New to the Edge Sport, mileage question

rmk184

Hello, New to the Edge. My wife just got a 2013 Edge Sport with 13K on it. After a few weeks of driving I'm noticing that the mpg is really low, around 14.5 mpg average mostly driven around town. Obviously its a Sport so the mileage wasn't expected to be high but this seems a little low (my Suburban gets better mileage). I haven't had it out on the highway any distance to gauge the highway mpg. Anyone else with a sport notice really low mileage around town?

Edited by rmk184

• 2 weeks later...

I get about 15mpg AVG driving around town and that's with a light foot just cruising. Once I get on the freeway that numbers rises to about 17.5 I traded my SEL in where I saw about 18 to 19 AVG city and highway, so yea a little disappointment but I like the extra noticeable power..

Just to be clear, I'm getting these numbers from the Trip odometer. In the settings, you can choose to have "enhanced" mode where avg MPG and engine run time also displays. I reset the Trip 1 every time I fill up the tank.

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/myford-touch/vehicle-health-and-performance/your-vehicles-information-and-essential-data.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to the gas mileage being really low the thing would also jerk pretty hard when you touched the gas, you couldn't pull out slowly. Something seemed off so I disconnected the battery to hopefully reset the computer. The jerk went away and the mileage around town went up to about 15.8mpg. We got 18.5 on a trip with 70% highway so its not too bad.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 13 Sport AWD. I run full synthetic, and change every 3 to 5k at most. I also put in a new air filter every other oil change and keep the tires full. Im getting about 19 City, 22 Hwy.

I'm jealous, I have the 2011 and get about 15/18 avg I'll get in the 20's during a long freeway trip, I've seen it average as low as 13.5 when zipping around the streets. I swapped the factory filter for my K&N panel when I bought it 2 months ago but when it came to clean the K&N, the factory filter made no difference in HP or MPG. It was probably just letting more dirt into the engine and someone made a good point about newer cars and the MAF adapting to the added airflow anyway which made total sense to me (but let's save that convo for another thread.

I filled my tires to 34psi warm but I still need to check and fill them when cold...

Once I get my next oil change while keeping the factory filter, confirm 35psi when cold I'll pay closer attention to MPG and hopefully start getting some better numbers like you. I doubt the 2 year difference in models should account for it but who knows...

Edited by mcali6301

There is a big difference between the two model years. The Edge you drive is a non ecoboost. they changed to Ecoboost in 2012.

I'm jealous, I have the 2011 and get about 15/18 avg I'll get in the 20's during a long freeway trip, I've seen it average as low as 13.5 when zipping around the streets. I swapped the factory filter for my K&N panel when I bought it 2 months ago but when it came to clean the K&N, the factory filter made no difference in HP or MPG. It was probably just letting more dirt into the engine and someone made a good point about newer cars and the MAF adapting to the added airflow anyway which made total sense to me (but let's save that convo for another thread.

I filled my tires to 34psi warm but I still need to check and fill them when cold...

Once I get my next oil change while keeping the factory filter, confirm 35psi when cold I'll pay closer attention to MPG and hopefully start getting some better numbers like you. I doubt the 2 year difference in models should account for it but who knows...

There is a big difference between the two model years. The Edge you drive is a non ecoboost. they changed to Ecoboost in 2012.

All 2011-2014 Edge Sport had the same 3.7L V6 engine. The Ecoboost 2.0 was offered as an option on the SEL & Limited models only (maybe also the SE, not sure).

Your Edge mpg are very low.

My edge was doing at least 16-17 city before I did any work on it with a dirty air filter when i first bought it.

My mileage increased a bit( about 1-2)when I installed my AFE performance air filter and the throttle response increased.

But I feel that I really probably did not get any real horsepower increase, maybe 1-2 hp.

However my Edge do seem more peppy at high rpms with the AEM filter and it make passing a bit easier.

Most aftermarket air filters help non-turbo/supercharge cars just a little, unless they come with very restrictive air filters stock, even then the throttle body size limits any additional airflow, so you will not have much of any noticeable gains beside a bit more mpg and some engine responsiveness with just a drop-in air filter.

Which some owners can feel and others can not.

Synthetic oil also helps increase mpg.

I gained a couple when I started to use Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-20 over the dealer stuff.

I have my tire pressure set to 36 psi cold, and my mileage is an average of about 20-21 mpg in normal city driving(more or less depending on the traffic and hills), but I have the 3.5 engine.

I believe that you will see better gas mileage with your tires having more inflation.

As it stands you are probably having tires that about 28-30 psi cold, hence under-inflated.

You should only set your tire pressure on cold tires(sitting over night if possible).

Edited by carguy75
  • Like 1

Update: The computer reset seemed to do the trick on the Edge, I'm much happier with the performance and mileage. It hasn't gone below 16mpg around town (it was in the 14s prior to the reset) and is sitting around 20mpg on the mixed highway and city tank. Mine was used with 13000 miles on it so there is no telling how it was driven before, it actually sat on the dealer's lot for almost 4 months. Once its up for an oil change, I'll be switching over to Mobil 1 synthetic so we'll see if that helps even more.

• Like 1