks for that input, I should know better. I'm going to fix that.

#11 OFFLINE   carguy75

carguy75

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 158 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:41 AM

Your Edge mpg are very low.

My edge was doing at least 16-17 city before I did any work on it with a dirty air filter when i first bought it.

My mileage increased a bit( about 1-2)when I installed my AFE performance air filter and the throttle response increased.

But I feel that I really probably did not get any real horsepower increase, maybe 1-2 hp.

However my Edge do seem more peppy at high rpms with the AEM filter and it make passing a bit easier.

Most aftermarket air filters help non-turbo/supercharge cars just a little, unless they come with very restrictive air filters stock, even then the throttle body size limits any additional airflow, so you will not have much of any noticeable gains beside a bit more mpg and some engine responsiveness with just a drop-in air filter.

Which some owners can feel and others can not.

Synthetic oil also helps increase mpg.

I gained a couple when I started to use Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-20 over the dealer stuff.

I have my tire pressure set to 36 psi cold, and my mileage is an average of about 20-21 mpg in normal city driving(more or less depending on the traffic and hills), but I have the 3.5 engine.

I believe that you will see better gas mileage with your tires having more inflation.

As it stands you are probably having tires that about 28-30 psi cold, hence under-inflated.

You should only set your tire pressure on cold tires(sitting over night if possible).

Edited by carguy75, 14 August 2015 - 08:52 AM.

• mcali6301 likes this

#12 OFFLINE   rmk184

rmk184

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:56 AM

Update:  The computer reset seemed to do the trick on the Edge, I'm much happier with the performance and mileage. It hasn't gone below 16mpg around town (it was in the 14s prior to the reset) and is sitting around 20mpg on the mixed highway and city tank.  Mine was used with 13000 miles on it so there is no telling how it was driven before, it actually sat on the dealer's lot for almost 4 months.  Once its up for an oil change, I'll be switching over to Mobil 1 synthetic so we'll see if that helps even more.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sport, mileage, 3.7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users